Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: TCV/TCCD - BPM changes detected by VDJ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm interested in setting up a system using timecoded vinyl or CDs, but I have a question about this: does VDJ detect BPM changes when you use these external controls and display the new BPM in VDJ? Or does it just show the default BPM for the track on the screen?

Also, can anyone give a very quick summary of pros and cons of TCV vs. TCCD?

Thanks!

Posted Fri 26 May 06 @ 5:20 pm
Yes now there is a new feature found in 3.4 called "smart pitch" it will detect the pitch percentage increase from your TTs and will move the sliders accordingly in VDJ (just make sure your TTs or CD decks are the same Pitch % as the one in the settings otherwise you might get mixed results although generally works well).

Pros and cons about TTs and CDs

Turntables

pro
- Better manipulation of the music since you can actually touch the record
- Never have to flip the vinyl or remove it to change your song,
- TCVs last a long time before needing to change them
- Close to the same feel as original vinyl feels
- Great look when people look at you

cons

- Bulky
- Heavy
- Still need to haul around 100 vinyls or so to each gig in case VDJ or your PC crashes
- Very costly
- did I mention Bulky?

CDs

pro

- Takes less space (dual decks can fit in 1 box, single decks take about 3/4 of the size of 2 TTs and a mixer)
- Lighter
- Can haul around many more CDs in less room then vinyl
- Cheaper TCCD production since you can download and burn directly on a cd at home (no need to order them online)

cons

- No vinyl feel (although some of the newer more expensive cd decks now offer many more features like spinning platter and real vinyl feel like the Denon and Numark decks ;))
- Less pro look then turntables although CD decks are now very welcomed on the DJ scene .
- Much easier to get stolen due to its weight. (I can't think of much more cons then this but I'm sure other users can maybe add to this list)

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Fri 26 May 06 @ 5:32 pm

Posted Fri 26 May 06 @ 5:35 pm
Wow great, thank you both for the prompt and detailed response! Sounds like CDs are the way to go for the future, especially as CD players are developed with better and better vinyl-like controls! Anyone wanna argue for TCV's?

Posted Fri 26 May 06 @ 7:10 pm
well....I use turntables. I've tried many different CD decks but none are to my liking. Its been too long that I've used turntables and they have become my 2nd nature. Sure certain effects can be done REALLY easilly on CD decks compared to turntables although besides that I prefer my good old TTs ;)

I have the 2 TTx and a DJM909 mixer inside a flight case all connected inside with the u46DJ. Connectors are also installed and connected inside so I just show up to the gig and connect all my wiring to the flight case directly instead of moving anything around.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Fri 26 May 06 @ 7:32 pm
Hmmm, interesting... So you find you have better control of the music with vinyl than with CD players? Is that, do you think, because you used vinyl for so long before CDs, or rather because vinyl is intrinsically more controllable? If so, might CD players catch up in the future?

CDs just seem so much more portable, as you mentioned... But maybe it's worth it to lug around a little weight for the best performance possible :) Another question about TCV's: Does the needle go closer inward as the disc spins, as on regular TT's? That is, it's cool that you don't need to remove the record or flip it over, but do you need to move the needle back to the beginning for each new track? What happens if you take the needle off the record, and move it down on another point? Will VDJ detect the change in position, or just resume right where it left off?

Thanks for your help!

Posted Fri 26 May 06 @ 9:07 pm
yes for the needle you have to lift it and drop it at the begining just like a real vinyl.

For CD players. I've tried many different models but I have yet to try the 800 or1000 from Pioneer or the Numark CDX although I have heard great things from all of them. For me I like the light weight portability that cd players offer although I just find it so much easier for me on vinyl then cd players. Its just a personal preference really. Turntables ARE a lot more work then cd players however and if you read the forums you can tell who are bedroom DJs and others that have been in the business for a long time ;). turntables have wow & flutter which gives your song a pitch variation of +/- 0.1 to 0.3%. you gotta know what to do if your songs drift apart and how to fix it without people knowing about it. CD decks have no fluctuation in pitch which makes long mixes so much easier to do. Another thing about vinyl...and this does NOT go for TCV...regular vinyl has a certain irreplaceable sound that sounds so much better then any cd will ever produce.

its as if there is more punch in the bass (kind of hard to explain in words but it just sounds better on vinyl)

If you want my opinion on the matter I'll tell you like I've told many other DJs.
If you have lots of cds and little vinyl...get cd decks.
If you have lots of vinyl and little cds...get turntables.

Don't chose just cause one looks cooler then the other. that's where you might screw yourself over man. get what you feel comfortable playing with and you'll be 100 times happier and more confident during live gigs cause you'll know your equipment no matter what it is ;) comfort is always first.

Another thing I forgot to mention about turntable cons...gotta change the needle every once in a while due to wear and tear. as opposed to CDs you just gotta clean the lens ;)

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Sat 27 May 06 @ 2:21 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)