Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Stops playing song part-way through

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Last night was the first time I've used virtual DJ in a live DJ environment.

It's a little bit different than what I'm used to. I don't really trust the automatic mixing at all, so I mapped functions to my laptop's keyboard, and used that to control everything. I can do an okay job of it, but hopefully I'll get the hang of it more with time.

The program thus far seems like it's been stable, but I had a couple issues... the most important one is that on two occasions throughout the night, it seemed like the song just quit playing all by itself, before it was done, and I wasn't really ready to mix in the next song so there was dead air.

It could be possible that I hit a key that stopped or paused playback, but I don't think I did. Has anyone else experienced something like this? What could be going on, and what solutions should I look into.

I also heard some crackling in the audio... perhaps that's an ASIO buffer issue, but not as big a deal.

Posted Sun 18 Jun 06 @ 9:36 pm
That the song stopped, must be you... I believe.
Look at your keyboard shortcuts, as its possible to asign several shortcuts to same key (as a macro )

So, maybe some key you are using is also mapped to a feature that stops the song?
It should for sure not stop by itself ;)

Regarding crackles, yes... that means you have to low asio buffer for your soundcard.
If you try to set it lower than the soundcard can handle, you will get crackles.

In fact, if you are not using timecode vinyls/cd's, using WMD drivers will be easier...

Will use this oportunity to also tell you that VDJ4 soon to be released has a brand new sound engine that will make VDJ sound even better, with far better master tempo, pitch and timecode/asio use..
And best of all.. you will have the upgrade for free ;)

Posted Sun 18 Jun 06 @ 9:41 pm
Awesome! I was concerned about having to pay for the upgrade.

Heh... and the master tempo already sounds pretty good compared to craptacular BPM studio that hasn't seen a substantial update in four years plus. (Can you believe that I'm supposed to be a reseller for BPM and this is how I talk about it?)

About the song stopping problem... if nobody else has ever experienced this, then I'll have to assume that I must occasionally have bumped a key that did something. I mapped cue to the enter key, which works great, but maybe I hit enter by accident on occasion or something? I'll look more closely into this.

Posted Sun 18 Jun 06 @ 10:05 pm
yes... as noone else has reported anything like this, I too assume you did something by accident:)

You should check all your keyboard shortcuts, to make sure they are not mapped to several things

Same key... say "enter".. can be mapped to do more than one thing.
As a macro..
But if you have such a "macro" by accident, it would give you something you dont want;)

Posted Sun 18 Jun 06 @ 10:41 pm
Well, I doubt that I mapped a key to more than one thing, or this would probably be happening constantly.

(BTW, I friggin LOVE how you can totally customize the Key Layout in VDJ! That's the bomb!).

But anyways... I must be hitting something (space, maybe, which I mapped to play/pause) by accident.

Or maybe there is a combination of mappings that only presents a problem in strange scenarios... like, it controls the right deck only, so I bump it when working on the left deck and the right deck stops.

eek! I hope I figure it out. I suppose one solution to this is to get a proper controller. I'll look around the forum to see what my options are.

Posted Mon 19 Jun 06 @ 10:38 am
keyboard mapping works fine.. ;) and lots of possibilites

Just use VDJ a lot at home, get used to what keys does what,...
And you wont hit the wrong key again at a gig :)

Posted Mon 19 Jun 06 @ 6:32 pm
Ocassionally i touch the surface of toucpad on my notebook.
Previosly I had S as stop shortcut.
While writing "arash" just after typing "ARA" i accidently hit the touch pad.
This way i was no longer typing into search window, but actually pushing shortuc keys.

Thanks to this i finished with dead air, and ARA typed in the search window.

I cancelled all shortcuts except samples and arrow keys, and am using just DAC2. :-)

Posted Thu 29 Jun 06 @ 10:07 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)