Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Sound Problems, AGAIN!!!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

sjohnPRO InfinityMember since 2004
OK. I'm very close to trying another DJ program, but will try to straighten out my problems first. I had a wedding tonight and again had sound problems about 2 hours into the event. The sound was distorted and I also noticed the Virtual DJ program begin to slow down. When I looked for songs in my folders on the left side of the player, it started getting noticably slower. I finally resorted to cd's, thank God I brought backup equipment, and then rebooted 2 times and everything seemed fine.
My laptop is a brand new toshiba P4 2.4 ghz with 512 ram. I also use a Gigaport soundcard. I honestly think it's the program. I also use the basic skin. Anyone having this issue? Anyone have a resolution?????

Thanks,

Scott

Posted Sun 07 Mar 04 @ 4:24 am
Did you have any other programs running in the background, like a antivirus program, or were you connected to a network/internet?

If so, that might have been the problem. One should always close or exit these programs, so that they don't suddenly use up CPU time, like when a antivirus-program starts its weekly scan or someone is transfering files to/from your computer.

I hope this helps.

- Jim Nordic

Posted Sun 07 Mar 04 @ 4:38 am
Also check if the ventilation of your laptop is free from any obstruction (in and out). A laptop which overheating can have this kind of problem.

Hope this help

Coyote

Posted Sun 07 Mar 04 @ 5:04 am
sjohnPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Is the laptops fan suppose to stay on all the time? My kicks on and off. It's located on the bottom of the laptop and clear of any dust. It's only a couple of months old.

Thanks,

Scott

Posted Sun 07 Mar 04 @ 3:51 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
I also use a toshiba laptop. Is yours a satellite ? Anyways my sound never becomes distorted but it does get very hot and after about 3 or 4 hrs it can be a little choppy. I think if I added more ram there would be no problems at all.

Posted Sun 07 Mar 04 @ 7:44 pm
i have the same thing happen to me recently , maybe i have to many things save to my hdd, idk maybe slowing my pc down .. idk , any1 figure out whats the deal?

Posted Thu 11 Mar 04 @ 4:26 am
i had the same issue on a Dell Inspiron 8100 256MB 1 GHZ.

it works allright for several hours, then it becomes choppy.

i don't want to buy another memory expansion bank because the slot has already been taken by a 128mb bank.

Because i don't wnat these surpises anymore, i built myself a brandnew workstation for @ home, and promoted my current workstation to 'Dedicated VDJ-station' and added a tft-screen.

no worries anymore :]

Posted Thu 11 Mar 04 @ 1:32 pm
nancybPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi, I also have 2 brand new Toshiba p25 & p15. The cooling is set to high but after an hour or 2 I also get that distorted sound. Technical support suggested I disable the limiter. I tried doing so when the sound started distorting and the system let out a huge wierd sound so I haven't tried it live again...I'm going to try turning it off when I start out...

Posted Wed 17 Mar 04 @ 1:46 am
DJFREDOPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I have a Toshiba Satelite Also, As for the software slowing down, I have not had that problem since I turned off the Hyper Threading in my Bios. Try that. Also I also got sound issue after 4 to 5 hours of straight play. If somebody has played with the limiter disabled I would greatly appreciate it if you'd let me know how it went with your sound issues.

Posted Thu 18 Mar 04 @ 12:11 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Hmmm I wonder if I have hyper threading I don't believe I do.

Posted Thu 18 Mar 04 @ 9:44 pm
keyonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I don't know if this will help anyone with continued Toshiba Satellite sound problems: I had distorted sound with vdj too until I went from 512 to 767 mb memory and changed the page file. I have a thread on this posted here under 'warbled sound.'

Also, when I first bought it I learned that the usb bandwidth on my Toshiba laptop (nearly a year and a half old, 1955 Satellite series) wasn't enough for usb sound cards -- caused hiccups, skips in sound til I went with an external pcmcia sound card which solved that problem.

Posted Fri 19 Mar 04 @ 10:40 pm
Hello new to this but love it!!! Well done... however I get a wobble pitch up/down when using sometimes... any reason HELP!!!

Thanks Mike

Posted Fri 19 Mar 04 @ 11:07 pm
RAM

Posted Sat 20 Mar 04 @ 8:52 am
nancybPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi,
I have the distorted problem and have a brand new toshiba p25 609 1 gig ram..hmmm, maybe the computer is not the problem. Software glitch? Controller glitch?

Posted Wed 24 Mar 04 @ 2:00 pm
Nancyb,

Do you have Hyperthreading and/or speedstep on your laptop? try to disable it.

another tip that solved my problems:
Keep your windows-XP up to date, there are several M$-Hotfixes (including USB-drivers and Direct-sound drivers etc) which solves most of the problems.

I have build myself a dedicated PC for mixing ony.
There's Window's XP on it incl.SP1 with all the latest hotfixes.
It's got a Asus A7N8X-E-deluxe mainboard (AMD 3000)
1 GB ram pc3200(DDR400)
only 1 HD of 80 GB (internal)

I only use it for Mixing and nothing else, there are 2 software packages installed: Winamp(for CD-ripping) and VDJ.
It really runs like lightning and still keeps running without any problems/distortions/interruptions even after playing 3..4 hour sets.

Posted Fri 26 Mar 04 @ 7:13 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)