Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Should I even bother with this doorstop?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Ok, I'm broke but I really want to use Atomixmp3. i can't afford another computer right now. Will this laptop work or should I prop a door open with it?

Dell latitude Pentium II MMX D300 XT laptop
64 meg RAM ( I will increase that if I can - RAM is cheap!)
Windows 98 (I can upgrade to Windows 2000 - I have the CD)

Am I screwed with the 300 speed? Or could I venture to get a PCMCIA fireware card and an external firewire drive? I can afford that! Will I be able to function?

THANK YOU!

Bobby

Posted Tue 04 Mar 03 @ 10:19 pm
I used to run atomix on a sony vaio with similar specifications. I had a PII 366, 128Mb. I found that windows XP drastically improved performance, as well as using an external firewire hard drive.

Take note, however, DISABLE as many functions as you can. (equalizer, scratch, etc.) if you dont plan to use them, or enable when using, disable when not.

That should help with the fluidity of the waveform. Other than that, you should be able to use atomix fairly well on your computer. I probobaly spun like 200 parties using my laptop. I haven't used the newsest version of atomix on it however.

If you want to try it, upgrade to XP, upgrade your RAM to maximum allowed (like $30 online) and disable the features you don't use.

Regards,
Diggabyte

Posted Tue 04 Mar 03 @ 11:01 pm
I wouldn't use XP for a 300 ... You can get better performance with Windows 2000 !!!!! PLEASE !!! Take my word that it will handle atomix smoother.

Definately get 64 to 128 MB more ram.

I have a dual-boot system on my computer -> XP Pro / 2000. The 2000 partition is dedicated to Atomix. I've disabled EVERY unneccesary feature (NIC Card, etc) to open more resources for atomix.

If you take a look in the task manager ... have you ever noticed how "explorer" takes about about 15 megs ? Well I have my 2000 setup like Windows 3.1 ... the inteface which didn't have the taskbar ... instead it boots up with the main program manager with only atomix in it. With nothing else installed .... I garauntee 99.99% my system won't crash or drag down certain times.

Posted Wed 05 Mar 03 @ 7:14 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi Bobby,
You're cutting it real close with that computer. Mainly add as much RAM as it will hold. That's a fairly minimal investment, that way if you find that it really isn't up to the task, it's not like you're out a whole lot.
Good Luck man! Oh yeah, thanks for coming out last night, it was great to see ya!

Posted Fri 21 Mar 03 @ 4:00 pm
Rodie83Home userMember since 2001
Guys, to be honest....have you ever looked in your TM how much RAM Atomix is using? It is never over 8 MB. I agree with Trip on the point of loading a OS without the shit you will not use; although on your computer windows 98 may be the best choice, since 2000 or XP will consume to much of your resources. Upgrade the RAM of your computer just to be sure with 64 mb, use an external hard drive for your mp3's, get the latest version of sounddrivers and direct X, keep a clean OS installation and of you go!

Roderick

Posted Fri 21 Mar 03 @ 7:08 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)