Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: What Do I Play For this Party? Help!!!!!!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all, I normally do small parties for kids under 16, and I know what to play for those parties, but in a few days I'm djing a party for people ages 20-50, with most of the people being between 20 and 30. Please help me, because I think I have a good idea of what to play, but I'm wondering what you all would suggest. I'm not going to play techno, so techno recommendations won't help. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks!

-MixMasterMatt

Posted Fri 03 Jan 03 @ 8:22 pm
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
Maybe something groovy or RnB-like?

Posted Fri 03 Jan 03 @ 8:30 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I usually ask the host/hostess for a list of about a dozen songs that he/she likes and thinks that his/her friends will enjoy. I also ask for a much shorter list of songs (or types of songs) that they do not like. (no body should ever have to pay over a hundred bucks an hour for someone to play music that they hate)
The requests usually make me think of another dozen or so songs based on the type of music that is listed.
That gives you a basic starting point. Now as the people come into the room, just look at them, usually once I actually see the people I can figure out exactly what it's going to take to make them move.
take the play list, add it to what your eyes see, factor in the "don't play list", and boom... before you know it, you are in the middle of the best party these people have ever been to.

Good Luck man!

Posted Fri 03 Jan 03 @ 8:58 pm
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
Yeah!
The thing is to look at the people and find out what kind of music they like..that´s one of the most important thing for a Dj too do...and it takes time to learn =P

Posted Sat 04 Jan 03 @ 12:22 am
holy smokes.....we are supposed to be mobile dj`s, willing and able to play almost ANY request. in this day and age of computers you sure as heck can carry about 1000 x more than what i did in the days of plastic records and tapes (tapes were almost impossible to Q.) i think maybe you should download some glen miller, big band stuff,....some 50`s 60`s 70`s 80`s 90`s etc.....download the top hits of every year and when some one asks you for a song from the big band era and you don`t have it you can always say....i don`t have that one...i`ll mark it down...but i do have blah blah...
you will find that most of the time the requestor will be happy with

Posted Sat 04 Jan 03 @ 7:01 am
holy smokes.....we are supposed to be mobile dj`s, willing and able to play almost ANY request. in this day and age of computers you sure as heck can carry about 1000 x more than what i did in the days of plastic records and tapes (tapes were almost impossible to Q.) i think maybe you should download some glen miller, big band stuff,....some 50`s 60`s 70`s 80`s 90`s etc.....download the top hits of every year and when some one asks you for a song from the big band era and you don`t have it you can always say....i don`t have that one...i`ll mark it down...but i do have blah blah...

SORRY ABOUT ALL THE POSTS..I WAS HITTING THE WRONG BUTTON..LOL..

Posted Sat 04 Jan 03 @ 7:03 am
invogueHome userMember since 2002

Go check out these sites for a quick tutor on events with multi age attendance. (Before you know, you'll be parting with the grown-ups! Just kidding ya.)

Music Selection 101
http://dju.prodj.com/courses/music/c2.html

Music Library Essentials
http://dju.prodj.com/courses/music/c4.html

Quick Reference Guide
http://dju.prodj.com/courses/music/c5.html

Wedding Activities Songs
http://www.weddingromance.com/music/index.html

One word of advise:
Don't play club mixes!
Older crowds like to hear songs exactly as they know them.

Don't try playing obscure songs that you like. Again, people at parties like to hear songs they know.

Play sets of song types from the same genre.
Several slow, several disco, several swing, several pop.
If you jump around too much, it seems sloppy at an event.

If this is a wedding, there is a whole set of things that need to be done in an order and with style.

Good Luck!
Clayton
In Vogue

Posted Sat 04 Jan 03 @ 4:09 pm
wow Clayton ...you hit the nail RIGHT ON THE HEAD.i can see you have been spinning for awhile or had a VERY good teacher.i look forward to getting the full version of atomixmp3 and joining the ranks of full users......lol......anyways.........good advice sir and i copied those sites down........going to go there myself

Posted Sat 04 Jan 03 @ 4:33 pm
Thanks, but actually I'm just the company owner. Not a DJ.

The company provides Photography, Video Production, DJ, Stage Lighting and a few other things on the Gulf Coast. I'm Photographer at events. Which allows me to see a lot of good and bad DJs in our area.

We do so many different types of events, we have to keep up with all forms of music and activities requested.

Thank the hard working people at the sites listed above for their work on compiling the information.

www.prodj.com is probably your best bet for getting information on becoming a professional DJ.

Take care.
Clayton
In Vogue

Posted Sat 04 Jan 03 @ 5:25 pm
DJ-LTHome userMember since 2001
most of the time you play music of the eighteis and the nineties. And espessially for the people that are older then 40 music of the seventies.

Have fun

DJ LT

Posted Sun 05 Jan 03 @ 8:05 pm
It all depends on the crowd. Some parties the host/hostess leaves it up to you to decide on what's best.

You can't go wrong with Hip-Hop and R&B ... newer hits and wideley heard classics. Most of the clubs I go to are packed with University and College students ... 85% of the stuff they play is Rap and Urban, which everyone seems to agree on. The other stuff is comprised of Classics (Red Red Wine, Busta Move, Billie Jean) and popular house (Shiny disco Balls).

Only try the different stuff (i.e club mixes) in an environment you've been in before. My buddy has been DJing this bar for over a year now ... at first he played it safe by playing music that everyone has heard. Now you hear him throw something different in alot of times.

Posted Mon 06 Jan 03 @ 12:12 am
Thanks so much to all of you! That information was so useful, and the party turned out excellent. The list of songs on that website url was spectacular! Once again, Thank You All!

-MixMasterMatt

Posted Tue 07 Jan 03 @ 1:34 am

Very glad it worked out.

If you need anything else, feel free to ask.

Take care.
Clayton
In Vogue

Posted Tue 07 Jan 03 @ 4:14 pm
just try some r'n'b , commercial house and lots of music from the 70's and the 80's

this works for me

see for yourself...

http://chiromagneet.vze.com

greetz

Posted Tue 07 Jan 03 @ 11:54 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)