Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Event Programming

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Please post your comments/oppinions/ideas regarding my proposal below.

Atomix is unique in it's ability to choose your own shortcut keys and assign them for various control options. As I was mixing the other night, an Idea came to me. What if there was an option in atomix to create your own functions for a shortcut key you choose? What this would mean is this: you might type out the following code (for example) in a text window that edits the function of a newly created shortcut.
{shortcut key "Z"
(
active play,
wait = 5, //time in seconds
active crossfade left = 4, //amount to move
active bass up = 2,
wait = 5,
active treble = normal,
crossfade = center,
active mid = normal,
crossfade left = 4,
active bass = normal,
wait = 10,
crossfade = left
)
}

Imagine the possibilities of creating your own functions! Like the one above, if you were to press the "Z" key, atomix would execute the series of events you specified (with some limitation of course)

This would infinitely expand the creative mixing possibilities of atomix! You could plan out whole mixes between songs, or special effects like cutting and flippin back and forth rapidly with EQ changes, limited only by your processor speed and your imagination, a whole new dimension of PC-based mixing would be opened.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Regards,
Diggabyte

Posted Tue 25 Feb 03 @ 8:56 pm
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I think that's a great idea. This maybe useful for prerecording mixes at home, but doesn't it take away the effect of "live mixing"? You can aswell use other software to create your mixes in advance. Great idea though!

Posted Tue 25 Feb 03 @ 9:21 pm
jukesyPRO InfinityMember since 2003
nice!

Posted Tue 25 Feb 03 @ 9:40 pm
Although the example I give is for a mix, that would not nearly be the limitations. I envision complex manuevers, like crossfading back and forth while starting a loop on each deck at the same time and starting and stopping effects, tweaking the EQ. The complexity is infinite (except bound by processing speed) and the user could custom tailor their own series of events, be it a simple mix between two songs utilizing the EQ, or a complex trick manuever derived from traditional turtablism. Users could even post their favorite functions, similar to the effects section, but it would require little programming knowledge, simply the key words and the required structure. Other than that, I think we would be flooded with unique, innovative and original functions from all aspects of mixing, and all parts of the world. You could make anything from the combination of the shortcuts that atomix uses (effects, crossfading, looping, play, pause, stop, samples, EQ, etc.). Any order, any combination to achieve your personal desired result in the press of a key.

More than mixing two songs, it could be derived to produce any conceivable combination of events in any order, for one or both songs.

Absolutely could change how mixing and "live remixing" is accomplished with atomix, could be largely beneficial.

Possibly suited for the "Pro" version that's in development.

To those programming teamers:
Is this even remotely possible to create?

Regards,
Diggabyte

Posted Tue 25 Feb 03 @ 10:34 pm
mUd-VPRO InfinityMember since 2003
It can be powerful but we need the wait time in beat , not in seconde

mUd-V

Posted Wed 26 Feb 03 @ 5:03 am
Sounds like a great idea ... but really if you're that desperate for perfection ... use EDITING programs like SoundForge or ACID.

Posted Wed 26 Feb 03 @ 7:03 am
Excellent idea :)

Posted Wed 26 Feb 03 @ 12:04 pm
Slash4PRO InfinityMember since 2003
Someone previously posted this idea, some *years* ago... It sounds great but I remember that the answer wasn't very positive... Maybe now it will be much different... I hope !

Posted Wed 26 Feb 03 @ 1:15 pm
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
I also remember a sort of 'scripting'-idea some time ago (I remember I was in favor of it :)) but I still think it could be great, even to make it possible to record a mix as a sort of macro: if you have made a small mistake somewhere and you want to correct it, just change some values (eg. the time the 2nd deck is started), let Atomix replay your macro, record as wave, and burn an excellent mix :)

Great idea BTW, including a simple scripting example. I'd rather go for a more OO approach, but thats just the implementation side. Dont know off course if Atomix is suited for this internally?

Well, to conclude :), its great :)

Greetz, Ikke

PS Sorry for this maybe quite weird post, cant really explain what I want to say in proper English :(

Posted Wed 26 Feb 03 @ 5:32 pm
What I would really want is the opportunity to create a shorcut which opens the input in the search window, so that I can totally stop using the mouse, besides it would be nice then to be able to choose wich player you load the track on on the "load" function in the shortcuts.

As of your particular request, try which enable to "macro" things onto your computer. http://www.girder.nl/

Posted Wed 26 Feb 03 @ 8:23 pm
mhvuHome userMember since 2003
Well,
For now you can actually use the shortcut editor in Atomixmp3 to assign a series of events (only event without the use of parameters). For example: if you want to assign the Z button to "goto cuepoint number 1, turn off bass, and play", you can assign 3 shortcuts to the key Z and when you press Z, it would work.
In the future, i hope Atomix team will improve this shortcut feature and include parameters

Posted Thu 27 Feb 03 @ 6:18 pm
Good point. The possibility for basic multi-function programming already exists in atomix, which leads me to believe that a slight variation could produce the results which we desire.

Regards,
Diggabyte

Posted Thu 27 Feb 03 @ 11:26 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)