Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Two Things

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

hey

i have two questions

what is the use of gain...if i use auto gain matching, sometimes the gain level goes way up and the sound quality is screwed...can i do something? i remember something about mp3gain???

and

what is this beat nudge??

thanks

cheers
ananda

and no i am not indonesian, i am indian...

but we're close enough... :)

Posted Mon 22 Sep 03 @ 6:21 am
jokoHome userMember since 2004
Hey, Ananda.

It's been awhile since you'd asked those questions. I just saw them and felt bad that you'd never gotten a response. Here's one, if you ever even see it!

First, the gain is simply the volume (sounds like you probably already know that) and when set on "auto gain", Atomix sort of calculates the volume of each song and adjusts the next in cue to match. Honestly, I get the same effect you get--the volume gets way out of whack and sounds very bad. Best to leave that option disabled and do your own adjusting. I have an external mixing board with peak meters (the lights showing the volume levels) which I now know I could never live without. Before I'd bought the board, I'd thought there must be software somewhere you could get for on-screen computer peak metering...but never did check.

The other, the beat nudge is so necessary. I've changed my keyboard shortcuts all around, but originally I think the nudge forward is the left arrow and backward is the right arrow. You know how it sounds when your beats aren't quite matched--my friends and I call it, "tennis shoes in the dryer". The nudge feature lets you slide the entire song forward or back to align better with the other song playing. Sometimes you only need tap lightly on the arrows to get the songs matched, other times you may have to keep pecking the arrow key (or just hold it for a sec) to give the whole song a good slide. Trick is training your ear to hear which song is really ahead of the other! Play with the nudge and you'll learn to love it, I'm sure. When I first started this I had the dumb idea that if the peaks of the beats matched on the screen then the songs must play in perfect sync. NOT! More times than not, one song or the other needs to be just a hair ahead for perfect sync. Once you get them aligned in sync, if they fall out of sync on their own then you'll know either the BPM is set wrong on one song or the other, or the song was just poorly made or it's a poor recording. You just might have to KEEP nudging the beat every few seconds until you can get rid of the song. That's a terrible thing to have happen, especially if you're playing live! LOVE THE NUDGE--it can save your butt! :)

Hope this helps!

DJ Joko

Posted Sat 06 Dec 03 @ 9:04 am
reziaHome userMember since 2003
Iya tuh, mending dimatiin aja fasilitas otomatisnya, beatnya nggak bener - bener match.

Posted Sat 27 Dec 03 @ 10:13 am
reziaHome userMember since 2003
MP3 gain only equalizing the gain, i my self using band equalizer and kill all auto features to mixing.

Posted Sat 27 Dec 03 @ 10:15 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)