Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Hardware Acceleration - Experts need your help?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
OK, been hunting through the forum, reading all the posts. Know what I need to check before I post this as a MAJOR problem, but thought I would at least give some think food to everyone.

Nvidia 6200 TurboCache video card

OK, 3.0 - Everything worked beautiful with hardware acceleration checked. Videos loaded in respectful timeframe ( few seconds), and CPU ulization while playing a video was respectful as well between 25% - 40% depending on the video. Text features, ambient effects, all worked GREAT!

Then 3.1 - Can't use hardware acceleration for video - blank window, tracks load quick just no video if hardware acceleration is selected. If deselected, then tracks load slooowww (expected) but video plays - with CPU utilization at 90%+ (which is expected since hardware acceleration is not active); however, it is very painful to use. Ambient effects work when audio is playing, so does the bitmap stuff, but the Text features only work if you check the Hardware Acceleration box.

So, I will let everyone chew on that while I update the video drivers and validate the DirectX hasn't gotten fouled up.

Any thoughts and useful suggestions will be appreciated.

cstoll

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 6:09 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
cstoll,

For me was the opposite. I couldn't use the hardware acceleration in my ATI X600 in 3.0. With 3.1 I could. In the other side, Videos loads in respectful timeframe (few seconds) without hardware accelerated checked. Now it's faster and looks good. Something change in VDJ 3.1 for good, but it seems that looses some other things in the process.

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 3:43 pm
yeah, I know alot changed with the embedding of some of the codecs into the software. My vids are 3ivX and so I need to use the WMP to decode my videos. I have been fighting this for a week and after testing the problem on a friend machine with an ATI video chip I have become confused and torqued at this problem. When his laptop performs better then the desktop then that is a big problem! I will get this fixed. There are new drivers for the video card so I need to load those and see if things come back to normal.

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 11:37 pm
OK, here we go... more troubleshooting and more info...
1. Updated the Nvidia Drivers to 77.77 -- still no change in the situation, but I do have more info...

A. VDJ set to use the Video Card with Hardware Acceleration checked -- NO video on only those vids that are set to use the Windows Media Player for decoding (avi and wmv). If I run a VOB or MPG, which use the built in VDJ Video Decoder everthing works fine.

B. VDJ set to use the (Window) with Hardware Acceleration checked -- All videos play fine. Even if I drag the (Window) to the second display and maximize it. Which is a real bitch, since every VDJ session I have to drag the (Window) to the second display then maximize which still give me the title bar across the top of the screen.

ALSO, since I have the hardware acceleration selected all of the video loads are quick like in 3.0.

So the question is -- why won't the videos play direct to the second output with the hardware acceleration selected and VDJ set to use the video card directly and not the stupid (Window) box??

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Posted Fri 19 Aug 05 @ 4:45 am
well i may have found my answer - AND IT SUCKS!!

From the great knowledge of Microsoft --
3.7 How do I get the Player to play in full-screen mode on my second monitor?
Windows Media Player can only play in full-screen mode on the primary monitor. For more information about changing your primary monitor, see Windows Help.

Well this may explain my problem. Can anyone confirm this? Try setting one of the extensions to use WMP with Hardware Acceleration checked and see if your output on the secondary monitor is simply 'blank'! Look forward to some feedback. Thanks.

This kinda explains why VDJ decoder works in Hardware Acceleration and not the WMP Decoder - I think.

Posted Fri 19 Aug 05 @ 6:01 am
I have a NVIDIA 6600GT, I use harware accelleration and am set to use WMP as Decoder and it outputs to second monitor perfectly(VDJ 3.1)

Partyman

Posted Fri 19 Aug 05 @ 9:06 am
Well even after buying another video card and trying to use it I am still stuck in the same situation. My only conclusion is that it is a combination of the Codec & WMP with the methods now being used in 3.1 for processing video. However, I am not saying it is VDJ's fault. There is one solution I have not tried and that is a complete reload of the system. Will see what that produces! Be back with more later.... And any insight would help before I do the trash and reload. Thanx.

