Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Will this video card work?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

My cousin had a GeForce FX5200 256mb card.

Now I know everyone says to get a gg00 or a 6800gt card, but if this card will work, i would use it for now.

What are your opinions??

Thanks!

Posted Wed 07 Sep 05 @ 1:14 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

Posted Wed 07 Sep 05 @ 2:02 am
Thanks for the info. I read the first link before, but that's the first time for the 2nd link you gave me.
I did purchase the full version yesterday, and I just registered it in my profile.

The card I have is the 256mb model, so it may run better then the 128mb that the 2nd link refers.

What I think i am going to do is, when i am in the process of upgrading my computer, I will install the fx5200 in it and install the latest nvidia drivers and see what happens. If it works, i'll continue to use it for a while, and if i can't, well then I'll just get a new one.

I figured being 256mb, I should have a good chance of it working.

Posted Wed 07 Sep 05 @ 2:58 am

Posted Wed 07 Sep 05 @ 3:07 am
Unfortuenly, I already purchased and received the upgrades that I will be doing to the computer.

I already have a Intel D865gbf mobo. I am upgrading the processor from a celeron 2.0 to a P4 3.0
I am upgrading the 2x256mb memory to 2x1gb DDR2 400 mhz memory chips
I am going from a cheap dual outs video card to hopefully the FX5200 for now.
I have a SATA 120g HD for Audio.
SATA 80g HD for Karaoke
and now a Ext. USB 2.0 maxtor 300g HD for videos.

With the exception of the video card, I don't forsee any problems with doing video at this point, unless you see something or know something that I don't. Everything is already bought and received, so I am stuck with what i got unless I decide to upgrade the mobo.

Posted Wed 07 Sep 05 @ 7:07 am
All companies have return policies.. I'm sure you and your dealer can work out a solution.
As mentioned before, PCI-E motherboard with PCI-E graphics card is a more effective solution for video mixing.
A nVIDIA 6600GT graphics card has been recommended in other threads, and the ATI X800 (I think).

Posted Wed 07 Sep 05 @ 1:05 pm
I think you mean DDR 400 RAM chips, because Intel 865GBF doesn't work with DDR2 (this is available in some 915 all 925 and above from Intel Motherboard Chipset) be aware of this. The chip processor must be a 478 pins chip, and not LGA 775. Don't forget to put your memory modules in dual channel, this is to put one in the first memory slot and his pair in the third memory slot. Don't mix the old memory, it isn't in dual channel for sure and maybe is only one module DDR 333 or 266.

The real problem is this, you memory modules and you processor cost the same (or nearly the same) as DDR2 533 memory modules and Intel P4 530 (3GHz, LGA 775).

The motherboard maybe is around $149 but it's a new Intel 945 cheapset.

If you upgrade later, neither your motherboard, or processor or memory will work in the new Pc.

Posted Wed 07 Sep 05 @ 8:06 pm
If you buy now a motherboard, you spend less money. Is a way to safe $$$.

If you upgrade later, neither your motherboard, or processor or memory will work in the new Pc. You have to spend more money to have an upgrade. Think about it, maybe you could change your current products and buy another motherboard…

this is an example Intel 945G:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121292

Wich includes a internal video card (not bad at all).

Think about it. I only want to help.

Posted Wed 07 Sep 05 @ 8:22 pm
My apologies, my memory is DDR 400, not DDR2.
My processor is the 478pin.

Yes, I will be running the memory modules in Dual channel mode.

The upgrades you are talking about, I would need to replace the DDR memory modules for the DDR2s, get a different type of processor and a new mobo to go with it. So in the end, I would still need to spend an addt'l $150 or so for the mobo, along with returning the items that I just got and replace them with the newer technology. that's if I understand you correctly.

Although it would be nice to get the next generation of technology, I don't forsee me upgrading anytime soon after this, so I will probably stick with what I have now and then deal with the newer technology later down the road.

I probably wouldn't even be upgrading if it wasn't for doing music videos. As long as what I have is working, i'll just stick to what I have.

BUT, in saying that, I do appreciate all the suggestions that you have given me.

Posted Thu 08 Sep 05 @ 8:24 am
Actually, while I am thinking about it. I will stick with what I have now with the upgrades because I still need to have a backup system for music videos also, so I believe I will use what I have now, work on a completely new system with all new tech stuff, and once the new computer is built, that will be my primary comp and my current one will be my back up.

Always good to have a backup. Currently a laptop, but i doubt a laptop will do videos.

Posted Thu 08 Sep 05 @ 1:39 pm
The main problems with a laptop are: you couldn't change the graphics video card, and the HD are slower (4200 or 5400 rpms) than a desktop (5400, 7200 or 10,000 rpms).

They cost double of similar desktop PC.

If you want mobility, then you have to look for a laptop (notebook). They are some with excelent specs. Check:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/40031/Hardware_Technical_Support/_video__laptop.html

But, as you describe, I will stay also.

Posted Thu 08 Sep 05 @ 3:06 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)