Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Vinyl Ripping - What's best?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi

On Sunday I decided to try to copy some of my more rare vinyl tracks to my computer. Like many DJs I've got boxes and boxes of old vinyl - a lot of it not available on file sharing.

My first step was to try and use the program that ships with VDJ, Rip Vinyl, but I couldn't get it to work, and a couple of emails with VDJ users who had posted questions hadn't still found solutions. The VDJ program gives an error message which says that it is impossible to save the file. Still might be a solution to that But .. .. .. ..

I thought I'd have a look at other programs and found 2. One called Rip Vinyl set up easily but the demo version puts a sound tone on the file.

Another program called Polderbits Sound Recorder and Editor seemed to work well and the editor part of the program has filters for getting rid of pops, static, scratches etc. There is also an equaliser should you want to change the general eq envelope. Plus it can be used for 14 days before registering. The program also is good at splitting tracks and removing dead space etc. web link is www.polderbits.com

I found polderbits gave me very good sound quality, ripping at CD quality some old disco albums. In particular, the double Donna Summer album with the long versions of enough is enough and on the radio sound good. Now to move on to some of my more obscure 12" 45s.

My question is: -

Has anybody had any experience of other programs which are free, or better than the ones I have tried.

Posted Mon 10 Apr 06 @ 5:45 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)