Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Dual creative Extigy's ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

stuxxxPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi all

Had a bit of a mare recently when my Extigy decided to pack up fortunately i wasnt working at the time ! I returned the Extigy to creative and they have replaced it but I had to buy another whilst waiting for the replacement...

As I now have two Extigys is it possible to run both together rather than use the laptop internal sound card and one Extigy?

I have tried plugging both in but I get a driver error on the second one... Is there a way around this???

Any advice appreciated

Cheers all

STU

Posted Sat 30 Nov 02 @ 4:26 pm
Any thoughts on this one guys ??

Thanks

Stu

Posted Wed 04 Dec 02 @ 8:52 pm
YodaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I have an Extigy and I don't understand why you would want to do this. If it is so you can use headphones, I use the front output as the main output and the rear output for monitoring with headphones. Simply configure the Extigy for a four speaker setup with the creative mixer program and configure atomix with the extigy as a 3D sound card. Hope this helps.

Posted Thu 05 Dec 02 @ 2:18 pm
I run both outputs to an external mixer and as i now own 2 extigy's i wondered if it is possible to use an extigy for each channel rather than use the inferior internal sound card...

Hence the query !!!

anyone else out there tried it or perhaps something similar ?

Stu

Posted Thu 05 Dec 02 @ 5:24 pm
YodaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Sorry but I still don't understand. If you are using an external mixer then you still only need one extigy. Make the front output one deck output and the rear output the other deck output. The cue-mixing / monitoring is then done on the external mixer. Thats how I would do it anyway. I see no reason to use the inferior internal sound card. Unless I'm still missing the point...

Just to add my theory on the dual extigy point. I doubt you would be able to get more than one extigy to work on a single USB bus for two reasons.

1. They will probably have the same hardware ID so the PC won't be able to tell them apart.

2. The bandwidth of the USB bus would probably not be enough to support more than one extigy at a time.

If you really want to try and get both extigys working I suggest you try and run them on different USB buses. That may work. Good luck.

BTW I don't know for a fact that these answers are correct. It just seems logical to me.

Posted Fri 06 Dec 02 @ 11:49 am

I understand what your saying, I do know how to select and connect up the equipment, I just dont think the sound quality of the all the creative soundcards is that good in 3d mode..

hence I usually work with the two soundcards, one internal and the extigy and i have no real problems with it..

Its just that as i now have a spare extigy, it would be nice to
use the two external rather than the existing set up...

If its not possible no worries....

Cheers

Stu

Posted Fri 06 Dec 02 @ 12:56 pm
GrimmPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I dont know if you can run 2 Extigys, but be aware...

Since the Extigy uses the USB bus, it uses more cpu cycles and resources when playing audio from the computer, and not to mention more latency then an internal PCI card. Trying to run 2 at the same time, even if possible, would probably end up causing synching problems, and maybe even hiccups in the audio when the computer tries to access and control both Extigys.

But if I'm not mistaken, the Extigy doesn't suffer the poor/dissimiliar audio from the front and rear channel outputs like the internal Creative cards do. I believe the same DACs are used for all the outputs on the Extigy.

Grimm

Posted Fri 06 Dec 02 @ 1:15 pm
Hmm interesting

to be honest I havent actually tried using 3d on the extigy but i know on my old sblive 5.1 and existing audigy internal (on my desktop) the sound isnt that good...

Ive worked most of this year with an extigy and the laptop internal with no real problems, perhaps i should take the view "if it aint broken, don't try to fix it!"

Its approaching the busiest time of the year so I won't take any chances

Happy mixing

Cheers all

STU

Posted Fri 06 Dec 02 @ 4:54 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)