Posted Tue 23 Aug 05 @ 4:40 am
cstoll,

I hope the fresh installation will resolve your problem. What Video Card did you buy?

Posted Tue 23 Aug 05 @ 5:32 pm
I bought an PCI-Ex16 ATI Radeon X700Pro with 256Mb of DDR3.

I honestly think it is the combination of the codec (3ivX) and having to use WMP as the decoder. However, as mentioned before I have put tried the same vids on a friend brand new laptop (Killer Specs!!) and they work fine with Hardware Acceleration checked in VDJ. So, the only resort at this point is to start with a fresh load, bummer!!

Posted Wed 24 Aug 05 @ 2:55 am
It a very good Video Card. I use DivX with DivX codec not with WMP. It works just right (DivX6). Maybe something with 3ivX is not ok. Use the last codec. I hope It will resolve with all your're doing.

Good Luck!

Posted Wed 24 Aug 05 @ 5:02 am
Well I have the latest codec And after a fresh load of WinXP, DX9c, latest 3ivX Codec..... STILL NO JOY!! I wish I new what the f..n problem was. Everything else works fine with Hardware Acceleration checked, just not those files that require 3ivX. So, I guess I will be converting some files.

What just doesn't make sense is that I can get them to work on other machines. That's what is really screwed. Oh well, live and learn.

Again, any help anyone can give, will be greatly appreciated and welcomed.

cstoll

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 3:48 am
OK, for now the solution is v3.01... I am not sure what the real solution will be in the future but for now with me using 3ivX videos I have to roll back to get the right performance so I can have more time to play with v3.1 and get it right. Will post back if I ever get it fixed right.

Posted Fri 26 Aug 05 @ 4:05 am
It's weird, If it works in 3.01 why doesn't work in 3.1?, well maybe 3.2 will do it right. ;-)

Posted Fri 26 Aug 05 @ 5:06 pm
acw_dj -- I think the link is the engineering that went into providing some codecs embeded in VDJ and having all other codecs using WMP as the decoder. Not quite sure of the mechanics involved but being a software developer, I am sure that the development team was not able to keep the same methods/mechanics used in 3.01 inplace when they optioned to embed codecs in 3.1.

Also remember, this is only weird on my system at the club. I have borrowed a few of my friends brand new really high-end laptops and loaded it with VDJ (only for testing) and tested the problem and their equipment worked as expected - Hardware Acceleration checked and functioning perfect.

So, I am still puzzled at the difference between what they have inplace and I have. Will let everyone know what I discover and Yes looking forward to 3.2 and see if some refinements will be made.

cstoll

Posted Fri 26 Aug 05 @ 8:12 pm
jchiarPRO InfinityMember since 2005
CSTOLL, did you try to tun DXDIAG and see if the direct x video test look smooth?

What i mean, is does the CUBE sping smooth??

Posted Wed 07 Sep 05 @ 4:23 pm
Yes, been down that road. Both with the NVIDIA and ATI cards. Still no joy.

Bottom line is that I really need to just to a total strip and reload and see what happens. I have just been overwhelmed at work (real job) and have not made the time. Will be able to do this in the next couple of weeks though.

thanks for the suggestion.

cstoll

Posted Thu 08 Sep 05 @ 11:44 pm
Cstoll, Let us know what happend when you do that. Good Luck!

Posted Fri 09 Sep 05 @ 4:30 am
will do...

Posted Fri 09 Sep 05 @ 6:46 am
OK, just to bring all those up-to-date. I finally got a chance to work on this problem with my full attention. I did what was suggested by a total wipe disk clean and re-install all from scratch. Oh, before I give you the result; I suggest for everyone that has XP go to Microsoft's website and request the XP2 service pack to be sent to you on CD. I did and it makes the whole process much easier.

So the results, I am happy to say all is working as designed!!!!! I have FULL Hardware Acceleration with version 3.1 using Windows Media Player as the decoder.

So for all that gave advice, thanks!!

Lesson: When in doubt and stumped on why? FORMAT, RELOAD and PRAY.

cstoll

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 4:13 am
cstoll, glad you got all working... :-)

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 3:59 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)