Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Is there a "log" feature in Virtual DJ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

harrygHome userMember since 2005
Hi,
I've dowwnloaded the trail copy of VDJ and I have to say, I like it ALOT. I'm ust curious. Is there a LOG feature like PCDJ RED?

In other words, can the program keep track of all the songs I played and at what time I played them for future reference?

Thank you

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 5:47 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Yes, there is a log, it's the history.txt file in the VirtualDJ folder in your Program Files folder.
Also, VDJ will build a playlist of each VDJ session. Note the playlist only gets written when you shutdown the VDJ instance. The playlist is named by the date of use and if you use it multiple times in one day then the new playlist will have a numerical sequence after it.

cstoll

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 5:57 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Much better than PCDJ's log feature if you ask me.

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 6:07 pm
I gotta tell you... I've been a diehard PCDJ user. But, I saw a demo of VDJ this weekend. I was blown away. Simply awesome. I'm TRYING to find a reason NOT to switch to VDJ, but it's feature list is very full.

Tell me this. Be honest. The ONLY thing that would stop me from switching to VDJ is the stability. I can literally run PCDJ 5.2 on a 400mhz PII 256MB Toshiba Laptop. So, my question is this.

Is VDJ stable? Can it run on a backup laptop as "skimpy" as the one noted above? I know a more robust machine would be better.

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 6:08 pm
@harryg :

I had problems with stability at first but it turned out to be my hardware overheating. A New server case solved the problem.
If you look in these forums you will find people questioning stability, but more often than its a setup/hardware issue. Remember VDJ is doing a lot more than PCDJ, with video effects and playing mpegs. Don't forget your relying on video cards & drivers too.

My setup is now very stable and I take it out with no backup CD players now!.

Why not download the free 30 day trial and judge for yourself.

I will say though - a 400mhz PII with only 256mb is gonna struggle - and forget playing Videos.

for VDJ you want minimum 512mb (1 gig preferred) - and I would suggest a minimum of 1200mhz processor. Use the PC for DJing only.. remove internet and networking...disable unused services (be careful though some are required)

Welcome to VDJ..You will love it .

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 6:29 pm
Nick,
Thank you for your fast reply. I know these "newbie" questions can be a pain. So, I really did appreciate your honest and patience.

I haven't been this "tweaked" about a software since.... well since the purchase of my current software.

I've downloaded the trial. I'm running on a desktop as we speak. I like the assignable shortcuts, the numerous skins, etc.. SWEET...

I agree. That ole' 400 mhz has served me well as a backup. If you saw how I threw the thing around, you'd laugh. (I guess I'm looking for an excuse to get rid of it).

My main music playback is a 1.1Ghz, 512mb, 60gb internal, running either internal sound, or external Gigaport into a Rane Mixer, with completely powered speaker system. Small, compact, with great functionality. It would be nice to utilize one of the MANY controllers supported by VDJ.

I'm rambling.... Sorry :D)

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 6:41 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Now there is someone I didn't ever expect to see here...welcome harryg....

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 7:56 pm
I'm as suprised as you. You know me. A diehard "other" user. But, this VDJ is REALLY sweet. I'm on the fence ready to cross.

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 8:25 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Well, Harry you're welcome anytime you want to cross...

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 8:31 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Harry G....The yellow laptop HarryG?

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 11:05 pm
ha, ha. The one and only. Still running strong. I'm eyeing the WHITE Avaratec laptops. Very sharp looking. I'm considering two exact ones. It'll make an easier learning curve when using one or the other for backup setups or ceremonies, or multiple rooms.

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 11:15 pm
Welcome Harry

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 11:23 pm
TileTomPRO InfinityMember since 2017
Hey HarryG, welcome! You'll see many of the "others" over here too. Don't feel alone!

Posted Tue 27 Sep 05 @ 2:48 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
And about your questions, dont worry about stability, because virtualdj is really stable.
But your laptop is just weak.
Btw. i was pcdj (red) user too.

Posted Tue 27 Sep 05 @ 3:09 am
Going to the summit Harry, or has the boycott done it's damage?

It's going to be quite a collection of brainiacs of the pc dj world.
Can't wait, one more week.

Posted Tue 27 Sep 05 @ 3:17 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Harry, Here's a little test of stability you can try on both VDJ and PCDJ:

Load up and start playing a track from an external (USB or firewire) drive. Now power off or disconnect the drive.
PCDJ will loop the last few seconds over and over and eventually freeze up, while VDJ will play just fine until the end of the song. In fact, if you plug the drive back in before you try to load up another song, then VDJ will never even know the drive was missing.

That was just one of the many things that convinced me to convert about a year ago.
Playing during a storm and the power kept going out for about 5 seconds at a time; Of course my sound would go away, but because I use a laptop, once the power came back on, the song would keep playing. The crowd was very impressed, and it was almost like a game...when the power went out, the crowd would sing the lyrics or clap and then when it came back on, we'd still be in sync. I couldn't imagine that ever happening with PCDJ, unless they changed the way they cache the music.

Posted Tue 27 Sep 05 @ 5:40 pm
hey Harry..

I've been away from PCDJ for a while now and eventhough I do not currently use the copy of VDJ I bought I do feel it is more stable then PCDJ VRM is. However 'old' red is such a basic program (in all honesty) there is much less that could go wrong.. I would in any case rate it over any PCDJ product at this time..

Posted Tue 27 Sep 05 @ 7:00 pm
Wow. There are alot of fellow visio fanatics over here. I've been playing alot with VDJ the past day.

I also put AtomixMP3 on one of my weaker laptop just to play. Even that program is cool. It's running on a 300mhz Toshiba an I'm running a wireless internet connection AND writing this post at the same time. Very cool.

Posted Tue 27 Sep 05 @ 8:05 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)