Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Card to make the most of VDJ's video

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

idj4uPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I'm currently building a dedicated gig PC for Virtual DJ. While I don't really have the need for video yet.... I may as well do it right from the start. Unless you all suggest I hold off on the video card until I actually have the need to go video (may not be til next year).

I know nothing about graphics cards, except that I really need to look at 256 meg. I know chipset and other specs make a difference, but I don't know what I'm looking for, or what the numbers mean.

What's the difference between these two, for example? To me, apart from the price they are the same.

Nvidia 6600 (PCI-E)
* 256mb 128bit DDR
* TV OUT
* DVI
* PCI Express Slot
Geforce 6600

Chipset:
GF6600 PCI Express

Video Output Function:
TV-Out (S-Video connector)
DVI Connector

Support Memory:
256MB, DDR 128Bit

Key Features
Supercharge your gaming with the power of an NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GPU. The NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GPUs deliver best-in-class performance and advanced visual effects for next-generation games. The only GPU in its class with support for Microsoft DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 and with support for PCI Express, the GeForce 6600 delivers ultra-realistic effects, unmatched features, and rock-solid stability so you can play your game the way its meant to be played.

Revolutionary Superscalar Architecture
CineFX 3.0 Engine
On-Chip Video Processor
UltraShadow II Technology
Intellisample 3.0 Technology
Unified Driver Architecture (UDA)
nView Multi-Display Technology
Digital Vibrance Control 3.0
PCI Express Support
Microsoft DirectX 9.0 Optimizations and Support
OpenGL 1.5 Optimizations and Support
Ensures the best performance and application compatibility for all OpenGL applications.
HDTV support
Provides world-class HDTV-out functionality up to and including 1920x1080i resolutions

OR

GeForce 6800 Chipset Features
* Superscalar GPU architecture
* NVIDIA CineFX 3.0 engine
* On-chip Video processor delivers unmatched video performance and features.
* 256-bit memory interface with advanced memory control
* NVIDIA UltraShadow II technology enhances the performance of bleeding-edge games that feature complex scenes with multiple light sources and objects. Second-eneration technology delivers more than 4x the shadow processing power over the previous generation.
* NVIDIA High-Precision Dynamic-Range (HPDR) technology
* 128-bit studio-precision computation prevents image defects due to low precision and ensures the best image quality for even the most demanding applications.
* NVIDIA Intellisample 3.0 technology
* Full MPEG Support
* Advanced adaptive de-interlacing
* Video scaling and filtering
* Integrated TV encoder
* NVIDIA ForceWare Unified Driver Architecture (UDA)
* DirectX 9.0 and OpenGL 1.5 Optimizations and Support
* NVIDIA Digital Vibrance Control (DVC) 3.0
* Designed for PCI Express x16
* Supports PCI Express high-speed interconnect (HSI) technology for bidirectional interconnect protocol conversion
* NVIDIA SLI multi-GPU ready
* 256-bit advanced memory interface
* 0.13 micron process technology
* Advanced thermal management and thermal monitoring
* Memory Interface: 256-bit
* RAMDACs (MHz): 400

12 pipes
5 Vertex engines
450 core/ 400 memory
Samsung DDR3 Memory
DVI output,
TV-Out
SLI Interface

This is the newer Nvidia NV42 revision model which does not need an added Power cable to run!

Posted Sun 14 Aug 05 @ 10:15 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
idj4u,

In few words: The difference remains in the chipset. The 6800 is more powerful than 6600. It works faster than 6600. 6800 doubles 6600 bandwith (33.6GB/s vs 16GB/s), and Memory interface as well (256 bit vs 128 bit).

I recommend you 6800GT or the 6600GT. It's important because the GT versions are more powerful. These versions include a faster DDR3 RAM.

And remember, you need a good power supply in your PC. 350 Watts (at last) and 16AMP in 12Volts. 450 Watts power supply will ensure your power needs for PC.

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 12:15 am

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 12:32 am
idj4uPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Excellent. That makes sense. Thanks!

One more thing - does the brand matter so much? For example, there are 6 or 7 brand names I foudn associated with 7800GTX cards available here in New Zealand.

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 2:45 am
The chipset are made by N-Vidia, the manufacture maybe another one. You may have to check the quality issues associated with each brand. Technically the have to perform equally.

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 2:49 am
Hey Nick,

Check out my blogs to see what I'm running.

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 6:38 am
idj4u: same chip, diffirent manufacturer. so, it should in theory be no diffirent if you buy the cheapest 7800 card.

thread starter: I'd choose 6800gt aswell.
(2xSLI 6800gt outperforme a single 7800 card.. requires a SLI ready mobo, though.)

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 4:25 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)