Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Increase in Gain = Increase in Distortion

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

abc123Home userMember since 2003
1. I need more volume but when I increase the gain I get fuzzy distortion in the sound. Should I operate Atomix with the gain mostly at zero level. When I use my regular CD mixer and external mixer I always have the gain knob all the way up or so - and I never get distortion. I am using atomix with 2 sound cards and an external mixer. I really like the program but the sound quality is pertty poor. Maybe I should keep my external mixer at zero. Someone please tell me what combination of settings works best. Maybe if I need more power I should get another amp?

2. Maybe my 128 mp3s are too low in quality. Anyone notice a noticable difference between 128 and over 128 mp3s.

3. I have trouble matching volumes with my mixes. Any suggestions. I use auto gain but it doesn't work always.

Thanks.

Great program otherwise.

Posted Fri 21 Feb 03 @ 6:02 am
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Gain in Atomix should always stay on 0db or as close to it as possible. Unlike the gain control on your mixer, gain on Atomix is only software and will not handle higher volumes. It might even damage your speakers, so be very careful. My suggestion is if you have VU meters on your mixer, to keep them as close to 0db as possible as well. 0db is optimal sound quality, with minimal distortion on mixers as well. If you don't have VUs on your mixer, set Atomix to 0db and enable auto gain, so it keeps the next deck at the same level. Keep an eye on it now and then, since in order for the right gain level to be detected, a track has to be played in Atomix at least once from beginning to end. And oh yeah, one more thing... buy Atomixmp3! It's the best DJ software availabe, and I've tried nearly most of them. :)

Posted Fri 21 Feb 03 @ 11:51 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)