Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: FLANGING distortion occurs on high frequencies during pitch flanging!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

[OOPS! I MEANT "DURING PITCH SHIFTING"... not FLANGING. Sorry, typo!]

Hi VDJ support team,

I've been a loyal supporter and user of Virtual DJ, even before its creation, since the time of AtomixMP3 (I own both). I've come across a terrible problem with flanging during pitch shifting of minimal amounts on tracks that have prominent high frequencies. I've been DJing for over 7 years and I know what I'm talking about, I don't get this problem with my CDJ's, even when I burn the same track to CDR to spin on my CDJ's. Look into it, tell me what you think. I have included a link to a sample I recorded just so you know exactly what I mean. I recorded a 40sec clip to let you hear the problem. I let the track play for the first 32 beats to let you hear what it's like normally, then when I start to adjust the pitch a value of +1 at around 15secs into the song, you can tell the massive flanging problems. I let the track run on for another 32beats as I play with the pitch, illustrating the problems as I tweak the pitch by values of +/-1. I reset the pitch to the original BPM at around the 28sec mark and immediately, the flanging is gone. You can clearly tell its fine after that, when the pitch is at its original state.

Here is the link to the sample:

http://home.pacific.net.sg/~aaronjiang/sample.mp3

Do get back to me on this. Thanks!

Best Regards,
AJ

p.s. BTW, your software still rocks...

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 3:10 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Do you have timesretch OFF?, Limiter OFF?, gain at or below -3.5?.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 3:50 pm
Can´t tell about his settings, but it´s not connected to any of the above settings. I have all this setup like you said, from the moment I started using VDJ, and I do have the problem as well.

It´s the known Bug that is reported by lopez453 in here: http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/13072/Bugs_report/Loss_of_HIGHs_after_changing_pitch.html

as well as me in here: http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/14286/Bugs_report/Changing_pitch_makes_highs_modulated.html

The sample of "Shivvers" is a VERY GOOD example for this problem. Hopefully this will finally make Atomix work on it. In the first of the above mentioned threads I have been asking for a status on this problem for weeks now, without any feedback. Currently I´m very disappointed that they rather work on things like Video mixing instead of getting the basics right. I think lopez453 even made a sample with a Sine Wave showing that the problem is there, but I never listened to that. But I think the sample by ArrakisX is proving very good that the problem is nothing anybody imagines. Just pick a track with prominent highs, and hit pitch+ just once (putting it to 100.1%), and you will here the shown effect on your own files as well.

PLEASE ATOMIX! FIX THIS!

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 7:08 pm
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Yes ArrakisX, very good example. It's a long known problem, but not yet fixe ;) It's good that people bring it back to attention thought.

Regards.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 8:36 pm
Yes It's a known bug, as are a few others like the gain bug and the loop bug (which triggers a crash), The timestretch isn't a bug, but rather a bad feature (which is being worked on).

I wasn't sure exactly what this guy was reffering too, but I should of, because he's talking about pitch adjustment, This has been brought to the attention of the Dev team and I've also heard it's being worked on, but I've no idea what order things are being done in, and they can't please everyone with each update, so maybe it will be fixed in 3.2, but may well take longer.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 9:29 pm
Well, on the one hand you are right, Bagpuss. But then again: This problem is known for months, and it concerns the most important feature of VDJ - the soundquality. So I´d expected it, to be already fixed in 3.1. Since it was not fixed then, I expect it to be in 3.2.

To say it harsh: Who cares about Videomixing-Crap, if the sound is fucked up?

As I said, harsh, but I guess you get my point.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 10:38 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
it needs to be said,

sound first, video later

Posted Wed 21 Sep 05 @ 3:15 am
it depends on the marketing strategy

if atomix want to be pro (that is not so big target market)
or wants to satisfy ordinary "wannabe/bedroom" dj's and can sell thousands of licenses.

I personally think they are trying to make balance between theese two, because development nedds money. And it takes some time. Anyway i believe that such improvements in video from 2.6 to
3.1 will be done in audio section soon ;-).

Peace to all

Posted Wed 21 Sep 05 @ 11:21 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I also believe that video and sound development are two different programer teams, so by releasing a new video patch does not necessarily mean that sound fixes are being postponed. It just means that video development was done faster, and releasing it ASAP is a good marketing strategy.

Personally I don't need a video feature, but I still believe that the team won't let us (and themselves in that matter) down :)

Posted Wed 21 Sep 05 @ 1:46 pm
Dev Team is aware of the issue... and BELIEVE ME, dev team works on all sides of VDJ - and not just video :)

Video was added last time, future will show improvements for all sides of VDJ...

dont worry :)

Posted Wed 21 Sep 05 @ 2:50 pm
Well, this problem has been around really long, and its the only thing stopping me from carrying my lappy to clubs. You Atomix guys think it'll be resolved soon? Give us an ETA.

Thanks for supporting my case, fellow users. Sorry I didn't know about the old thread, but anyway, let's just keep bumping this till it gets done. I really hope VDJ team will put more R&D into this issue. Make it a priority, I don't see how VDJ can be advertised as used in clubs by world class DJ's like Carl Cox, when simple pitch shifting isn't perfected! Its not a minor one IMO, and I share the sentiments of many of your other professional users. Fix it guys... please fix it! I really don't wanna go searcing for alternatives... I like this software, and I've been with u guys for almost 7 years! C'mon now... Hope it'll be resolved ASAP... God speed!

Best Regards,
AJ aka ArrakisX

Posted Fri 23 Sep 05 @ 2:55 am
"Fix it guys... please fix it! I really don't wanna go searcing for alternatives..."

Quoted for emphasis...

Posted Tue 27 Sep 05 @ 8:36 pm
LudekPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I agree with ArrakisX
Now i must play almost whole party with master tempo turn off due to bad sound. Please fix it soon...

Posted Wed 28 Sep 05 @ 12:13 am
The Problem is not even related to Master Sound. Master Sound quality always had an overall bad quality. But this also occurs with classic pitchshift.

Posted Wed 28 Sep 05 @ 5:37 pm
We are aware of the distinction. It is said that BOTH are being delt with, theirs not point in telling the Dev team what they already know over and over, now we just need to be patient until we get some updates.

Posted Wed 28 Sep 05 @ 6:00 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)