Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: MP3s take forever to load after playing a video

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Just searched the forums to see if anyone else has had this problem, couldn't find any mention of it....

Used video at a gig with VDJ last night, the video played fine, but afterwards it was taking forever to load an MP3 track, over a minute for an average 12" mix. Restart VDJ, and the track load time is back down to a few seconds. Load another video (I use DIVX & XVID files, usually around 50MB each), and it loads quickly, and plays fine. Follow this with another mp3, and it's back to the one minute+ load time. Any idea what's up? It's as if the video's grabbed a load of system resources, which haven't been released after the video's finished.

My specs:

2.6Ghz Intel Celeron
1GB RAM
256MB Graphics (GeForce 5200)
2x IDE hard disks (1 for operating system, 1 for media)
Gigaport AG sound card
DAC 2

I appreciate this isn't the fastest machine in the world, it was originally built for PCDJ Red. I'll probably be upgrading the chip & graphics anyway, but will this help? Anything I can do in the meantime? Any advice for this vdj newbie would be much appreciated!

john

Posted Thu 23 Mar 06 @ 1:11 pm
anybody? *goes and sits in the lonely corner*

Posted Fri 24 Mar 06 @ 2:05 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
The slow down you describe is deliberate, this is the way the program has been designed. The idea is to ensure system stability. however, when the video file is unloaded and you've played MP3's for a while does the load speed not revert to usual?

Posted Fri 24 Mar 06 @ 2:26 pm
Indeedy, I get the whole system stability feature, it's a good idea! Trouble is it stays like that for the rest of the night even though i stopped playing videos hours ago! I have to restart vdj to get the load speed back to normal. Any thoughts?

ps- just had a look at your blogs, loving that music selection! Wish I got to play more of that kinda thing at my gigs... so sick of 50 Cent & Sean Paul requests...

Posted Fri 24 Mar 06 @ 3:29 pm
Well I'll give it a go... surely the slow loading safety feature should switch itself off when there's no video in the player though?

Just off to try it now... wish me luck! :-)

Posted Fri 24 Mar 06 @ 6:01 pm
This is the way more complex settings are normally changed, but as you know Virtual DJ is ever improving and version 4 is only around the corner, so all sorts of things are sure to get better.

But try this setting change and give me some feedback of how it works for you ;).

Posted Fri 24 Mar 06 @ 6:18 pm
Yep, that seems to work, no dropped frames with the DIVX that was playing, while loading a quite large mp3... nice one bagpuss! I just hope it doesn't affect the stability of my system, which is still a bit of an unknown quantity on this machine - only upgraded from PCDJ a couple of weeks ago.

If it turns out that my machine's not quite up to the job, what would you recommend as the first bit to upgrade? I've been told that my graphics card is a bit slow by someone else on here - does this just result in the odd dropped frame, or can it cause a complete crash? If it's a risk to my system stability, I'd sooner spend some money and swap it for something more powerful than take the chance of seeing the smiley face!

Posted Fri 24 Mar 06 @ 6:22 pm
Looking at your System specs I'd say they are fine.
I think the best thing you can do is test your current configuration extensively before your next gig, that's the best you can do, there is never 100% garuntee a crash wont occur with any software, but with the right settings and testing you can come very close.

Little things like cutting unneeded proccesses, turn off Timestretch in VDJ, keeping the desktop area clean of files and icons minimal, having sufficent Virtual memory, turning off system sounds, having your products latest drivers etc, all these measures and more have varying affect on stability.

It might be an idea to leave your computer on overnight in Automix mode, going from video, video, video, MP3, video, MP3 etc, and when you wake up in the morning see if things are still going smoothly after all those hours ;).

Posted Fri 24 Mar 06 @ 6:43 pm
Thanks for the advice, there's definitely some tweaks I can do from looking at that list of suggestions!

Posted Fri 24 Mar 06 @ 7:29 pm
DjGazUKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I too had the same MP3 loading speed after video so I will try this tip. Cheers!

In my sets I use MP3 and video all way through (or until VDJ crashes). Obviuosly I don't have every track as video. Some bootlegs and mash up's are never going to have video's anyway.

Laptop Specs:
Model: Fujitsu Siemens AMILO D
Processor: Intel Pentium IV- 3.06 GHz
RAM: 2Gig
Hard Drive: 40Gig
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon 9000
External USB2 200Gig drive for music video .avi 3ivX files.

Posted Tue 28 Mar 06 @ 4:41 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)