Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: What do you use to rip CD's and encode MP3

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

What software do you use to rip CD's and encode MP3 files?
And what bitrate do you guys recommend for best quality?
Do you think variable bitrates do a great job?

Posted Thu 24 Oct 02 @ 8:12 pm
If you want a Simple and efficient CD ripper .. CDEX is REALLY REALLY good.

If you have more time on your hands, then go for Exact Audio Copy ... it's the top-of-the-line ripper which uses the lame codec. It has the best encoding and error correction.

STAY AWAY from Variable bitrates !!! I usually rip at 192 !!! anything above that I personally do not notice a difference. IF space is not an issue and sound quality is top priority, definately go for 256 or 320 even. Space does become and issue when you have massive libraries -> 2000+ songs

Posted Fri 25 Oct 02 @ 3:59 am
Thanks. I think EAC does a better job at ripping CD's. The problem is that it always uses variable bitrate. I don't know how to set it to use fixed bitrate. I set it to high quality and 256.
By the way, what's wrong with variable bitrate? It is supposed to give better quality for a similar filesize. I am not too concerned about file sizes. I am doing most of my stuff at 256 and some old stuff (from old recordings) at 192 since I think CD's made from old recordings don't have very high sound quality anyway.

Posted Fri 25 Oct 02 @ 6:42 am
I use Roxio Sound Stream to rip CD's. I used to use CDex, but since it seems that it is always a beta product, it usually has a few bugs. I have not had a problem w/Soundstream, so if you're willing to spend a few bucks for EZ Cd creator Platinum(it has Soundstream to rip cd's to mp3, wma, etc., as well as other stuff) It might help you.

Posted Tue 19 Nov 02 @ 2:15 am
RedEyzHome userMember since 2003
Wavelab 3 - that way I can remaster and edit things on the fly.

Posted Fri 22 Nov 02 @ 2:05 pm
kheyoPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
I use "Get It On Cd" of Steinberg (like wavelab) with several options for the mp3's you want to make. A very good program for a reasonable price

kheyo

Posted Fri 22 Nov 02 @ 7:59 pm
i use musicmatch jukebox... nice software... it also converts mp3 files to wav. and vice versa... http://www.musicmatch.com
if you also want, maybe i can get a crack for your demo version of musicmatch.. :)

Posted Tue 26 Nov 02 @ 5:58 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I was using music match, but for some reason the speed dropped of to like 8X for ripping. I've been using Realone, but I can't stand the pop ups. However, it rips at 26X. Has anyone found a GOOD CD ripping program that works well with XP, that doesn't pester you with unwanted adds? I haven't been able to use audio catalyst since I went with XP. It only wants to rip at 1X.. UGH!

Posted Thu 05 Dec 02 @ 8:12 pm
I use "CDEX" and "EAC" -> Exact Audio Copy

GREAT AND SIMPLE PROGRAMS !

Posted Thu 05 Dec 02 @ 9:49 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)