Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Skipping in low memory setups...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Before I start, I would like to point out that I know it's bloody stoopid to install XP on a box with only 64Mb...

Anyhow, that's what I did, and the OS is reasonably ok... A litle crunchy at times, but bearable...

It's a P3 450MHz, 64MB RAM, using the internal Hard drive for programs and an External USB (v1) Hard drive for MP3's

I tried both AtomixMP3 v2.2 and Traktor DJ Studio 2.0 on this box, and every 20-30 seconds or so AtomixMP3 skips about half a beat. Traktor does not.
Putting the MP3's on the internal drive did not solve the problem, and AtomixMP3 ran fine on the same machine under Win2K.

I have solutions (eg reinstall using 2K or get more memory), but I feel that it's probably a fixable issue, and whilst it seems to show only on low spec machines, it *could* indicate some larger problem...

I'm not naive enough to beleive that if Traktor can then AtomixMP3 should be able to, as the mixing engines are different and clearly have different operations to perform per cycle. However, it might be solvable by the addition of an adjustable quantity within AtomixMP3's engine.

Speculating here, but say the issue was to do with the input buffer being too small, or the read ahead being too little, such that AtomixMP3 simply doesn't get enough data when it needs it. surely some form of variable buffer size here would solve it.
Now I don't know the problem, this is just an illustration. but most top-end music apps have a latency/response slider which allow you to get better sound quality, at the expense of some degree of response, or vice versa.

The ability to configure something like this on AtomixMP3 would surely help people tailor the performance of atomixMP3 for their particular systems, possibly solving minor skipping problems, or such....

Andi Gordon
www.industry101.co.uk

Posted Wed 28 May 03 @ 1:29 pm
Slash4PRO InfinityMember since 2003
These engines are totally different. They do not do the same work at all. The atomix one needs more RAM, it's a known fact, but allows to make instant and perfect loops, to visualize the tracks, etc.

By decreasing the number in the resgistry entry :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\atomixmp3\ReSyncShift

you may reduce the skips... Give it a try and stay us informed ;-)

Slash

Posted Thu 29 May 03 @ 2:37 pm
Well I tried a number of different settings, and at 100 and 0 as the resyncshift value the skipping was significantly better, but still far from usable.

That said, I had to use Traktor 2 last night (no time to reinstall win2K to get atmoix working sensibly again) and that piece of sh*t locked up on me twice, the second time causeing the currently playing track to just stop...
The words "Traktor" and "Bargepole" sprang readily to mind.

I ended up using vtt in the end just to get by last night, but then even that suffered from the occaisional skip.

So, to conclude... XP, 64Mb and Atomix don't mix. But then most of us could have guessed that...

Time to go prep a different machine....

cheers for you help/suggestions anyway.

Andi Gordon
www.industry101.co.uk

Posted Wed 04 Jun 03 @ 12:20 pm
DJ CocoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Atomix needs more RAM to work properly..
You might find the solution there...

Posted Wed 04 Jun 03 @ 10:43 pm
You're almost certainly spot on, but I tihnk I'll be prepping a desktop box, as I have one with 192MB RAM that isn't doing much ATM.

Also I can't rule out the USB drive being a bit flaky too, as when I was copying files to it, it managed to consistently make my machine hang for about 3-5 seconds with no redraw.

I'm not sure that I can trust it in a live scenario.

Posted Thu 05 Jun 03 @ 11:44 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)