Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Need advices regarding Mp3-ripping

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

rikardPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi all,

Just bought VDJ and have already had much joy of the software, though I need some basic advices about ripping of Mp3. I have ripped some music into 128 kbps (lame codec), but now-a-days 192 kbps (lame aswell), but some of the titels seems distorted, so how are you pros doing?

Which rate, compression mode (linear, VBR etc) should I use? My preference is latin music (salsa and merengue in general), but I play oldies (late 60:s), disco (80:s) aswell as todays music (techno, house etc). I'm using the CDex-program for the ripping.

TIA
Rikard

Posted Sat 28 Jan 06 @ 11:53 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
rikard,

I recommend you to do 2 test and pick the one that you feel better.

Select a song and RIP it using VBR in 192KHz, after that use the same song (in CD) and RIP it in 320KHz CBR. Salsa and music with many instruments needs a good rip(and a fast too) to sound good.

Try these and let me know how it works for you.

I use RealPlayer 10 to rip my CD's and VBR 192KHz... The songs sounds like the original CD to me.

Posted Sun 29 Jan 06 @ 6:03 am
rikardPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Thanks for your answer, acw_dj. I did as you suggested (and even went one step further). I ripped a the same file three times, and with following settings:

- 192/320 kbps (VBR), all other settings more or less as "default" (resulted in a BR of 201 kbps)
- 192/320 kbps (VBR), all settings to best quality (resulted in a BR of 228 kbps)
- 320 kbps (CBR), all settings to best quality

I could not hear any difference at all when I compared the files (though I do not have any "trained ear" either). The file size went from 6.7 to 7.6 and 10.5 MB. I could notice one thing when I ripped at 192 kbps at the highest quality though - the BR went from 201 to 228, but thats all really ...

The thing is that I am about to start ripping alot of my CD:s, and since I'm a n00b at this, I don't want any regrets of the settings ..

Thanks again!
Rikard

Posted Mon 30 Jan 06 @ 12:04 am
rikard,

If you got enough space, rip them in 320KHz. I use all my rips at 192KHz~320KHz VBR and as you notice, there is a very good quality. If you compare it with the original CD song, you don't will notice any difference at all.

I sugest you to use VBR because you could have very good quality in less space. If the harddisk space isn't an issue for you, then ripp at 320KHz CBR.

Some songs will be better to ripp them this way, but others will be enough with 192KHz in CBR or 192KHz in VBR.

Some people don't like VBR because it uses more CPU to get ripped, but I don't found any problem in my system with them or in VDJ. All this files work like a charm for me.

Posted Sun 05 Feb 06 @ 1:43 pm
dougtekHome userMember since 2005
This is interesting beause i have been ripping all of my music from cd using itunes and now have no idea if the KHz is sufficient or not... there has never been an option suggested to me about the quality of the "rip" by said software//\ sorry to be so green but how to you change that??

Posted Mon 06 Feb 06 @ 6:18 am

iTunes Ripp them in .ACC o Mp4 by default. There are software that change between formats, but I don't remember now... Tell you in a few... nBut ACC is a good audio format too.

Posted Tue 07 Feb 06 @ 10:13 am
@ dougtek
When you rip a cd using iTunes you go to the edit tab choose options and import then you can change the rate and the format of the rip. It also gives you options on burnig a cd as well. Hope this helps

Nikki

Posted Tue 07 Feb 06 @ 11:44 am

The software is dbpowerAMP. You can change from one format to other. But you can also change your iTunes settings to save in other format and rate too.

Good Luck!

Posted Sat 11 Feb 06 @ 7:01 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i like to use 192(cbr) if you have variable and constants mixed together i'm always afraid of tracks that start drifting out of a beatmix.

Posted Mon 13 Feb 06 @ 8:12 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)