Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: New bug found in 1.08 audio hickups/clicks

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Dear Support,

Please read this note carefully:

After many hours of tuning, configuring and testing, I might have found the bug what is causing audio-output-hickups/clicks/ticks.

I have tested the FULL version 1.08 on several differend systems, including p3, p4, AMD-XP and P4-laptop.
All of the systems have 256MB or more. On each system i have tested 2 differend audio-cards:
1.Hercules console in DJ-mode
2.Delta 410 (professional 8 channel soundcard)
The bug is the same on all systems (which are perfectly tuned to the max).

I think i have isolated the issue:
when loading a song, vdj fills it's buffer. while the other deck is playing-> the sound has hickups, cracks and clicks.

above issue is caused by the following: when using the jogdial to search the first beat, the hickups occure (on both decks)when the jogdial moves back/forward at the first 2 secconds of a song.

i have tested this with many differend songs-> the bug is allways there. no matter length or format(mp3/wma).

I ensure you, i have been computertechnician for 12 years, i know all about tuning systems. This is a serious bug which makes VDJ unusable in front of a live-audience at clubs.

Since i bought VDJ, i would like to get a bug fix a.s.a.p.

also: i would like to be beta-tester if you need one

kind regards,

Cannonball

Posted Mon 19 Jan 04 @ 11:58 am
I couldn't let go the thought that VDJ was not running as it supposed to run at my machines, so i kept testing and configuring.

It's not the memory.. if you don't play long songs (10 mins or longer) 256mb should be enough.

The short interruptions/ticks in audio-output have something to do with Mainboardtype/processortype (i think). As i installed VDJ 1.08 full + herculesconsole on a AMD-XP machine, it ran absolutely FLAWLESS. no hickups, no ticks.. just the way it supposed to :-)

The same error occured at my laptop. a perfectly tuned Dell Inspiron8100 with 256mb 1 Ghz. Audio-hickups and clicks 'n ticks (occasionaly). Guess what: after turning off Intel's 'Speedstep' feature, VDJ runs flawless! the interruptions and clicks were gone :D
it's a pitty that turning off 'speedstep' causes my laptop to run at only 700Mhz (while it's capable of running at 1Ghz).

Posted Tue 20 Jan 04 @ 10:58 am
cannonball, how do you play with the "speedstep" feature.....i have a dell inspiron 2650, last years, 1.8G with 512 ram, 40 gig hdd, i have this little bug, wonderin if maybe you could help me out.

Posted Wed 21 Jan 04 @ 1:03 am
Sure thing. when your laptop boots, it displays a message: press F2 to enter setup.(sometimes it is F10 or other key, depends on your model)

when entering the Bios-settings, goto CPU settings and disable the 'Speedstep' feature. At my laptop i have 7 pages of setup options, i have to swap pages with alt-p.

I'm sure this will help ya.

Posted Wed 21 Jan 04 @ 8:02 am
Well, it's not only on laptops, these cracks in the sound.
I have a MSI Motherboard, VIAKT400, with AMD XP2600+ & 512Mb/333Mhz.(which is theoretically capable of mixing about 32 channels of CD-quality MP3s flawlessly.

What I've noticed is, indeed it's a sort of buffer overflow.
When V-DJ loads the song 'till the max, it gives distortion.

I've tried to figure out some stuff while testing (done that on 3 PC's, not notebooks).

Here is a temporary solution, that works with me:

Go to the settingsmenu, in the 'General' tab.
There is a button "Max Load".
On my configuration I have to set it to "5minutes", or "none".
If I put 10 minutes, indeed the cracking sound still appears.

Disadvantage: You'll not be able to see the song fully loaded beneath the vynildeck on your screen(so you won't exactly know when the beats, or volume is fading in a song).
This is the only thing I've figured out so far.
But, like you, I'm waiting full of anticipation, to get my hands on the newest BUG-fix.

Pleace, V-DJ team! Get a bugfix ASAP!

Posted Sun 22 Feb 04 @ 10:25 am
not too sure if this post is still live but in my opinion....

this "bug" does seem to only appear with certain system configurations. i used to have an MSI KT6 Delta mobo with a 120gb IDE hard drive and i recently upgraded to a DFI LanParty NFII Ultra B mobo and a 200gb SATA hard drive. Now...

:( I'm getting stutters and clicks like crazy. everything ran flawlessly with my old board and hard drive. unfortunately, i don't have that old mobo and hard drive any more, and now i wish i would've kept them because, for now, i've had to put all of my private parties on hold. it's impossible to play live shows any more and practicing is basically useless. not too sure whether a vdj software upgrade could fix this, but then again, i'm a wishful thinker! it's just a shame that upgrading to much better hardware could cause all of this. perhaps a future software update will fix this (lets all hope out there!). Peace!

-------------------------------------------
DFI LanParty NFII Ultra B
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
768MB PC2700
ATI All-in-Wonder 9800 Pro 128MB
Western Digital 200gb SATA
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 (any one have recommendations on a better sound card?)
VirtualDJ 1.08
--------------------------------------------

one more question: has any one had this problem happen with IDE drives too? or is it just me being paranoid about my SATA drive?

Posted Tue 02 Mar 04 @ 7:08 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)