Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: max load vs. none

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i only have 256 RAM and i am planning to up that to 1GB but until the day i do.... sooner or later i was just playing around with the settings last night, if change the max load to none(usually at 10min.) i get skip free TCV use, i was pretty pleased, as with 10min. i get skips here and there. The problem was that with load set to none the sound would skip/stutter for 1/2 a second when loading a new song, at no time after that no matter what i tried it was skip free, just when loading songs, if i changed back to 10min. i have the periodical skips but the loading problem is gone. Basicly i'm just looking for an explaination why VDJ acts like that and is there something else i can try until i get mo' RAM

Posted Wed 28 Sep 05 @ 2:42 pm
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
* geek mode on *

not sure, but maybe it's a memory allocation issue?

if you set it at 10 min., the necessary RAM might be pre-allocated, hence no CPU-intensive swapping at load time (so no skips at load time), only when the computer needs to swap again (because RAM usage exceeds physical RAM)
if you set it at none, it allocates as needed, and swaps at that time: CPU-intensive process that causes the skipping.

You can learn a whole lot from Windows task manager. Make sure the View>Show Kernel Times option is on. then observe RAM/CPU usage as you play with VDJ.

Most important: disable all unnecessary services, reboot your computer, play with VDJ for a few hours, doing what you would usually do. Then in Windows Task Manager, look at the "Peak Commit Charge" value. If it exceeds your "Total Physical Memory" value, that means you sawpped (hence got performance/skipping issues). I'm sure with normal VDJ audio-only use your "Peak Commit Charge" will be between 300M and 500M, and with your 256M you're of course too low => get yourself 512Mb total and yo'll be fine (no need for 1GB maybe).

*** geek mode off ***

Posted Wed 28 Sep 05 @ 3:20 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
To ask a program to operate with less than is recommended is asking for trouble.
512 minimum, and that's not enough on some systems.
Most members here are finding 1g as the threshold for pain.

Posted Wed 28 Sep 05 @ 3:52 pm
i should have added that with load set to none my RAM is under 240(with both decks playing) so it comes close to 256 but never goes over physical RAM, so thats why i thought it might work for the time being. Yes i know what i have to do to settle the problem but i decided to upgrade some gear before pc, so in the meantime i'm just fooling around as i am a tweak-masta-flex, without TCV using external mixer only i have a perfect skip free play back so i can still play and record some good stuff, but i can't keep my hands off the vinyl ;)
@mp3jrick where was that crazy gig you just had?

Posted Wed 28 Sep 05 @ 4:06 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
It was in E. Cannan Ct.
Far northwest corner of the state.

Posted Wed 28 Sep 05 @ 6:27 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
From the products page:

"The minimum requirement to run Virtual DJ is:
PIII 850 MhZ computer
800x600 SVGA video
DirectX compatible soundcard
128 MB RAM
20 MB free on the hard-drive

The recommended configuration is:
PIV 1.2 GhZ computer
1024x768 SVGA video
4.1 DirectX compatible soundcard (with front and rear separate outputs)
512 MB RAM
20 MB free on the hard-drive"

I think it's about time we see these figures change, we have to be realistic.

Posted Wed 28 Sep 05 @ 6:55 pm
just for kicks look at the Ejay mix station req.
Minimum System Requirements
PIII 850 MhZ computer
800x600 SVGA video
DirectX compatible soundcard
384 MB RAM
200 MB free on the hard drive
Recommended:
PIV 1.2 GhZ computer
1024x768 SVGA video
4.1 DirectX compatible soundcard (with front and rear separate outputs)
1024 MB RAM
200 MB free on the hard drive

I was only asking about the max load function, but i think the recommended should be more like the minimum, but it really depends on the system a lot, for me VDJ runs very well if i cut the TCV out which is ok for now.

Posted Wed 28 Sep 05 @ 8:14 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
However it is relevant, and max load is best set to ALWAYS if you have the RAM.

Posted Wed 28 Sep 05 @ 8:19 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)