Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Sound Quality + AutoGain + Limiter

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

kokaiPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hi All,

My sound guy told me the sound quality is not good.

I have disabled time strech.

AutoGain is Always match and limiter is on.

I want AutoGain what will happen if I will leave the AutoGain at always match and disable the Limiter.

Will the sound quality improve?

Will the volumes still always match?

10x

Posted Sun 18 Sep 05 @ 6:57 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
disable the time steatch, then you can put the auto gain to always match set the first track to about -4 and you should be fine.

Posted Sun 18 Sep 05 @ 7:32 pm
timestrech is disabled , what about the limiter?

f I will n ot set manually the Gain of the firstsog what will happen?

Posted Sun 18 Sep 05 @ 7:44 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
disable the limiter too. If you don't manually set the gain vdj will compute this value for you then match all other tracks to that value.

Posted Sun 18 Sep 05 @ 7:46 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
And how do you find the sound now?

Posted Sun 18 Sep 05 @ 7:54 pm
10x for all the replies

I think it is better but I will have to check it tommorow at the bar.

so whats the difference between always match and always 0DB , which one is better in terms of sound quality? and if I turn the limiter off wouldnt it be better to set it to Always 0Db so it will not go above even if I dont set the Gain of the first song?

if the songs are always 0DB what are the disadvantaes, I can always set it higher or lower from the mixer and i get all the songs to match the same volume level.

Posted Sun 18 Sep 05 @ 8:57 pm
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
kokai, just in case it's still not good,

1) what system are you using? is it a notebook and if so are you using the internal soundcard?

2) what is your sound guy telling you? why is it bad? is there too much distortion, too much noise, levels too low?

3) if you play the same mp3 file with winamp, does your sound guy still think it's bad?

let us know...

Posted Sun 18 Sep 05 @ 9:56 pm
Always match is the best in terms of quality, providing you set the gain level at or below -3.5, when set to 0 the sound quality isn't optimal.

Limiter should always be OFF.

What Bite rate are your files encoded at?, and which encoder do you use?.

Posted Sun 18 Sep 05 @ 10:15 pm
1) I am using a desktop 2.4 Ghz 1G ram. I also use a terratec phase 22 PCI sound card, which is a very good one (24Bit/192Khz,110DB SNR).

2) the sound guy tells me it is distorted and a little noisy.

3) some of my files are 128 bit ( I know its low) it is encoded with Media Player , Do you suggets a better Encoder? I know there is another guy that plays there with BPM Studio and they say it sounds better, He also uses 128 Bitrate files.

4) What decoder should I use In the VDJ settings for mp3 files?, Is the Internal Decoder the best? I also noticed that some of my files are not analysed and played well while they do with Media Player.

5) Can I set the Gain of the decks to start and always be at -4 automatically and then set to always match so I dont have to do do it every time I Start VDJ?(just In case I forget......)

10x

Posted Mon 19 Sep 05 @ 2:13 am
1) Your hardware is good.

2) The noise could either be coming from having too higher gain levels, set to -4 (always match - you will NOT have to adjust another gain after your first!), do you use an external mixer?, if you don't use an external mixer: Set the crossfader curve to SMOOTH and NOT FULL.

3) 128kbps is too low, and media player is NOT a good encoder (wma files?), You should encode at 192kbps and above!, use the LAME encoder (known as the best).

See my blog for a guide on mp3 (click my name)

This is a freeware program, It's one of the best their is:
http://www.download.com/CDex/3000-2140_4-10226370.html?tag=lst-0-1

Be sure to go into settings and specify the correct values and encoder before going any further.

4) The internal decoder is fine, this shouldn't be a problem.

5) Yes (see point 2)

I hope this helps!.

Posted Mon 19 Sep 05 @ 2:32 pm
10x,

What i meant at number 5 is if it is possible to set virtual dj to always Start at -4DB with out setting the first song, it would be best if I could choose somthing like - always -4Db (like always 0DB).

maybe somehow through the skin or a plug in, I can write one.

Posted Mon 19 Sep 05 @ 4:23 pm
Make a keyboard shortcut for setting the gain to -4.5 or somethin.. so when VDJ starts up, just hit that key...not too bad...

Posted Mon 19 Sep 05 @ 5:02 pm
Why -4.0db as opposed to 0 or 1??? is it too loud at 0?

vin

Posted Sun 02 Oct 05 @ 7:46 pm
It's not the volume that's the problem, It's the risk of distortion, If you keep the volume in the software moderate, being the source, you are in a good position to alter gain and levels at the mixer.

It's best to keep everything moderate to get that balance, i.e lowish gains, 7-8 on both of the mixers channels, 50-60% at amp, just makes for better balance and less risk of distortion.

Posted Sun 02 Oct 05 @ 11:12 pm
Ok, I am starting to understand now... I have been making the slow transition for cd's to virtual DJ and recently played almost my entire night on VDJ !!! I love it.... But I was having problems with the the volume being too low and couldn't figure it out....got it now....

So it is probably too risky to set the gain to "Always 0db" because I will risk the chance of distortion right?

Safe bet is to go with "Always Match" and then set my first song to -3 or 4 knowing that all other songs will come out at the same level correct?

Vin....

Posted Mon 03 Oct 05 @ 4:01 am
That would be correct Vinny, yes.

Posted Mon 03 Oct 05 @ 12:00 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)