Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: and over to something completely different! :) got a HUGE usb2 problem!!!!! - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Not related to VDJ - but as this is an open forum...
I have searched the web, and found no answers.... :(

I have an external usb2 harddrive (freecom 160gb) - connected to WinXP SP1 Home Edition.

Everyting used to work great! And loved my external drive.
BUT NOW - I get a message "hi-speed usb device connected to a non-high usb port" everytime I try to use it, and I get usb1 speed!!! :(
It pops up a window telling me I have 6 usb2 ports available, but no matter what physical port I'm trying to use on my laptop, I get the same message! :(

DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLUE?? PLEASE HELP!

In device manager everything looks ok:
- SiS pci to usb open host controller
- SiS pci to usb2 enhanced host controller
- Usb2 root hub
- usb root hub
- usb root hub
- usb root hub

Thanx in advance

Dj In Norway

Posted Sat 12 Jun 04 @ 1:00 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
You should search for a driver update. Go to your laptop's homesite and dl some new drivers.

FRUiT94

Posted Sun 13 Jun 04 @ 11:23 am
first thing I did...
But there is no such driver.

It says that WinXp Sp1 will provide driver.
But thats when everything started to go bad, I think... got a feeling that win update/hotfix did something, and even tried removed all of them, and reinstall.... result: NOTHING :(((((

PLEASE PLEASE HELP .... :) anybody ??

dj-frustrated-somewhere-up-north

Posted Sun 13 Jun 04 @ 2:03 pm
Have you tried to edit the propeties of the drivers in the component manager? Maybe there's a restriction, that forces your usbs to work in 1.1 mode or something that limits the bitrate? I don't know?

FRUiT94

Posted Sun 13 Jun 04 @ 2:21 pm
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
i'd check the settings in your BIOS and see what it says in there, maby a setting got changed by accident. disable the USB 2 controller in bios and then uninstall the USB2 driver in windows. then reenable it in bios and see if it detects it properly

Posted Sun 13 Jun 04 @ 2:26 pm
Done all that.....
and the problem is still there :(((

Everything looks normal, but get error message when connecting usb2 drive .."hi-speed usb device connected to non-high speed port"....

The strange thing is that it worked like a charm a week ago! so I kinda know its the winxp update/hotfix that made the problem (usb2 update drivers - new hotfix from winxp) - but no matter what I do, I can not reverse it. Even trying to use older drivers (SiS drivers) dont help the problem :(

Been looking for updates from SiS (usb chipset), American megatrends (bios) and Fujitsu-Simens (laptop) - but no updated drivers or anything else indicating a fix.

The strange thing is, when I searched the web for a solution, I only found a bunch of others having the exact same problem (forum at Usbman, EverythingUSB, etc etc), but no solutions for the problem.
I even saw a post from one having the same problem, that he have tried fix it for OVER A YEAR!!!!

God, I get soooooo depressed! I think of myself as an adavanced PC user, usually able to fix driver-problems, or other problems with software, but this nut is just to hard to crack :((

And if I'm gonna be stuck with the problem, all my MP3 collection at my external harddisk (over 70GB - and have used every free time in over 2 months to rip all my cd's to harddrive for VDJ use) will be at a SLOW drive, whatever problems that might make for VDJ use.. or other use.

I guess some kind of reinstall of winxp, or OEM reset (reset to fabric setting) would maybe solve the problem, but only maybe, and deleting all my programsettings, etc is such a hassle...

well, thanx anyway, for giving be things to try.
If anyone else got a tip on what I might try, I would love to hear!

Posted Sun 13 Jun 04 @ 3:31 pm
What about a parallel installation of the OS? That way you could figure out if reinstalling will actually fix the problem. Just a thought...

Posted Mon 14 Jun 04 @ 11:53 am
if you think it is caused by a windows-hotfix, you can reverse it by popping up de windows-control panel, click on software and select the recent hotfix to remove.

hope this will help ya.. :-s

Posted Mon 14 Jun 04 @ 11:55 am
wyworgPRO InfinityMember since 2003
please for this problem the first you must see your bios configuration... the second actually usb drivers and in the end... actually hard disk drivers... bye..

Posted Tue 15 Jun 04 @ 11:44 am
parallel installation of the OS ... how do I do that? what is this? would love to try...

So - my IDE drivers could have something to do with is as well? Because my bios is updated, USB drivers I have tested them all (WinXp new drivers, old SiS drivers and open drivers)... BUT, have NOT updated IDE drivers. Will try that...

Thanx for all help anyway...REALLY hope I can make it work soon :)

Dj iN norway

Posted Tue 15 Jun 04 @ 3:35 pm
DJ-in-Norway: A parallel installation is quite simple. You need a second partition on your harddisk. If you currently have only one huge partition, just use some Software to resize your current partition to free up some space. Tools like Partition Magic (retail) or parted (open source) will do this for you.

Afterwards you just use your Windows CD to do new install of the OS. When you are asked where to put the installation you select the free space/partition you either just created or still had left.

If you only have a recovery version of your OS (like most OEM Versions are), then you are probably out of luck, since these will always recreate the whole harddisk and you will lose your current installation and data.

Even more important: If you don´t have a clue what I was just talking about, you should ask someone who does. Especially the repartitioning should only be done by someone who has sufficient technical background.

Posted Wed 16 Jun 04 @ 10:59 am
Dj in norway, have you tried yet what i sugested?

you told us that you suspect a windowshotfix to be faulty.
you can reverse a hotfix by removing it in add/remove software controlpanel

Posted Wed 16 Jun 04 @ 11:10 am
Hi Mike and Cannonball...

