Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DJ Control MP3 -> too silent monitoring through headphones

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi!

I bought the DJ Control MP3 a couple of weeks ago. It works perfectly, I do not have any complaints about the machine, I can mix songs like I've never done anything else in my life.

As a present, I got an wireless Phillips headphone, which I hoped to use to improve my mixing skills, for example to preview the next song that I will be mixing. I was very enthusiastic about this and plugged in the microphone (I have a soundcard with a stereo output of 4 channels - I think I have that, there are 4 colours with the same soundcardlogo + a black one (where I plug in my headphones)).

It worked, I heard the music in my boxes + in the headphone, at the same time! I followed the instructions in the DJ Control MP3 User Manual, which says that you can use the headphone monitoring buttons to preview the songs and switch from one deck to another)

This does not work properly for me, and as I have read on this forum, some other people have a similar problem, but I have not read one who has the same as me (so I started a new topic, my apologies).
I have the problem that when I put the volume slider in deck A on 0 (all the way down) and I push the monitoring button on deck B, I hear song B very silently in my headphones!!

And song A (which is also silent in my headphones, because the volume slider is on 0) is ALSO SILENT, but now in the BOXES. Shouldn't it continue to play in the boxes when I press the monitoring B-button?

I want as a result => song A is playing in the boxes, I want to preview song B in the headphones, when I think the mix is ok, I want to play the mix that I prepared in my headphones in the boxes.

Who can help me? Am I doing something wrong here? Is it normal that it is too silent in my headphones?

Which are the possible problems and solutions?

Thanks in advance!!
Stef.

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 11:13 am
First of all, update the driver fix for Virtual DJ 3.2 at Hercules. (www.hercules.com)

Now, what do you mean by volume sliders?
You dont use the crossfader, but the volume sliders, when mixing?
Thats probably just fine, but might have something to say regarding headphone volume (not sure)

Anyway, if you want to use the console as mixer, and prelisten directly from the console, make sure you have the correct setup in Virtual DJ, and for the console.

It should not be low volume at all....

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 11:40 am
Why do I need to update? I just bought it a couple of weeks ago...

Volume sliders = when you control the volume...
Surely I use the crossfader when mixing... But the problem is:

Suppose

-> Song A in Deck A - 128 BPM -> I hear it through the boxes
-> I load song B in Deck B - 130 BPM -> I have not started the song yet, because I don't know if it's going to match
-> I press the monitoring B-button to preview song B in my headphones (still A in boxes)
-> I DO NOT HEAR B IN MY HEADPHONES!
-> I hear B VERY SILENTLY in my headphones when I set the crossfader completely on side B (to the right) and when I set volume slider A to 0 (all the way down)
-> When I set the volume sliders to normal, I hear them in the boxes, even when I press the monitoring B-button

-> So... I hear everything in the boxes, but I want to preview song B ONLY in my headphones, not in the boxes...

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 11:51 am
If you updated to Virtual DJ 3.2, then you HAVE TO update to the drivers and firmware adapted for Virtual DJ 3.2 from Hercules (please visit www.hercules.com for their Virtual DJ 3.2 update)

Its very important for features such as headphone prelisten and other features.

And please (after the update) check this :
- there is a limitation to the free console version of Virtual DJ. You must keep the prelisten button PRESSED all the time you prelisten
- in front of the Hercules (at least the MK2 model) there are lots of choices for what to prelisten too. Please check that. Depending on how your software / hardware solution works (not tested the mp3 model), you might physically change sides with the headphone knob
- if you select "mix" for headset knob you will hear your actual mix (and prelisten will be affected by crossfader), if you set prelisten to "split" you need to adjust the "headphone_mix" value in Virtual DJ (either by skin slider in some skins, or by keyboard shortcut)

hope that helps a bit :)

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 12:01 pm
I updated it (as you said - login to website, download 3.2, installed it... but how do I know if I am using it correctly? Nothing changes in the layout...)

I've done that so far... Nothing changes... I still can't prelisten. I know I have to keep the button pressed, that's no problem... But I'm still prelistening through the boxes, and that can't be right. I only want to prelisten through the headphones...

Remark: At the top of the screen, there are two volumesetters (next to the clock). One for master, one for headphones. I can move the master, but not the one for headphones. Although I have indicated in CONFIG and SOUND CARDS that I have a headphone -> it says (headphones on 4.1 rear output - use the soundconfig selector for complete headphones support - pro version only). Maybe it's that?

But I can't believe that, because the photo on the user manual shows a dj previewing the songs through his headphones and on the website it says so too that you can do that.

But I can't...

(I want to thank you for your help already, don't give up on me :d)

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 12:28 pm
we will not give up on you, we never do until we know you got it working correct ;) hehe

Now, let me just initially ask you a few questions so that we can narrow down the issue:

1. have you ALSO updated the firmware and drivers from Hercules ? YOU NEED TO for Virtual DJ 3.2
2. What kind of soundcard are you using? Specifiy model/brand
3. What soundcard configuration have you choosen inside Virtual DJ?
4. at your 4.1/5.1 soundcard, what channels have you connected speakers, and what channels have you connected headphone

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 1:24 pm
"Remark: At the top of the screen, there are two volumesetters (next to the clock). One for master, one for headphones. I can move the master, but not the one for headphones. Although I have indicated in CONFIG and SOUND CARDS that I have a headphone -> it says (headphones on 4.1 rear output - use the soundconfig selector for complete headphones support - pro version only). Maybe it's that?"

Please try for example the Pioneer 700 skin, there there are TWO sliders for headphone, adding HEADPHONE MIX (might help).

And please make sure you dont use a soundcard setup for the PRO VERSION ONLY, in your version.
Because that will not work.

You need to choose the option AVALABLE in your version :
- 4.1 soundcard, with prelisten on rear output (this one is available correct??)

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 1:28 pm
I have changed the settings of my boxes (Control Panel - Sounds and Audio - Advanced Speaker Settings - 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers)

Now I can hear the music loud and clear when I push the monitoring button. So that (major) problem is (pretty easily) fixed. But I still can't preview only in my headphones. The previewing still goes on in the boxes AND in the headphones...

btw, I tried the 700-skin as you said, but it didn't help... Still can't move that volumeslider on the top.

Posted Thu 05 Jan 06 @ 10:25 am
Hello all,

I got a similar problem, seems that the Console and / or Software is not that good as I always thought..

I own DJ console MK2 for 6 month, using the packaged VirtualDJ 3.4 (non-pro). This means I can only select the DJ-console as output hardware. This worked fine until 2 weeks ago.

Suddenly (I did not update anything manually), the SPLI for headphone did not work proper. What I get now in "SPLIT" is a mix of bothe decks in MONO on BOTH earphones... No more "Left-Right" split of the two decks...
I also get some distortion when starting the deck to mix in...

I downloaded the trial version 4.0 now but it did not solve the Problem.. So I bought a new console just 3 days ago with the SAME RESULT... I guess the probability of this error happening on TWO independent consoles is relatively low (but who knows...) Does anybody have an idea? I tried 3 PCs, several re-installation of software and drivers, always getting the same result..

Posted Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 8:31 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)