Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Gain wont stay '0.0'

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

av-danoHome userMember since 2003
I can't seem to get gain to stay at "0.0"
each time I start up a new song - the gain jumps.

I have Auto Gain Disabled - but it still does this.

Is there somewhere to stop this behaviour? Gain adjustments are causing some severe distortion. :-/

Posted Sun 16 Mar 03 @ 1:22 am
Try scanning it before you use it in a set.

Posted Sun 16 Mar 03 @ 2:24 am
Welp - "analize'ing the files didnt help. I still get +/- 10.0 on my stuff. There has got to be a way to stop this. Does anybody else see this problem?

Posted Mon 17 Mar 03 @ 8:36 am
One other point - the 'slider' does not seem to jump around - just the number reported by various skins that give the exact number.

It always adjusts the 'number' right after loading the new track. So in -autostart mode - I see it mix to the next song, then load a new song in the now silent player. Then it adjusts the gain. (as seen in numbers, as well as the visual graph 'hop's up or down for the display.

Posted Mon 17 Mar 03 @ 8:52 am
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
If you don't have the auto gain on... Atomix is NOT changing the gain of the track. It's simply reporting to you about the level of the track. notice that the slider is still centered. The level of the song is NOT being adjusted, just reported to you.

Posted Mon 17 Mar 03 @ 11:17 am
SalvaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
The autogain never woked out well!, stop trying i did it all nothing works, because the autogain sucks!!.

vote for a Dynamics processor!!

Posted Wed 19 Mar 03 @ 11:56 am
salva man.relax.The autogain is not so bad.Ok sometimes its showing little bit more or less the sound level.Its matter of the analyzing the song.But....Helloooooooo.....pumping up the volume is our (Cjs) job.I never had big trouble with the sound volume,maybe because i like long mixes (2min or longer) so i am pumping the volume with a shortcut on keyboard so i can stop when i realize that the volume of the song that i mix is at higher volume.I am not deaf you know.Djrick said the rest

Posted Thu 20 Mar 03 @ 2:27 am
the autogain sucks and is a menace in such high power dj software like atomixmp3.

play your mp3's in xaudio.de, ots juke or bpm studio and you wil hear and feel the difference.

Salva

Posted Sun 23 Mar 03 @ 9:21 am
Again.I never had big problems with autogain.I trust my ears.This is not a reason to change from atomixmp3 to bpm studio.The system of atomix is made to play music like on turntables not double cd players like all the other programs.So its the tool to use it for mixing music.Its is not AUTOmix that means that You have to do your mixing with Your skills.And adjusting volume is one of the main jobs of the dj or cj.Dont expect that the program will do everything for you.You have to do something also.

Cj-Dimitris.T

Posted Sun 23 Mar 03 @ 2:22 pm
let me think HHmmm, the make an autobeatmatch engine (the best in the world) and a autogain (the most crapy one in the world) on purpuse!, makes no sense to me.

That's so hard to believe, the most important thing for a mp3player is a good, clear and level sound output.
Let me put it this way it's more important than the autobeatmatchengine for a Dj! because i can do that also by myself and people won't hear or see the difference, but they will hear the difference of 3 till 10 db's!.

I ll give you a example, last friday i whas djing in a bar without monitors!, (thats crap also) but this time i realy missed a good and steady output in atomix.
I could not hear how the sound whas comming out clearly, so my friend had to keep me updated!, then i switched to the double player of xaudio and the problem whas fixed!.(but goddamed it's hard to beatmix manual without monitors!)
Xaudio.de is using the dsp-plugin audiostocker pro that will make every mp3 come out the same way, so i only had to tune my mixer ones and i had no problems with the sound for the rest of the night (the only problem is that i can do more stuff with atomix than with xaudio)

I respect your story but lets be real, i think it's not the real deal, ones you worked with atomix with a good dynamics you will say salva was right all the time :-).

Cheers

Posted Mon 24 Mar 03 @ 9:12 am
If you turn auto gain on and play your tracks all the way thru
the gain will stay at 0.0 or real close (you just have to manually change the gain from time to time, but as you use it more it becomes more stable). When you add a new track - scan hard drive (don't analyze or it will do the whole hard drive) and then analyzse the track from it's folder. When you play a track that you never played before may need to be manually adjusted or the gain on the next track will start at last tracks gain (ex. TRACKA is new and starts slow and low may have a gain of -7.5 you have to move it to 0.0 or TRACKB will load at -7.5) This levels out real well over time you just have to keep on eye on the gain and adjust it from time to time it just gets better the more you actually play the tracks all the way thru. With the tracks I've played a few times the gain will stay the same for hours until I play a track I haven't used yet then I have to set gain again. I have used this 5 nights a week since JUL 02 I rarely adjust the gain unless it's a new track. Hope this helps.

Posted Tue 25 Mar 03 @ 2:22 am
(If you turn auto gain on and play your tracks all the way thru)

Sorry but i don't now how many mp3's you got but if i would do this it would take a month!.

Salva

Posted Thu 27 Mar 03 @ 8:41 am
At least it will take you a shorter time than getting your Dynamics Processor.

No, but seriously... what you do is you jump around in the song... and in most cases you find the highest gain level which is then stored. You obly have to spend maybe 5-10 sec. per song... does that sound feasible?

Posted Thu 27 Mar 03 @ 9:18 am
brb57Home userMember since 2003
I have about 10K songs, however only 750 have been played since last July if you play one that hasn't been played you may have to adjust it. Over time you will find that it will occur less and less.

Posted Thu 27 Mar 03 @ 10:47 am
Jim has a very practical solution, I used to do that with 2.1 and it worked quite well.. it's like the analysis of the file that you can do i Atomix only checks the BPM, it doesn't check for aproriate gain-levels so you basically have to do a manual gain-analysis just like Jim wrote.

Posted Thu 27 Mar 03 @ 12:29 pm
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
What about running all of your mp3s through a volume normalizer program? There are many of them available.

Posted Thu 27 Mar 03 @ 7:02 pm
Slash4PRO InfinityMember since 2003
Personnaly, I use an external mixer so my gain is an Hardware one... In one hand, I agree with Salva. A quality software like Atomix would have a better autogain than this 'saturation maker' you can't use at a high level without a sound destruction.

In the other hand, it's our work, all Dj's, to set the gain at the right level. Without monitorig, it's hard ;-) But how a Dj can go mixing without his headphones ?? lol

Slash

Posted Thu 27 Mar 03 @ 9:44 pm
Yep this is the fastest way, to analyse a mp3.
Tip afther you did all your songs in the futere make a backup from the internal database, because it crashed ones in my case and i lost it all.

Cheers

Posted Fri 28 Mar 03 @ 6:42 pm
(But how a Dj can go mixing without his headphones)

He Dj a monitor is not a headphone, it's your own set of speakers right behind you, this way you hear what the people out on the dance floor hear.

i really hope for a Dynamics Processor in the next version.

Salva

Posted Sat 29 Mar 03 @ 9:05 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)