Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: **Important** if you have less than 1 GB of ram

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003

Low ram users 512 or less please post your swap file size the setting can be found under control panel -> System ->advanced tab in 2000/xp I may have a solution for glitches caused by this setting.

Thanks

Jason

Posted Wed 19 May 04 @ 3:36 pm
My paging file has an initial size of 768MB, and a max size of 1536MB. I have 512MB DDR (PC2100) RAM.

macourteau

Posted Wed 19 May 04 @ 4:03 pm
I set mine manually to 384MB, on XP. I have 512MB ram, and I have been having no problems since reinstalling, XP only and VDJ, Direct X9, and no other (Microcrap patches).......
No service packs
No critical updates,
and it runs much better than my previous install with all the "fixes"......lol

Sorry for the rant, I just wanted to point out it runs better for me without the fixes....(BTW I also usually run Visi-Trax simultaneously in the background with no problems).

Posted Wed 19 May 04 @ 4:32 pm
Stevie Ray,

you really should be running SP1 if you have a drive over 137 gb :)

I recomend changing the swap file setting to

initial size of 1536MB, and a max size of 4096MB. I have a theroy but I need your help to see if its true, run these settings and see if performane improves in ram and memory intense sections of the program ie 8 beat loops, reverse plugings loading autoplay etc, see if its any better.

Posted Wed 19 May 04 @ 4:40 pm
Cyder sorry, It's in my notebook, and I only have a 20GB in it. I am for now only doing the digital thing as a supplement to my rig, I only have about 1000 songs on it, and the system partition is 4GB, with 16GB set aside for music, so I couldn't make a min-max swap file of 1-4GB (on the system partition). Also I actually find the way I have mine set up, using (system mechanics) performance monitor. With Virtual DJ playing 2 songs/looping ect, my memory usage total including Windows doesn't exceed 280MB. I am working on building a studio machine at home, and that I will have more room for experimenting, so once I'm done with that I'll be more than happy to help you out. ;)

Posted Wed 19 May 04 @ 6:30 pm
I'll try that as soon as I can... However I've never had any problems with the 8-beat loop, and I can't try the plugins (DJConsole user). However I don't think the pagefile makes a great difference in performance: if the computer needs more RAM than it is available it will use the paging file, but that will slow down the PC as the pagefile is on the harddrive (MUCH slower than RAM).

Usually, a good setting is initial: 2 times the amount of RAM and maximum: 4 times the amount of RAM.

Cheers, macourteau

Posted Thu 20 May 04 @ 11:21 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Cyder I have 512ddr on my laptop and I will try this config this weekend.

Posted Thu 20 May 04 @ 7:48 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Using an amd athlon 1800+ with 256 RAM.

Initial pagefile size: 384Mo
Actually used: 591Mo
Max size allowed: 768Mo

VDJ Max charge: 10min

VDJ runs well and smooth, until I put one or two songs longer than 8mn.

FRUiT94

Posted Thu 20 May 04 @ 8:49 pm
any of you have hard drive activity lights? Whathappens when you load a song into vdj. Tick tick tick, whats it doing? paging perhaps :)

Posted Fri 21 May 04 @ 3:07 am
That's what a swap file does, pages info to and from the drive.

Posted Fri 21 May 04 @ 3:52 am
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
For me , no clicks and ticks, but the light becomes red until a song is totally charged. After that the light turns off.

Posted Fri 21 May 04 @ 10:12 am
That's because VDJ is loading the file from the hard drive ;)

Posted Fri 21 May 04 @ 11:20 am
not talking about loading my hdd light comes on while playing, and I have a gig of ram.

Posted Fri 21 May 04 @ 1:30 pm
Cyder,
For a test on your own. Completely turn off the swap file. With a gig of ram it should hold XP, VDJ, and 2 songs no problem. And it may actually be smoother. I tried it myself with 512MB, and it works. It's just annoying because Windows keeps popping up "You have the swap file turned off" messages, and that the machine won't work.....Funny because it does this while it's working. Ahh the magic of Windows.

Actually if you want to see something really funny. Put a 500MB drive or make a 500MB partition, and install Windows 95 on a machine with 1GB ram. If you turn off the swap file it will give you errors that there is not enough RAM? lol. You can fit Win 95 about 18 times in 1GB of Ram.

Posted Fri 21 May 04 @ 3:23 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)