Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Finally A Laptop With Hardware Acceleration Works - Page: 4

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

From page 1 of this thread: Dell E1505, Dual Core 2.0Ghz, 120GB sata, 1GB ram, 15inch widescreen, 256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400 HyperMemory, etc etc.

File sizes are around 250MB per video. They are just standard DVD ripped videos. VOB files (MPEG2). No further processing or transcoding done to the video files after they are pulled from the DVD. I believe DVD video standard is 720x480, MPEG2.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 7:17 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Yepp I saw that, but whether the other users who report excellent performance with (laptop) video mixing are using simular file sizes I didn't see, therfore wasn't aimed at you.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 7:41 am
Thanks for the info on what a SFF is. I kinda thought it was a Shuttle. I am looking into building one cause lugging the desktop is getting heavy. If anyone has a system that is a shuttle that works flawlessly I am interested in knowing what is onboard. Another question is can I take stuff out of a desktop including motherboard and transfer it into a shuttle??? Anyone do anything similar??? Thanks again Brian.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 8:20 am
@bagpuss, yes you are correct, the performance does have some bearing on your video file type. Generally I use MPEG-1 files that are around 90MB, which allows acceptable performance from my level laptop. If I use .VOB files, things slow down quite a bit, but I know that a Celeron CPU and shared video memory aren't recommended for playing those type of files from vDJ, so I know what my limitations are and work within them.

@anewsome, I notice in your 1st post of this thread that you reported H/W acceleration working just fine on your new laptop. Then later you report that it is not working after you "hook everything up". What exactly did you mean by "hook everything up" ?

Could it be that after you got to the club and connected to their video system that you had the trouble ? If you connected the s-video out of your laptop to an s-video TV input at home and all was fine, but not so at another venue, I assume you already know that some laptops / XP don't allow you to even activate the 2nd monitor from the XP desktop properties unless it senses a loop from the s-video circuit. Meaning that some equipment with s-video input such as video switches and video distribution amps don't allow windows to see the loop, even though all other aspects of the s-video will work fine once you can turn on the 2nd monitor setting in XP.

Let us know if this may be your situation and I can give you a work-around.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 3:29 pm
Hardware acceleration works fine until you enable the TV out. That's all I meant. Unfortunately I can't mix any videos at the club with everyone looking at my laptop screen. They would quickly crowd me to the point where I could not mix anymore,.. so I need the videos to appear on the big screens.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 7:34 pm
I personally think your best shot is to have a go with the VGA out, also you said you bought quite a few laptops before you had any luck with video, what did you do you with the others? (just curious)

Posted Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 8:07 pm
@ ANEWSOME

Please read this page:
http://www.weethet.nl/english/video_pc2tv_ati.php

Is this how you use the ATI card?

The way you set it up, and if its really a monitor detected, has everything to say.. to make it work

And also, try a cpl of things for pure testing :
1. Disable HT in bios (some reports problems with HT, but mostly in the past)
2. Lower the screen resolution and refresh-rate

Also, try these two softwares for ATI : Catalyst (ONLY the driver, not the software) & Hydravision
http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html

Posted Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 8:26 pm
"I personally think your best shot is to have a go with the VGA out, also you said you bought quite a few laptops before you had any luck with video, what did you do you with the others? (just curious)"

The first laptop (my main gig laptop) would not power on at a gig in Orange County on April 13th (bad luck 13?). It was at Sutra in Newport Beach. I used my backup laptop for the gig (1Ghz celeron, 256MB ram). Good thing I had some software that worked well on such a slow laptop. I sent that one in for repair, it needs a new motherboard. $500 bucks I think. American Express is paying for it on my buyers assurance plan extended warranty thing. Also, note that when I purchased this laptop in Feb 05, the idea of video was just coming into VDJ so I can't say that I purchased it to do music videos. I purchased it to DJ with.

The second laptop, I DID purchase to do music videos. It had Nvidia graphics and didn't work. I still used it at a BUNCH of shows doing music videos though, most notably NAMM. I used Windows Media player to play the videos. Not very mixworthy but worked flawless. This laptop was stolen when I was doing a party for Los Angeles Laker Girl, Nicole Rush:

Nicole, Kwame Brown and a couple of Lakers players: http://www.anewsome.com/myspace/2006-02-18-NICOLE-01.jpg

Nicole and the MJ impersonator (not a very good one either) http://www.anewsome.com/myspace/2006-02-18-NICOLE-02.jpg

Nicole, her roomate and some friends: http://www.anewsome.com/myspace/2006-02-18-NICOLE-03.jpg

Me in the back on the 1's and 2's. And yes that is West Coast Hip-Hop Legend EGYPTIAN LOVER standing to my left! Arabian Prince was also there. No pictures of him though. http://www.anewsome.com/myspace/2006-02-18-NICOLE-04.jpg

Anyway, just some pics to break up this already long post. So Nicole's party was REALLY hot, but my laptop that was running the video slide show was stolen.

