Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: The 2 songs jump badly out of synch suddenly from time to time, using Hercules

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Anybody else experienced this? They can be in synch for a while, then one will jump out by up to 1/2 a beat! Its damn annoying and there's no way I could put up with this if mixing in public.

Oh yeah, another thing, I use the Hercules DJ Console, and when I use pitch bend, sometimes, it either a: Doesnt have any effect b: Has the OPPOSITE effect! (wtf!? Pitch bend + and it does - !!! Bizarre) And some times it over adjusts the pitch bend. 90% of the time it works fine.

It would surprise me if my first issue, was related. Maybe the times when the pitch bend doesnt work, it stores up the commands (and Ive pressed it repeatedly as it hasnt worked the first time) then a few minutes later BANG its like all of the missing pitch bend commands happen all at once and the songs go badly out of whack!

Any ideas please? I cannot continue to use VDJ etc like this. Which would be a shame, it's easily leagues ahead of other mixing packages. Albeit sometimes the beats dont sound matched when they actually are....which is another issue....but sod it, 1 issue will do for today. So any help on the pitch bend bug and the going out of synch suddenly would be rgeatly appreciated.

Ive tried the original Hercules drivers that came on CD. Ive tried new drivers. Ive tried "Console edition VDJ" and Ive tried the more recent trials. It does it with all of them.

I think it has only been doing this since I started using the console, as I tried VDJ before buying the console and dont recall it doing it then.

Oh another thingl. Since updating the Hercules drivers, my console Cue 1 left deck actually activates the right side deck cue 1 point!! Some other wierd things have been happening with the cue points too.....Anybody heard of this problem?

Thanks for any help

Posted Wed 22 Mar 06 @ 6:58 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
How much RAM do you have on your computer.

The problem of sync where one song will jump ahead or behind up to 1/2 a beat happens to me when i use VDJ on a computer without enough RAM.

Posted Wed 22 Mar 06 @ 8:06 pm
Make sure you have time stretch deactivated in config, and the master tempo off. Can you check this controller on another machine, to see if it is the machine or controller?

Posted Wed 22 Mar 06 @ 11:40 pm
Too much ram if anything.1.5gig. Will check the config though as mentioned and will report back with any news, thanks for the tip

Posted Fri 24 Mar 06 @ 2:31 am
Time stretch was enabled. Will try it for a few hours tomorrow and see how it goes, as it only happens every hmmm dunno, 30 mins or so?

master tempo is always off, i found that thing can cause huge probs early on in my VDJ mixing days!

Might be able to try it on another machine actually yes, if the time stretch thing doesnt make any difference I will try on a friends machine (the lucky b*stard has a MKII console. I am jealous!")
hehe

Posted Fri 24 Mar 06 @ 2:34 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
You mentioned the beats sounding "off" when in fact they are matched. By "matched" I take it you mean the waveform peaks of both tracks are perfectly aligned. I've found this myself, and it's not a fault of VDJ, it's done what it said on the tin and aligned the beats perfectly. What sometimes happens is two drum beats from different tracks just seem to cancel each other out when mixed together, i guess it's just a phase issue, and one that you can replicate on CD or vinyl. The bpms are synched up, but it sounds wrong somehow. I find if you just give the pitch bend a little nudge, it'll still be close enough to sound matched, but that tiny little offset stops that "muted beats" effect...

Posted Fri 24 Mar 06 @ 3:49 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)