Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: virtualdj version 4 - can we take off the 3 effect slots? - Page: 3

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Juju 34PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hello
Modestly , the working mode of everyone is really one...
So for the poll : i never use two effects simultaneously , and the idea for news mode controls effects is great.
Best regards

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 12:00 pm
I use sometimes 2 effetcs simultaneously but never 3.

That's why I think it's a good idea, but how wil it work with the djconsole?

Why not try...

Body-Blown

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 12:04 pm
TotyoHome userMember since 2006
I dont really agree with this idea.
anyway if you take out the 3 effect slots I would be very pleased if this solution were compatible with my Home edition VDJ and DJ control mp3 's 1, 2, 3, buttons.
(I dont want to apply effects with my mouse, I want to use the 123 buttons on my console without djc mapper [I am a home editon user])

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 1:49 pm
TotyoHome userMember since 2006
ohh and I never use 2 effects at the same time

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 1:52 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Bagpuss is right. i agree :)

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 3:18 pm
I must admit that I do agree with Bagpuss and Apopsis on this one. It would mean too much work looking for the effects when right now they are there.

MS

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 5:06 pm
Dev staff
thats not a good idea why? because then i can't have more then one effect going as a real dj u gotta have more then one effect going. My opinion is that having just one effect at a time will cause problems and alot of hassle. how about five effects or something if you can put 12 samples i think u guys can put like 5 or 6 effects.
thank you for letting us choose our opinions on the next version

DjHaPpEe

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 5:50 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
@DjHapPeE
actually i didn's see a real DJ on cd-players or turntables that uses more than 1 efx at the same time :) because they have efxs on mixer not on cd-player too. ok new cd-players have own efxs...

but it's good idea to not have to load them

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 7:17 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
these Dev threads get pretty long fast.. but was it stated somewhere why this is being asked or suggested? I like the way it is and would want it to stay that way as already said it will be a step backwards, But if need be i wouldn't mind putting multi-efx on hold if we can have a improved sound engine sooner.

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 7:49 pm
HaywardPRO InfinityMember since 2005
yes, removing the abilty to do more than 1 effect would be a problem.

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 7:50 pm
Please leave the 3 effects.....remixing requires all 3 effects
1 is always on eq 32
2 to play with....
thank you.lol
Andre

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 8:46 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Quite possibly the greatest advantage of the effects layout as it is, would have to be the fact that there is no real time frame between using 'switching' between different effects, you can seamlessly mix from one effect in to another if you wish to, an example of this would be triggering a rocketing Flanger into a Brake effect, or two beats "Cutting" followed by two beats of Flanger, or any other viable combination.

Another side note to the Idea I outlined
With 6 effects (as they are) channel assignable, apart from having 6 pre-loaded effects accesible to any channel or Master output (chan1+2), there could be Three medium size buttons appropiately placed:

Assign all to Chan1
Assign all to Chan2
Assign all to Master

Selecting any of the above buttons would mean that all effects (6 loaded) active/activated would be sent to the selected destination. They would be great 'bonus' buttons for when manipulating one deck, when you quickly want all pre loaded effects to be applied to that deck or even if you want to apply all to the master output, whilst in the mix a flanger or Drum roll (Beatgrid) to the master could be very impressive, it would be an impressive feature.

The general way of altering which channel an effect applies too would be changed on each effect button, you have the large square which turns on/off the effect, but as a function enhancement you could have three smaller squares which dictate it's destination:

When the "Send All" function is activated it would override each effects 'independent' channel assigner, when deactivated each Effect slot is totally independent.

Please note I haven't uploaded this to show off my drawing skills, It's just easier to understand the concept when you have something to look at.

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 10:05 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Perfect view !!!
I like it very much as it's easy and powerfull

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 10:08 pm

Almost all dj hardware (mixers and decks) have only ONE FX at a time...

If removing the 3 fx slots would make the development of VDJ 4 easier, they can be removed in my opinion.

Although Bagpuss idea looks great... ;)

what I would like to see, is the possibility to asign the FX to master out though :)

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 10:08 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
i wouldt realy mind ether way because i tend not to use effects. id rather have one decent flanger (that lets you change the peramiters without making funny noises) than have 3 effects at the same time.

more controll less clutter!

and please please please let you use atleast 1 effect on the master out

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 10:16 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Thanks for the support guys :), It would also be nice to see something simular on the sampler, where each sample is channel assignable on the fly.

