Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Copy Control ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello peopz,

More and more new CD's are being released with Copy Control, which makes ripping them to MP3 for use with Atomix close to impossible.

Do you know of a way to get around that problem?

By the way : I only rip CD's for which I have (and keep) the original, hence this request is completely legal (at least where I live).

Kind regards,

DJ Corpse

Posted Mon 02 Dec 02 @ 1:57 pm
mixalisPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Have you use audiograbber for ripping?
I have no ploblem at all with Copy Control cds.
By the way and i only rip CD's for which I have (and keep) the original, hence this request is completely legal (at least where I live).

Posted Mon 02 Dec 02 @ 2:13 pm
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
QUOT By the way : I only rip CD's for which I have (and keep) the original, hence this request is completely legal (at least where I live). /QUOT

Well Corpse, here it is legal, as long as you don't make the MP3s you have publicly aviable (P2P & co), and you pay SABAM everytime you give a non-private gig, or when you play on a gig not for your own use (if I'm well informed)...

Greetz, Ikke

Posted Mon 02 Dec 02 @ 3:26 pm
GrimmPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Just do a search on the internet. Plenty of sites available with information on how to rip cd's that use some kind of copy protection. Try searching for the parent companies name (ie Sony, BMG, etc), and copy protection, ripping, etc. You sould be able to find the information you need.

Grimm

Posted Mon 02 Dec 02 @ 6:23 pm
cant you play it in a normal cd player and use the line in??

Posted Mon 02 Dec 02 @ 8:08 pm
EkinoxPRO InfinityMember since 2003
sure it work but what a waste of time...
Ekinox

Posted Mon 02 Dec 02 @ 8:42 pm
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
And some loose of quality unless you use SPDIF or the other digital format (can't remember the name. AES or something??)

Posted Mon 02 Dec 02 @ 9:14 pm
That would require a soundcard that has a digital SPDIF input on it ... none of the typical SB Live! cards have them ... they require a special add-on module for that..

I have a digital cable box, with a digital output on it. I want to rip the songs on the "audio channels" which play euro/trance music, but I need that add-on card which supports that feature.

I'm sorry ... I would like to purchase original CD's ... but

1) They are just too damn expensive over here
2) Many of the songs are available vinyl-only
3) I don't want to pay $24.99 for a CD in which I only need 2 songs

Posted Tue 03 Dec 02 @ 2:47 pm
hi dj corpse (you're that fx writer, right? kudos!),

i only had one or two protected cds so far (i hardly buy anything from major labels). at first, i couldn't read them, but then i upgraded my cd writer's firmware, and audiograbber ripped them just fine.

the industry's current attempts at copy-protecting cds are an outrage IMO - they're trying to achieve the exact opposite of the cd standard's intended purpose: cds are supposed to be playable on every cd-compatible device, and they are trying to make them playable on some devices, but not on others.

moreover, they are trying to prohibit perfectly legal uses of their music (such as playing it with atomix).

but that's another topic, sorry... *-)

Posted Tue 03 Dec 02 @ 3:43 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)