Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: "video" laptop

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Before I order, just checking that this laptop will do good for playing video on a separate video out with good performace with VDJ.

I can't find any other laptop with "more" gfx.

DELL Inspiron XPS with:

Intel® Pentium® M 770 ( 2.13GHz)
256MB NVIDIA® GeForceTM Go 6800 ULTRA with PCI Express x16 interface, S-Video out
1Gb RAM
80 GB 5400rpm

Posted Thu 11 Aug 05 @ 2:07 pm
hmm.. haven't seen any laptop with 256 GPU RAM.. Interesting... :|
I wonder though if it is nescesary with 256... there are several ATI X700 cards in laptops aswell, but I'm not sure it is enough. 7200rpm disk is, as you prob know, faster...

Posted Thu 11 Aug 05 @ 3:54 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
It's impressive in specs, but there are another things that make more performance differences. One is the chipset in the motherboard, second; the chip processor, third; Amount of memory and memory speed, fourth; HD Speed (RPMs) and cache memory.

If you find some P4 notebook with HT and 3GHz or more (FSB 533 or more), it will be more powerful than the Pentium M processor. The Pentium M based notebook are for power saving features. But we don't mind to have a 1:30 hr battery or have 5 hrs, because we are plug in the Gig, right?.

Even if you had this amazing video card, you may have more overall notebook performance with another one.

The notebook you select will work fine, but a P4 HT have more performance.

Good Luck!

Posted Thu 11 Aug 05 @ 4:54 pm

Posted Thu 11 Aug 05 @ 5:22 pm
I have the model just underneath the one you describe (CPU is 2 Ghz, not 2.13 Ghz on mine), but I got the 60 Gb 7200 RPM option... It works just fine with video, no problem whatsoever.

Posted Thu 11 Aug 05 @ 6:23 pm

Posted Thu 11 Aug 05 @ 9:53 pm
ya, alienware.com super high performance computers, if you want a powerful labtop go there, i bet they have labtps as powerful as some servers...

Posted Thu 11 Aug 05 @ 10:42 pm
plus they look awseoem, and you can build a custom one too

Posted Thu 11 Aug 05 @ 10:44 pm
Yes, I have a Dell Inspiron 9300. The HP described in my opinion won't cut it with a 4200 RPM drive...

Posted Fri 12 Aug 05 @ 8:49 am
I think I will go for the HP, but change the HD to a 7200 rpm (have to buy that aftermarket and change it my self)

Posted Fri 12 Aug 05 @ 9:33 am
i personally would go alienware... and build it custom, and they have so many more options than anywhere else... but its your choice

Posted Fri 12 Aug 05 @ 7:48 pm
DeeJay Ken, go for the HP and change the HD, It was a very good hardware. It's the right choice... If you need more space go for and external HD (An USB2 with 250GB or more, you could get an external case and put in it a UATA HD of your choice)

Good Luck!

Posted Fri 12 Aug 05 @ 11:00 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
If you plan to keep all of your media on external (ie firewire or USB) drives, then the speed of the internal drive will only affect bootup speed, application launch speed. Could also affect general performance if you use up your memory and start relying on virtual memory, but just add more memory to avoid that.
On the other hand, if you plan to keep all of your media on the internal drive, then you will probably want to get the biggest drive you can for the money... and speed will help there too.

Posted Fri 12 Aug 05 @ 11:04 pm
Thanks all!

I will go for the HP and a faster HD, good idea about external HD. Will USB2 do for speed playing video (ofcource I buy a very fast 3.5" as external).

"brennan11" alienware looks ok, but I like to purcase here in Sweden, not shipping a laptop overseas (parts ok but not a hole laptop)

:-)

Posted Fri 12 Aug 05 @ 11:47 pm
there are stores in the uk, germany, and france for alienware... at the top of the page it asks you to select a country, then you wont have to ship across seas, but w/e...

Posted Sat 13 Aug 05 @ 4:42 am
"brennan11", do you work at alienware? :-)

Posted Sat 13 Aug 05 @ 2:26 pm
haha, i wish, no i dont, i would like to though, and im only 15 so... no, i just love their stuff, and am saying he can get exactly 100% of what he needs their, he can just build a custom computer, and so he wont have to take any risks on being a bit low on ram or anything ect. (just using the ram thing as an example)

Posted Sat 13 Aug 05 @ 9:14 pm
Dollar for dollar the HP is the way to go. It has a desktop processor and it is easy to upgrade memory or the harddrive without taking the whole thing appart.

Posted Sun 14 Aug 05 @ 2:49 pm
I agree with digitakmdj. And I use and external USB 2 Hard Drive and works fine with videos and VDJ. Don't worry it will work just fine.

Congrats in advance DeeJay Ken, you will have a powerful notebook to work!

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 12:07 am
i have a nx9010, with onboard shared RAM ATI Mobility™ Radeon™ IGP 340, is it any good? Anyone have the same maby?

Posted Sat 20 Aug 05 @ 10:08 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)