You guys can't imagine how much stuff I have tried to fix this :) LOL...
The only thing I regret is that I did not have System Recovery active, so that I could reverse to a earlier state of Windows.

Saying that, I have removed all hotfixes, no result...
Even reinstalled SP1, no result..
Updated bios, chipset drivers etc.

The thing is, there are several others with same problem :( Searched Google, found many posting at forums with same problem, but have jet to see a solution that works :(

USBMAN (www.usbman.com) even have a whole page regarding my chipset.... shit...
http://www.usbman.com/Guides/SiS%20USB%20Tips%20and%20Tricks.htm

My best guess is that WinXp update did this. U see, my laptop had USB2 support long before window XP released its support for USB2 - so I must have had USB2 drivers originally (that worked great – super speed to external HD). So, when doing a WinXP update, the problem started. Because even when trying to install the original chipset drivers, the problem is still there. Removing hotfixes, and reinstall original driver, still problem...ITS SO ANNOYING!!! :)

So, I guess I'm down to a few choices.... which would be the best (and easiest) way to solve problem?? (I'm fairly experienced pc user, so got no problems with partitioning etc)
(1) Reinstall winxp over the already installed winxp
(2) XP Repair Install over the already installed winxp
(3) OEM install, to reset to fabric settings (deleting most data, but I can make a backup first)
(4) clean install with a new xp version (formatting hardrive first maybe, but this is my last option..lol)
(5) Parallel install (making a second partition)

I'm desperate, because usb1 speed for external drive sucks! LOL :)

thanx for all tips by the way...

dj in norway

Posted Wed 16 Jun 04 @ 1:15 pm
Did you try other hardwares than your HD? Other USB2 hardware I mean? Did the problem persist then?

What I mean is : maybe you look at the wrong place... Maybe the win update updated your HD drivers instead of the usb2 drivers... Did you try to reinstall the HD drivers?

FRUiT94

Posted Wed 16 Jun 04 @ 1:54 pm
i see that your problem is hard to isolate. In my opinion, i would start from scratch, install a fresh WindowsXP, install vdj and hercules drivers.

then! from the point that everything is working, create an image of your hardrive using a imagingpackage like Symantec GHOST. after that.. try to do some updating and keeping record of what update you have done and check vdj after each update.

that's a lot of work, but it is the only way to isolate your problem, besides.. if anything goes wrong, you always have an image of a working system for VDJ use.

Posted Wed 16 Jun 04 @ 2:11 pm
If you are experienced enough, I´d go for the parallel install first. This way you can tell if it´s your windows. If so, I´d do a clean install, but....

The problem is: if it´s really a problem created by a hotfix, it might reoccur in the fresh install as soon as you apply this patch. So you need to isolate that patch as well.

Posted Thu 17 Jun 04 @ 8:57 am
vbjackPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Norway,

What kind of laptop do you have?

Model:
Manufaturer:

-Jack

Posted Thu 17 Jun 04 @ 2:15 pm
Thanx guys...

Think I will try a paralell instal, see if the new install works with usb2.

I fot a Fujitsu-Simens Amilio 6810 laptop.
Mobile pentium 4, SiS chipset... (a chipset that seems to have made trouble for other users as well...)

dj norway

Posted Thu 17 Jun 04 @ 3:31 pm
djlarsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi fella! (får vel skrive engelsk...)

Looked at your problems, don't know if they're fixed yet..
Hope you've found this info, and are up & running now ;o)

http://www.usbman.com/winxpusbguide.htm :
-----------------------------------------------------------
SiS USB Registry Patch (Windows XP)

This patch fixes the undetectable problem with SiS USB controller on Windows XP
SiS USB Registry Patch - Usbdetect.exe - 54KB - 12/17/2001

Note

After you apply the patch, you may need to refresh the USB driver stack

Remove all USB devices (except USB keyboard and/or mouse) from the Device Manager in the following order:

Devices
HID and/or Composite USB
USB Root Hub (s)
USB Host Controller (s)
Shutdown and reboot
-----------------------------------------------------------

Don't know the amilio, but some other lap's have wlan, bluetooth etc. connected to usb internally.
Maybe you have a hotkey for disabling these while rebooting? eg. "Fn"+"F5" (IBM Stinkpad)

Got my usb filterdriver f****d up by a LaCie drive installer, removed the LaCie software and all my firewire and usb devices (seems like all "hotplug") disappeared, no mouse, scanner, drives or burners *sigh*
Only tried a month to fix it, then reinstalled (got mouse back when reapplying LaCie software..)

Go firewire next time, eh?

Posted Tue 31 Aug 04 @ 5:49 pm
hei ja ;)

Actually I still have the same prob..
I tired a lot of tips from the usbman site, but no luck :(

I even reinstalled Winxp home edition, and that did not even help.. So, I'm really really comfused to what may cause this.

The strange thing is that for example Ipod works great in usb2 speed on my on-board usb2 ports, but my external harddrive will not :(

as of now, I bought a card-bus usb2 card, and that gives me ubs2 speed for my external drive. But having a laptop, that means I can not use full speed on harddrive AND internet at the same time (both use the card-bus slot)

Its sooooooooooo anyoing.. lol :)

kinda gave up the whole usb2 thing, and this post-tread is an old one..

but if anyone have a clever solution, I would be VERY happy!!! :)

and firewire might work better .. lol ;)

dj in norway

Posted Tue 31 Aug 04 @ 5:59 pm
56%