Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Playing music in clubs/bars ........

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I've seen most DJ's in clubs/bars play CD's which are mostly CD-R's because they don't like to carry their originals to wherever they're performing.

My question is that ... If the sound quality is fine ... Do club owners care whether the music was downloaded or not ?

Posted Mon 03 Mar 03 @ 7:08 pm
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Not unless it's a one of the bigger clubs (not mainstream). Your music should all be legally purchased if you play at one of those.

Posted Mon 03 Mar 03 @ 7:59 pm
I'm talking about small clubs (100-200 people) ... Would the owner actually ask whether they're legally purchased or not ?

Would they be more concerned as to the liscensing of them or the quality of them or both ?

Posted Mon 03 Mar 03 @ 9:10 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I've never had an owner or manager ask, I'd be proud of the answer tho!

Posted Mon 03 Mar 03 @ 9:52 pm
If the owner of the bar pays the right of diffusion has the SOCAN ( in canada) , there should not be problem.
But the owner is the responsible person in front of the law on the royalty. Therefore, it would have checked the legality of Cd in its club.
Personally I never saw (in 25 years) the SOCAN inquiring into a club which paid the right of diffusion

Norm

Posted Mon 03 Mar 03 @ 10:15 pm
Thanks for the info guys. See the thing I that I've been asked to do a "guest" set at this small club on a thursday night which is mostly university/college students ... The DJ that is there on a regular basis is pretty good ... And I don't wanna be looked down to as "the new guy" ... I don't want anyone thinking "Who is the newbie with his downloaded crap ?"

I've got everything it takes ... the ear ... the technique ... the feel .. the confidence ... there's just the only thing I'm self consious of ... I would say about 15-20% of my music collection is legit ... the majority is all downloaded including the odd vinyl rip. But most of it is clean sounding (I know what sounds good and what isn't).

But when you're playing such a wide variety of music ... its impossible to have everything original.

Posted Tue 04 Mar 03 @ 12:50 am
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I know what you are saying. I try to purchase as many CD singles as possible, but most of them are just not available. Yes I can get them on vinyl, but they sound pretty bad when recorded to a PC. Unfortunatly most of the MP3s online are also vinyl rips, but at least some of them sound a little better then my own vinyl recordings. There is no easy way out in this case for me. Either go to full time TT DJing with one CD player on the side or keep downloading and purchasing only available CD singles to stay with Atomix. Yes, I am very picky about sound quality in the music I have. Nothing wrong with that... :) P.S. What does the other DJ spin with?

Posted Tue 04 Mar 03 @ 1:31 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
I am sure there are some DJ's out there that have 100% legit music but I have to say there are many more that have burnt tracks :)

Posted Tue 04 Mar 03 @ 2:28 am
Abnorm .. Thanks a bunch for the advice ... It's nice to know there's someone in the same league as I am. There is so much stuff out there on vinyl I cannot find on CD ... I am not prepared to do Vinyl rips either. Vinyl is such a shit format ... I hope goes out like the spice girls.

Bah ... there's no such thing as a good part-time DJ. It's such a snobby area to get into. Oh well ... It's not like I'd wanna work with other DJ's who take credit as if they actually composed the music they play.

Posted Tue 04 Mar 03 @ 3:08 am
kurfuHome userMember since 2003
www.promoonly.com

They have a pretty good service for professional DJ's and offer several different types of subscriptions, club music included.
I only DJ twice a week, and have to admit that a large porion of my music was "burned". Well... I'm trying to get legit, and this is where I started. ;)

-John

Posted Fri 07 Mar 03 @ 8:24 pm
jackcuHome userMember since 2004
I think you're taking a risk playing stuff you have not purchased. Firstly - if you aren't ripping and encoding them yourself, the quality may not be good enough. Secondly - it's illegal. If you can't get the tracks you want legitimately, I would play something else, but that's just me.

The club owners are the ones who will feel the heat if you get caught - then where will your reputation be?

Just my opinion,

Cheers,

Jack.

Posted Wed 26 Mar 03 @ 1:59 pm
The copyright I am not too concerned over. Most DJ's who have legit music still use CD-R's for the reason that they can have CDs with assorted songs on them without bringing the original disc.

Posted Wed 26 Mar 03 @ 5:29 pm
SalvaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
In holland whe pay Buma and Sena this is for the artist etc.,
When i hire a Dj he is responseble for the music he brings and play's, i am a owner of a bar and i couldnt care less, if the Dj is good it's oké.

But watch out there because when they get they get you good$$$$$$.

Salva

Posted Thu 27 Mar 03 @ 8:36 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)