The third laptop, I just got on the day I made this post. This was also purchased, just for music videos. This story is not over yet. I have not tried everything to get it working,.. but I'm working on it.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 11:14 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
That basicly sucks, unlucky mate.
I wonder why hardware accelleration is so choosey about which laptops it works with?
Maybe the video engine is new in V4 also?
Who knows.
Looking forward to the changes!

Posted Fri 28 Apr 06 @ 12:43 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Thats some pretty fly looking girls in those pics anewsome!!

Posted Fri 28 Apr 06 @ 3:16 am
Hey anewsome,
thought u might be interested in the specs of a laptop that Hadware Acceleration works fine on with no skipping in audio or video, not even any problems when looping and mixing video.
Dell Inspiron 9300 with,
ATI Mobility Raedon X300,
Intel Centrino M 1.73ghz,
512mb Ram,
60gb HDD,
DVD-RW.
Only problem for you maybe is size issue with it being 17" widescreen(making laptop 16" wide), but i think VDj looks better stretched out.
The screen output is through the S-Video port, but also has VGA and DVI outputs.
This spec shows that performance is not key in getting the video/audio not to skip, i have not even done any modifications to it or upgraded any of the drivers.

Posted Fri 28 Apr 06 @ 2:49 pm
Thanks for the detailed explaination anewsome ;), it just goes to show if the DJ'ing falls through you could always start up your own computer rental service :).

Posted Fri 28 Apr 06 @ 4:23 pm
I use a laptop with Virtual DJ 3.4 for video mixing and have no problems while using the hardware excelleration on TV output. Tv output via TV out port on rear of laptop

The details are:

Novatech crossfire 3200 (Mitac 8355 Barebone)
Amd Athalon 64 3200xp mobility
ATI Radeon Mobilitly 128 mb ddr 9600
1024mb ddr ram
60gb hard drive
54g wireless
Pioneer dvdrw +/-
200gb USB2 hard drive

Sound card - Creative external USB 5.1 (for out put to mixer)

The key to the graphics problem i found was to use a driver mod on the graphics card from the driver heaven website that allows you to use the graphics drivers for desktop pcs on laptops. So effectivley my laptop is running the drivers for an AGP port Ati radeon 9600 / 9700 pro 128mb ddr based for a pc. The advantage over PC drivers for graphics card are that they are not restricted like laptop ones. Laptop ones are designed to use less power to improve battery life where as that is not needed from a PC. Also PC's tend to have more processing power to push towards the graphics card where as laptops have been traditionaly slower. However this is no longer a case with most laptops having the same range of processors a pc can have.

more information on the mod tool http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/

Posted Sat 29 Apr 06 @ 4:40 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Nice, is there something simillar for nvidia ?

Posted Sat 29 Apr 06 @ 5:33 pm
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Nice post guys. Funny though as your not registered? hmm..

Posted Sun 30 Apr 06 @ 10:42 pm

Posted Sun 30 Apr 06 @ 11:19 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
this site would solve his problems too

www.shuttle.com

Posted Sun 30 Apr 06 @ 11:33 pm
Its all right I am not registered as I work along side a DJ who has a the full professional version. The laptop mentioned in my previous post is the one we use. Im just gaining experience with this DJ then I will be starting up on my own soon with of course my own laptop and my own legit copy of VDJ

Posted Mon 01 May 06 @ 2:19 pm
Hope to see you as a full member soon ;)

And yes... this thread is about laptops:) Not desktops or shuttles..
I have no issues with my laptop, its easy to carry, and works great...

If someone wants a shuttle, SFF or desktop, sure go ahead... but Anewsome asked about laptop specs:)

If you doubt that laptops can be used for live gigs, check out these proffesionals:

DJ SASHA

Coldcut (audio and video mixing)

And houndreds more using laptops and ableton ...

Posted Mon 01 May 06 @ 2:45 pm
Forgot to mention before my graphics card in the laptop sits in an PCI-X bus so probably reason why it has faster refresh rates without skipping and is able to handle the acceleration mode in VDj. Also something else that might help is lowering the color quality from 32 to 16 bit colors. It is also a good idea to shutdown any background applications/processes that might be running, in Windows Xp i shutdown everything that windows will allow me to with Ctrl,Alt,Del. Also setting your screen refresh rate to its highest possible setting can reduce flickering. It may sound stupid but removing your wallpaper can increase performace by freeing video memory that is used to display the desktop wallpaper. Let me know if this helps,
Matt A.

Posted Fri 05 May 06 @ 12:33 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)