Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Warbled sound: 512 mb not enough?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

keyonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
When I use vdj for my mobile gigs, things go smoothly. I don't use beatlock, just straight up simple crossfades for these type of events. But when I use vdj to remix and use beatlock, after about 10 - 15 minutes, sound becomes horrible. Music sounds warbled, almost like it's underwater or something. Here are the specs for my Toshibal Satellite 1955 series laptop: Intel Pentium 4 2.53 GHz, 512 MB DDR SDRAM, XP Home; the system is well ventilated. I've tried everything listed in the 'Skipping Solutions' thread and every combination of vdj settings to no avail.

Support: Do you think upgrading my memory from 512 mb to 1 GB would solve this problem?

Posted Wed 10 Mar 04 @ 10:17 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I think upping your RAM is always a good idea. I don't know about this issue tho.
Warbled sound? Check the gain level... also turn the limiter to off.

Posted Wed 10 Mar 04 @ 10:24 pm
I've messed with the gain but I haven't disabled the limiter so I'll try that next. I guess if that doesn't take, I'll order another 512 mb stick and keep my fingers crossed that does it.

Thank you for your suggestions and quick response DJ Rick.

Posted Wed 10 Mar 04 @ 10:48 pm
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Is your beatlock setting set to elastic? this really messes around with the sound especially if its not a constant beat like hiphop. Things become worse when Time Stretch "Master Tempo" is off as it accually bends the pitch of the song while it is doing this.
1st Check to see what setting beatlock is on. I surgest Rigid
2nd Enable Time Stretch

This should solve your problems

Richard

Posted Wed 10 Mar 04 @ 11:56 pm
Richard, I tried your suggestions but unfortunately it keeps doing the same thing. But I do appreciate your input.

I tried turning off the limiter too DJ Rick and that didn't have any effect either, but it was worth a shot. I've just ordered another 512 mb memory stick to upgrade to 1 GB, hoping that takes care of it. I'll post an update here once I try that out. Thanks again.

Posted Thu 11 Mar 04 @ 7:41 pm
nancybPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Try turning off the limiter

Posted Wed 17 Mar 04 @ 1:48 am
Tried turning off limiter too, no luck, still distorted.

Posted Wed 17 Mar 04 @ 8:29 am
could be ur xp or xp settings

Posted Wed 17 Mar 04 @ 9:24 am
You very well may be right smokey187. I just don't know what settings in xp to change anymore. I've tried a ton of settings to enhance performance, including the various settings suggested by support and users here. I'm doubling my memory any day now. I have a feeling that won't solve it as 512 mb should be enough. So if upping to 1 GB doesn't work, I may try a fresh install of xp Home. If that doesn't take, either upgrade to xp pro or downgrade to win 2k. And if that no take, I dunno, I'll wait til I get there.

Posted Wed 17 Mar 04 @ 5:44 pm
xp pro is notbad but the best performance i've seen with vdj is windows 98
its so stable

Posted Thu 18 Mar 04 @ 1:13 am
Well, I just upgraded from 512 mb to 768 mb memory (a little less than the 1 GB I originally was going to try but still more than enough for vdj) & it didn't help, sound still gets distorted once I start using beatlock. I don't think xp pro is that much of a performance boost from the XP Home I use now so I guess I'll try a fresh install of win 2000 next and see if it runs any differently. Too bad cuz I really like xp. I don't know what else to do.

smokey, I had tons of crashes on my old desktop when I used win 98 but I'm glad it's so stabile for u. If I still had my 98 copy I'd try it with vdj to see.

Posted Thu 18 Mar 04 @ 5:22 am
Update: Problem solved!!! Didn't have to move back to win2k after all. Perseverance paid off. Solution: settings tweak + the newly added memory.

Using instructions from xp help notes, I changed the virtual memory page file. I had tried this previously with 512 mb mem. but no impact. Now with the upgrade to 768 mb, I tried again, changing and doubling the initial page file size to 1149 but leaving the maximum at 3000 mb. That totally did the trick. I did some heavy remixing, using beatlock often, dropping samples, playing with scratch, for nearly 3 hours straight and had near perfect sound (prior to this, after 10-15 minutes, sound went bad).

With the added memory, I'm seeing a huge difference in the way vdj now performs. Pitch now a lot more precise when adjusting. Beatlock has improved dramatically. Now I'm going to buy even more memory and finally max it out at 1 GB for double insurance. I also disabled the limiter again in vdg (though I don't know if that really helps or not; didn't have any impact when I originally did it). To note, I don't think changing the page file does much at 512 mb or less but beyond that it must. At least for my particular computer setup it did.

Damn, I shout out from the rooftops that I am so loving this program now!

--------------------------------------------------------

For anyone experiencing a sound problem similiar to what mine was and wanting to adjust page file size to see if it helps or not, this from microsoft:

To change the size of the virtual memory paging file
You must be logged on as a computer administrator in order to complete this procedure.

Open System in Control Panel.
On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
On the Advanced tab, under Virtual memory, click Change.
Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.
Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, and type a new paging file size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.
If you decrease the size of either the initial or maximum page file settings, you must restart your computer to see the effects of those changes. Increases typically do not require a restart.

Notes

To open System, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
To have Windows choose the best paging file size, click System managed size.
For best performance, do not set the initial size to less than the minimum recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your system. Usually, you should leave the paging file at its recommended size, although you might increase its size if you routinely use programs that require a lot of memory.
To delete a paging file, set both initial size and maximum size to zero, or click No paging file. Microsoft strongly recommends that you do not disable or delete the paging file.

Posted Thu 18 Mar 04 @ 7:42 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)