Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Video Skipping Stuttering Jumping - looking for the right word to define problem

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djtybPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Here's my system:

Athlon XP 64 3200+
1GB Dual Channel Ram
3 - 300GB Hard Drives
GF 6600 256MB PCI-E Video Card
M-Audio 1010LT sound card with ASIO drivers
Virtual DJ 3.2
Allen & Heath X92
2 - Denon DN-S3500 CD Players
TCCDs

I am spinning VOB files exclusivly ripped from Promo Only & VMS VJ Tools DVDs

When I am playing a file from one deck only, things look PERFECT.

As soon as I cue up a second video the 'playing' video starts to jump a little (hard to explain)

Posted Wed 07 Dec 05 @ 7:54 am
Is It jumping on the screens that people see, or the monitors in the software, that you see?

Posted Wed 07 Dec 05 @ 8:23 am
Both PC and output to screens.

Posted Thu 08 Dec 05 @ 6:51 am
I wish that someone from Atomix would come in here and answer/address some issues...grrrrrr.

This is the second issue I have posted here and noone from Atomix support has commented.

I have a question...Do SATA hard drives have that much better throughput that UDMA133?? I wonder if trying to push TWO VOB data streams is bottlenecking the system. Thoughts? Is it CPU horsepower? Hard Disk throughput? Memory?I thought VDJ buffered the entire track? So, is it system memory...yes, I am thinking out loud here.

Anyone help ???

Posted Fri 09 Dec 05 @ 10:58 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
First of all, if it was an Atomix or program issue more people would be complaining about it, and that is just not the case. The complaints are few of this nature providing the right hardware is in place and the system is clean and set up properly.
Your hardware looks sufficient, however.......if I remember, ValentineDJ had a simular problem with a PCI-E video card. Not sure what the problem is or was with it, but he had equal specs and was having a problem like yours.

These are things that get discovered along the way, nobody has all the answers, there are too many variables. To achieve what VDJ is capable of is very system intencive as we all are finding out., so much so that most draw the line somewhere between laptops and rack units.
The other big variable is what is going on with each system with respect to cpu load.
(not that this is your case but) If you load up a system with all kinds of crap that is running even at idle, or have spyware, virusus or virus protection running you probably have exceeded the threshold and VDJ will run out of gas and choke. With every release has come improvements that take horsepower to run properly. So one might think that because it doesn't run properly it's a bug or defect, but it's not.
All of these releases have had the snot beat out of them by beta testers prior to being released.

Nobody has all of the answers particularly with it comes to using new hardware that most of us aren't using such as PCI-E cards. Even the latest drivers in some cases can cause problems, it is in the setup of your machine in most cases, not the program. Finding these problems is not easy, it can be very frustrating. You need to look under every rock to find the answer and sometimes that takes time.
Personally, I have bought and installed 3 different video cards in the last 18 months, it kicked my ass also.
If someone has your specific answer to the problem you know they would have spoke up, just don't be mad at Atomix for not responding.

Posted Fri 09 Dec 05 @ 12:16 pm
So, are you suggesting that an AGP card may do the trick ?

Posted Sat 10 Dec 05 @ 12:13 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I would use a gt 6600 or 6800 card, the forum is full of success stories with this card.

Posted Sat 10 Dec 05 @ 2:24 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
djtyb,

Iin fact, 6600GT is the best card you can get for the money. Is obvious to me that you have problems in your current windows configuration, your system is not in shape. You have all you need to have a good video performance with VDJ.

I sugest a cople things to do before we look in other place. First download the last drivers of your current 6600GT in website of your brand video card (Gigabyte or Leadtek for example). Uninstall your current video drivers and install the new ones. Second as Rick saids, VantineDJ has similar problems like you have, look at the General Forum (in which VantineDJ has post his troubles).

Is not a problem in VDJ, VDJ use some resources that other programs don't use as VDJ does. If you have something that isn't in his best place you could have troubles in there.

If you still have problems you could return here, I can take another actions to get your system working.

AGP and PCI-E aren't compatible, if you have PCI-E slot you don't have AGP slot in the same motherboard. PCI-E is the current technology since AGP is a technology going to be out of the market in the next months.

Here some posts that could give you more information:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/43501/General_Discussion/abnormally_high_cpu_usage_with_visualizations____.html

Posted Sat 10 Dec 05 @ 4:20 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
the problem here is the 6600 it has ddr 1 ram and a slower core I would replace it with a 6600gt the 6600gt even with less memory will out perform the 6600. I have a pci-e 6600gt and spin vob every weekend no problems.

Posted Sat 10 Dec 05 @ 4:30 pm
vantinedj here and reading. just an fyi. and i again hope i am not jinxing myself. i just received my replacement video card yesterday and so far no screen freezes or blinking screens. i am also noticing that the mhz changes when i have winfox open up and down. didn't do that before. maybe there was a problem with the other card. at least i hope so. i will be listening to see if i still get skips in the music. more tomorrow. i now have time to really get this to work. just for safety sake i put an extra fan in my third slot to keep the card cool. i am running at medium color to cut down on cpu usage also. and just ordered a dac3 expected monday

Posted Sun 11 Dec 05 @ 8:14 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)