Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VirtudalDJ - Hercules Vs. XP10's

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djziniPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I'm going to begin using VDJ... primarily for video up front but also some audio. I also would like to purchase some hardware to go with it. I am a mobile DJ and I've been digital for going on 7 years so I am all about being compact and quick setup and takedown times.

My main question is... what's the advantages/disadvantages of using the Hercules DJ console over the XP10's, and vice versa. Would I have the ability to scratch video with both of them? The Hercules is obviously much cheaper... so in what ways am I limited? The XP10's look like awesome units... but I'm not sure if I want to spend that much on them right now when it seems as if the Hercules can do almost the same things.

Any help/suggestions would be great appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Posted Mon 19 Sep 05 @ 10:48 pm
One more thing I forgot... you can use the hercules console with VDJ 3.1, correct? I was planning on disregarding the limited version that comes with the hercules (if I do buy it) and just purchasing 3.1.

Posted Mon 19 Sep 05 @ 10:55 pm
Hi djzini,

Yes, the DJ Console does work with VDJ release 3.1, and both the XP10 and DJ Console can be used to mix and scratch videos. The XP10 has it's limits since it doesn't have a crossfader, which may be usefull when mixing videos. But it does have some really great features. The DJ Console has pros and cons, too.

I don't use any kind of remote controller for now. Some more experienced users could help you decide on your controller of choice. Also, try searching the forum, there are dozens of discussions about both devices.

For example, check out the following thread for a complete review of the two machines, so you can make an informed decision:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/8140/General_Discussion/XP10_vs_DAC-2_vs_Hercules_DJ_Console_Review.html

Internodal.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 7:29 am

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 7:55 am
I have both the console and 2 xp-10's
The hercules, is cool, but i eventually got tired of the inability to scratch decently on it, the iffy button response, and the crampedness of the crossfader (also for scratching). I went out and bought 2xp-10s and a mixer, and love them. One day when im not lazy ill make a recording of my current techniques. I can scratch and mix SO much better with them.

One other thing for you to consider is your type of music that you mix. I mix hip-hop, so i need lots of accuracy and scratch ability.

If you mix mostly dance/techno/house, where you do long beatmatching sections, the hercules will be more than enough.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 2:54 pm
Great - thanks guys! That behringer unit looks pretty cool... does anybody know when that bad boy is expected to release?

Also, I've been thinking about just buying two tabletop scratch CD players, and running VDJ through them so that I can scratch the video and such. Or, maybe even a rackmount unit. Any recommendations?

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 11:52 pm
The Behringer B-Control DJ may not be available until december 2005, as the release date has been post-poned twice already. It looks very promising, though, for people who want a COMPLETE solution at a very affordable price (I honestly think it will do better than the DJ Console).

If you're looking for scratch CD players, then of course you could go for the high-end stuff like the Pioneer CDJ1000 or the Technics DZ1200, but they are really expensive (1000$+ per deck).

For a more reasonable price, you can get some good CD players that have scratch wheels similar to the XP10's, such as the Numark Axis-9, which got great reviews:

http://www.numark.com/index.html?http://www.numark.com/products/product_view.php?v=overview&n=38

American Audio also has a very nice rack-mount unit that features a dual-deck configuration, again with touch-sensitive scratch wheels like the XP10:

http://www.adjaudio.com/product.asp?ProductIDNumber=1207&cat=CD_Players

And that's just the beginning. If you browse through music store websites, you'll find hundreds more machines that can suit your needs. Do a search in Yahoo! and you'll see what I mean :O)

Hope this helps!

Internodal.

Posted Wed 21 Sep 05 @ 6:58 am
sh3pHome userMember since 2005
how does the Numark DMX01USB compare to those hardware options?

Posted Thu 22 Sep 05 @ 3:24 am
I do believe the Numark DMX01USB is a mixer with built-in sound cards, not a software remote controller. Therefore, we can't really compare it to the other devices described above, which control (scratch, play/cue, scan, etc) the songs playing on your computer.

But the DMX01USB is a very nice, complete mixer indeed. :O)

Internodal.

Posted Fri 23 Sep 05 @ 7:59 am
@Internodal: Now you can be sure, it's the way you believe it is. :-)

I have one. And made some parties only with my lappy and mixer. But it was a lot of mousework,
hercules is quite good for basic control for it's price (not sure about status of the sticky buttons of last standard series).

I think many of us will recommend you to wait for other manufacturers to see what
will they release. (ok, not a good word from someone who couldn't wait and ordered dac 2 ...)

Posted Fri 23 Sep 05 @ 9:25 am
i can see how using the Numark DXM01USB would mean a lot of mouse work still.

I have felt so far that Hercules seems a bit toyish, wheras the Numark is more 'authentic' like a turntable mixer. I dont find i use the wheel at all, so cue points, fx and looping may be the only thing i would need the mouse and that is simple 1 click process. At the moment i think i could handle doing that with the mouse and save my money. I like the thought of a large quality crossfader also.

Lopez - your opinion here would be really helpful as you have used one and your advice could help me avoid making a costly mistake. From what you wrote above it seems you feel that there is not a device out that satisfies you? Have you looked into the DAC-3?

thanks

Posted Fri 23 Sep 05 @ 10:25 am
console is good but my buttons were sticky,
when i was gigging without hercules i find myself trying to put my hand on nonexisting jogwheel that i previously used for cueing tracks.

Numark is good for me because i can connect real microphone that will not be muted while i reboot my pc and will work with other non pc devices too without computer.

RIght now i§m looking only for some device that provides me with controls of songs.

DAC-3 i think is a nice toy, but for that price i will be satisfied with dac-2 and buy 2 tabletop players too.

I had one old cd-player that has similar controls like DAC-2. I wanted to rewire it to the keyboard or joystick but due to lack of time i decided to go for PRO version and buy original.

Keyboard shortcuts (whether on original keyoboard or rewired to buttons on ony controller/joystick) are not a good solution, since it collides with for example searching function)

once i stopped song accidentally because i did not notice i lost "search" focus so by pressing S ...
i had a nice "booos" on the dancefloor, fortunately i restarted in 2 seconds the song from beginning.

Personally i like hercules, played with it lot of parties, but time has passed to something more pro.
Cannot wait to see new MK2 maybe i'll stick back to hercules.

I'm very satisfied now with numark mixer, only "mousework" is of cue, loop, playlist.

Posted Fri 23 Sep 05 @ 2:33 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

Posted Fri 23 Sep 05 @ 3:30 pm
lopez, so you have the Numark DMX01USB and you are happy with it? Can that model be used for turntables if i decide to move onto them in the future?

I've been using VDJ by itsely but as i'm sure everyone has experienced its damn hard and i want hardware. I have been lookin at the Numark and just have that. Being a newcomer, i was gona start with something simple ( ie just a mixer) but the more i look into it the more i thnk i want to use turntables. I think its a big step though not only in terms of upfront cost but buying vinyl could really become an addiction, even for a hobbyist. For those that use vinyl, what costs are there besides vinyl, such as cartridges and how often must they be replaced?

Sorry if i'm going off the intitial topic in this forum. Thanks

Posted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 5:16 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)