Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: reverse

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

You can make some phat sounds with reverse... especially if you can catch it during the vocals. I personally like finding a good spot for the reverse effect, then loop it (usually 4 or 8 beats).

I then bring in another song and have them both playing together for a couple minutes. Then I'll mess around with using "kill" on some of the eq bands, like i'll kill the bass for the side playing the reverse loop, have that side just play for a bar or two, then slam the crossfader back to the middle when the other side hits a strong beat.

I know it's nothin' big, but when I start doin' stuff like that I get much bigger ideas of what I can try and do with virtual dj.

Now I wish I had reverse on my real decks :)

phatty720
dave

Posted Tue 01 Jul 03 @ 7:36 pm
reverse effect is really good!!!
Another thing that I do is killing the bass, combining it with the flanger effect, just befor the explosion in the track and then undo both.
Gives also a great effect.

Posted Tue 01 Jul 03 @ 10:02 pm
I love reverse.

I used to mix with Thomas Bangalter tracks, with have all kind of reverse sounds.

And now I can do it with VDJ!!!

Posted Mon 07 Jul 03 @ 4:22 pm
with most techno beats when you play it i reverse you get a hip hop sounding beat

Posted Wed 06 Aug 03 @ 11:24 pm
The Reverse is hot I use it mostly if im djing @ a party to take out curse words or just 2 play around wit it

Posted Fri 29 Aug 03 @ 1:00 am
yes its good if your at a party with children you can reverse the bad words ;)

Posted Fri 29 Aug 03 @ 1:01 am
Or you can take current titles that have a spot reversed in (Like Miss Elliots songs) and return it back to normal. I do this out of curosity sometimes and sometimes to set the track strait. (i.e. no unknown verbal spots in a track.)

Posted Fri 29 Aug 03 @ 8:33 am
Can some1 teach me on how to do this reverse??

Please.......

Posted Fri 29 Aug 03 @ 10:55 am
It is a plugin for Registered Full Version VDJ Users only. So buy the program and download the plugin! They are frequently updating the program and plugins are often being added, as well as skins. So why not, it is worth the money.

Regards;

Redman247

Posted Fri 29 Aug 03 @ 11:31 am
nscodeHome userMember since 2003
Reverse is abilable in demo and there is no need to download (if we are talking about the same reverse). Go to efects panel. There are 3 efect slots for each deck. Click the browse button and select reverse.dll

Posted Fri 29 Aug 03 @ 1:28 pm
Ahhh.. methinks perhaps I was confused with full reverse...

My apologies for my faux pas. lol!

Regards;

Redman247

(@nscode: What ever happened to that skinning program you were supposed to make?)

Posted Fri 29 Aug 03 @ 2:38 pm

Posted Fri 29 Aug 03 @ 7:04 pm
OjLenoHome userMember since 2003
Hey, thats a great idea... using reverse over curse words.

Now, I don't know if you were serious (phatty) about having two tracks mix for "2 minutes"... maybe this is just when you practice, but I had the idea that people don't like to hear two songs at once for an extended period (say... more than5-10 seconds). This is coming from R&B/Hip hop though. So what is everyone's idea on this?

Posted Mon 08 Dec 03 @ 5:50 pm
nscodeHome userMember since 2003
Yes, for hip-hop I think its best to cut it with some cool scratch or a backspin and not mix at all. But with, let's say, techno you can be wary creative with mixing; sometimes even mixing the whole lenght of two songs, going left and right all the time, but for this you need a third deck when you are going to the third song, so you can forget about auto beatmatching.

Posted Thu 11 Dec 03 @ 10:13 am
i think reverse is a really great effect, i always use it to reverse curse words. but out of curiousity i noticed the reversed songs on the radio..etc..are usually, sh**= ish, and the reverse on vdj it reverse 1 beat before the curse word. so i set the left and right button as -1 beat, and +1 beat, so i press +1beat to advance to the curse word, and quickly press reverse to "forward reverse" it and then quickly press -1beat, it would be great to have a forward reverse plug-in. On the numark cdx they have developed a "bleep" switch which is exactly like forward reverse and i think it is ingenius which is great for live mixing.

Posted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 7:36 pm
Yes, reverse is a very good piece of stuff to VDJ. I don't use it to mask the *** words, because in Trance or Hardcore that I play you can find hardly any vocal :], but using reverse to modify a loop with interesting vocal is a brilliant idea.

Posted Sat 28 Jan 06 @ 5:18 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)