Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Powered vs Passive + Amp

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJ ELPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I'd like to read everyone's (who responds, of course) thoughts on using amp + speakers versus powered speakers. Powered speakers seem to be convenient, although I would hate to lose one function if the other goes bad. I'm leaning towards a good ole separate amplifier and PA speakers + powered-subwoofer setup. That would allow me to easily use an equalizer, sound processor, etc. Also, upon reading information regarding matching amplifiers to speakers, I found out that it's best to get an amp rated twice the power rating of a speaker. So, for the 275w program-rated amp that i am looking at, I would need speakers rated at ~550w. I haven't come across any PA speakers with such a rating and if I did, the cost might be prohibitive. Your thoughts, please.

Posted Thu 01 Sep 05 @ 12:55 am
Dang. I meant to write "Powered Speakers vs Passive Speakers + Amp." My bad.

Posted Thu 01 Sep 05 @ 3:16 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
I use both. And use another solution to have control on both configurations.

I use an active crossover. So I get my powered speakers (Behringer) to get all sounds above 100Hz (or more) and my subwoofers are passive (B52). If I need a triamplificated scenario, I do it the same with my active crossover and 3 amps or 2 amps and the Behringer.

The fact is the Behringer could help me to get less equipment into a party. I need a computer (with VDJ), mixer, cd-players and that’s it. I could choice if I get the compressor, the equalizer and the crossover or the subwoofers. It depends on the event and how much the client wants to pay. (The light effects are another choice)

The real thing you have to notice in a speaker is the RMS handling. If your power amp is 250 Watts x channel RMS and 400 Watts peak power (8 Ohms). You most get a 300 Watts RMS passive speaker with 450 or more Watts in peak power (8 Ohms). But you must see the Impedance too. The amps come with this specs in 2-4-8-16 Ohms and their performance with each one.

You could use the 250Watts RMS (8 Omhs) Amp with 2 250 Watts RMS (4 Ohms) speakers connected in serial mode (giving you a 500 Watts RMS 8 Ohms speakers). (The current is what blows your speakers, Is better to get 2 160Watts RMS in 8 Ohms speakers in this setup)

Posted Thu 01 Sep 05 @ 3:50 am
Those are good ideas, acw. I guess the frequency under 100Hz would be fed to an amp, probably bridged to mono, and then to the subwoofer. I would just hate to have one of the amps in one of the speakers blow and then you lose the entire speaker. How reliable are powered speakers?

As far as the amp/speaker-matching, I totally understand the whole Ohm's law calculations, it's hard to forget all those formulas after using them 5 days a week for a whole year, but I'm having trouble picturing how to wire two speakers in series using two channels. If the amp is bridged, then the output shoots up. Please explain. Also, If you, acw, or anyone else knows of any sites that have all or many of the possible wiring speaker/amp scenarios/setup in diagram form, please let me know.

One more thing, what is a "compressor?" Thank you for your reply.

Posted Thu 01 Sep 05 @ 5:43 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
a compressor amplifies quiter sounds while leaving the loud sounds at their original level. It basicly makes music sound louder without having to actualy turn up the volume. They are sometimes used in conjunction with limmiters to prevent clipping / peaking and blowing the horn drivers on expensive tops.

A compressor compresses the dynamic range making all sounds the same volume (if @ 100%)
a limiter limits the maximum volume of the sound
a filter filters some frequencies and transforms of wave to make a cleaner sound

Posted Fri 02 Sep 05 @ 2:07 am

Posted Fri 02 Sep 05 @ 6:41 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
ACW,

How do you like the Behringer B300 speakers? I missed out on a great deal on them from musiciansfriend.com a couple months ago ($199 each!) only because I couldn't bring myself to purchase a set of speakers without being able to listen to them first.

Posted Fri 02 Sep 05 @ 9:11 pm
If I could I buy another 2 (I pay for them $650 each. a couple of years ago). It sounds better (much better) than a similar JBL speaker system.

Posted Sat 03 Sep 05 @ 12:37 am
Thanks for the explanation, XEO. Does anyone else know of good technical resources, internet OR book form, on the intricacies of audio equipment, especially as it relates to putting on together? I feel like there is a lot to learn out there.

Posted Tue 06 Sep 05 @ 6:22 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)