Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Rookie/Newbie mixing questions

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi, I'm new here, just downloaded the trial version of DJMixstation 3...very impressive.

I'm an OLD radio DJ, a DJ from the 1970's rock era rather than modern Dance music. My "mixing" experience was simply cross-fading intro/outro, rather than modern mixing where one has to get the beats correct.

My aim is to learn how to mix dance music (trance , house, techno). I see there is a lot to read here in this forum, I will will read through them all over the next few days but thought I would ask one question to get me started.

I see in the help file/PDF document that comes with the trial version, that one needs to "match the beats" . and the instructions illustrate how to get things "in phase" and "rhythms overlap"

DJMixstation makes this easy to do, but once done it does not sound "right" to me. I took two of the songs that came with the trial version, made two remixes of certain sections that appeared to compliment eachother , synchronized the beats, and then played them together using the cross fader.. They sounded "off". However, everything sounded perfectly good (for a first attempt) when instead of overlapping the rhythms I matched them so that they were exactly the same. Cross-fading and setting it so I could hear both turntable 1 and turn table two equally, produced a really nice blend.

So, this rookie is confused. When would overlapping, as opposed to matching, be the thing to do ?

Andy.

Posted Sun 18 Sep 05 @ 7:22 pm
hemanHome userMember since 2005

Posted Sun 02 Oct 05 @ 6:15 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)