Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Poll: Bomb-proof 2 card system?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm currently running a Creative Audigy sound card on an HP 1.2 ghz AMD, dual-boot WinME/W2k. Since I'm due for a new computer soon, I'm curious to hear what people have found to be the most stable, cleanest sounding two-sound card setup for Atomixmp3. The Audigy is good enough for home use, I guess, but it serves up too many hiccups for taking out on jobs. I'm really looking forward to getting rid of all the CD's but, as things are, I'm stuck with 'em...
Who's got "the system" to take on the road!?

Posted Mon 02 Dec 02 @ 9:42 pm
I have a p4 1.8G laptop w/ an external USB soundcard (ego-sys U24.) I think this setup works pretty well on a totally clean win2k system. Nevertheless, considering all the annoying small problems atomix is riddled with if I were to choose now what laptop+soundcard to buy I'd ditch it altogether and get traktor2 w/ one of their recommended dual-channel USB cards. you get a professional product with ASIO support and the possibility of using an external MIDI controller for it...

s.

Posted Mon 02 Dec 02 @ 11:08 pm
I have a dedicated & clean Duron 800MHz PC, with Terratec soundcard, 160 Gb of harddisk, installed in a rackmounted PC (part of one flightcase with Flatscreen monitor etc...).

It runs on Win XP, and shows no glitches whatsoever, even after several hours of live duty.

I did experience problems in the past, but those appeared to be caused by the fact that my PC was installed in an inclined way (i.e. not horizontally). The harddisks (7200 RPM) didn't like that apparently, and they caused problems.
Since I've installed the PC horizontally, it's as stable as a rock.

If I'm not mistaken the Terratec card hosts 2 identical circuits for the Front and Rear exists, so why would you want two seperate soundcards ? To use twice as much system resources ?

Rgds,

DJ Corpse

Rgds,

DJ Corpse

Posted Mon 02 Dec 02 @ 11:23 pm
Hey! I appreciate the responses...

I guess I must be dense- I still haven't figured out how to configure some of this stuff. Then again, I'm now a semi-certified oldtimer who's only knowledge of computers is what he's learned in the last 2 years- by pushing buttons and seeing what happens :-O I thought the only way to preview a song while another one is playing is to run two sound cards. I'm going to build a dedicated system for Atomixmp3 and really didn't think 2 cards would hurt things too much... I've never heard of Terratec or Traktor2- Guess I'll hafta check 'em out... Thanx again!

Posted Tue 03 Dec 02 @ 7:33 am
well the thing is that if you're really building a setup from scratch just for mobile dj'ing then it's worth looking at all the options. it used to be that any laptop and 2 soundcards were enough and then you could choose whatever software you wanted.
then final scratch came ( http://www.finalscratch.com ) and that has a special set of hardware requirements since it runs on linux only. Traktor2.0 ( http://www.traktor-dj.com/ ) also has his special needs because it will only support 1 multichannel card (i.e. a card that has more 2 stereo outputs) with ASIO drivers. atomix is the easiest to please (so to speak) since theoretically it'll run on anything and w/ any 2 soundcards but the performance is far from what's required at professional level (f.e. for latency) and there might be other "hidden incompatibilities" considering all the weird problems people complain about and that haven't been answered/solved yet.
so now things aren't that easy anymore. you better know what software you want to use first and then pick the hardware that works with it.

g.

Posted Tue 03 Dec 02 @ 6:34 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)