Posted Thu 16 Mar 06 @ 12:34 am
My thoughts for ths is the same as many posted already, if you can keep at least 2 effects buttons wuld be great, I usually use the flanger effect and the backspin or flipping doubles on another, never used them at the same time though, but it is nice to have 2 buttons at least so you don't have to go to the effects tab and asign them in just une button everytime you want to use them.

thanks.

Posted Thu 16 Mar 06 @ 2:08 am
Hey, I am still a newB..
but Bagpuss´ idea seems rather cool.. I accually been missing that.. If you know what i mean?
Well at least a L R and Master, on each effect..
That would be awsome :-)

This gonna be big fun... I think

:-)

Posted Thu 16 Mar 06 @ 7:57 am
I Think Bagpus idea is great and means a good improvement for new virtual dj version. I personally use sometimes 3 effects simultaneously. what i do is to assign the 3 effects i like more to each deck. I don't like to play too much with strange effects, i just use a few, but some work great together, and having only one effect slot instead of three i think it's a step back.

Another point is that:
many users don't use more than 1 effect at a time, good.
Some users use the video feature, which i don't use, good too.

Why the ones that don't do this and use effects have to loose this feature, considering that most of the last improvements (i.e. the video feature) were not useful for them?

For me it's better if the effects section is improved, with more slot affects or assignable routings as bagpus example, with dry and wet sliders and even volume effects sliders. That would be a great improvement of virtual dj for me, aswell as better audio performance, rather than making it less useful for not being able to use more than 1 effect at a time, even if i can select better the effect.

:)

Posted Thu 16 Mar 06 @ 11:00 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
dj in norway wrote:"Almost all dj hardware (mixers and decks) have only ONE FX at a time..."
-That's because in hardware every effect needs a separate effect unit, and this cost money.
In software we can have theoretically unlimited effects / channels etc. (cpu is the limit)
------------------------

Ok, i understand, dev staff needs to bring the effects in the main page/skin while most of us need to keep all the advantages the current system have... (easy of use, direct access, more than one, etc...)

So , after ...thinking and thinking, (and using my 15+ years experiance on production software like cubase, sonar etc...) here is my ideas to combine these and also retain compatibility with the existing skins wich is a issue.
-----------------------

1. Keep the effect page as it is and add 3 more slots (6 total -FIXED- fx slots per channel)
OR, Start blank and let the user to create the fx slots he needs (unlimited with drag and drop.), instead of have 3 or 6 fixed.
This page is the setup/edit page where we can fill up the existing effect slots, or create the number of slots according to the needs, and edit them as usual.

2. In the main skin keep the effect buttons for direct access, and add:
The virtual -basic- effect knobs (dry/wet etc.) and the drop-down menu (as Dev staff said)
The drop down menu is where we can choose which one of the effect slots to control from the main page.
IMPORTANT:This menu must to show the effect slots and not all dll's (also safe for baggy plugins to load on the fly)

3. Retain the existing functionallity to direct access effect slots from keyboard shortcuts.

4. The -LAST USED- effect slot (shortcut, or midi or effects page), must be the "focused" slot and shown automatically in the main skin, so that the "basic controls" represent this slot.
(There is already an "effect_select" action wich i use along the effect button to select the effect i use now... this can be done automatically for the main page and effects page)

5. The "focused" (last used) effect slot, must have the full priority on midi controls too..
Like in a hardware digital mixer or a Mackie control...
So you actually select the effect slot from the drop down menu or directly from keyboard or midi (automatically on activate), then use the mouse to control the basic controls on screen,
or (professional) use a midi controller with knobs to contol the basic parameters of the "focused" effect slot.
So the term "focused" slot is something like the "default" deck in players...

6. If the parameters of every effect are saved/retained on load as dev staff said, this is amazing. The virtual knobs on skin can updated too...
So if i use a delay with a wet/dry ratio to 30% (as send eff.) when i call a backspin or brake or eq (insert effects) the knob on skin to uptated to 100% wet.
ONLY FIND A WAY FOR VST's to retain parameters too...

7. Additional ideas:
-A master section for insert effects like my lovely BBE vst, or a hi-Q (for the effects page)
-A filter section (like in traktor) for every deck in the main page.
This is just 4 virtual knobs (midi mappable): resonanse, amount, etc, for us we can't afford an Xone 92 or 62 mixer...
---------------------

That's for now, i feel tired after so much thinking...

Posted Thu 16 Mar 06 @ 11:19 am
58%