Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Is there a way to remove vocals?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello forum... does anyone know of any software or hardware that will remove vocals from songs and leave either a. the beat or b. let you place the vocals as their own mp3, letting you "lace" the vocals over another beat?

Posted Wed 19 Dec 01 @ 7:23 am
I have never found an effective way of removing the vocals of a song. Programs that work by removing common vocal frequencies also remove key frequencies of the song, which can give the tune a 'dead' sound, lacking in mid-range.

Programs that allow you to remove certain bands of frequencies give you more control over what is removed, but this can be tedious and time-consuming. You can use audio editing software to determine the frequencies used by the vocal parts of a song, and then remove only these frequencies, however, some of the frequencies will match those used by instruments, etc in the song and so you can lose quality again.

Vocals tend to be in the mid-range frequency band, which is unfortunate. Just use an EQ to remove the mid-range and listen to how the song then sounds, it will be dull and dead, as though it is being played inside a cardboard box. Thus, removing too much of the mid-range will reduce the quality by an unacceptable amount. I know of professionals who use experience, lot's of time and a lot of expensive equipment to do almost anything with an audio signal, probably even being able to remove vocals effectively, but their time is precious, and therefore costly.

I'm sure there are people on this forum who can vouch for good software that I have not tried...

MiXmAsTeR

Posted Wed 19 Dec 01 @ 2:03 pm
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
I know one which isn't that bad (ok, it removes also other parts of the sound, but there are worse plugins). It's the vocal remover of AnalogX (www.analogx.com). Check it out and let me know what you think about it. There are also (hardware) devices to remove vocals, but you can't use them with 1 channel of Atomix, unless you use a mixer.

Greetz, ikke

Posted Wed 19 Dec 01 @ 2:45 pm
YodaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I've heard it said that vocals can be removed by removing the mono component of a track, since vocals tend to be mono where as the rest of a track is usually stereo. I've never tried to do this so don't take it as fact.

Posted Thu 20 Dec 01 @ 11:12 am
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
Mm, I don't think you're right. First of all, the voice isn't always mono (if 2 people sing together, 1 at the right channel and the other at the left one, it's a stereo recording!). And the other part of the music is mostly also mono (except if they use panning (e.g. an auto pan effect)). It's even impossible to get the mono tracks out of your song: there is no algorithm possible to achieve this. It's physically impossible. If not, correct me!

Greetz, ikke

Posted Thu 20 Dec 01 @ 5:56 pm
I don't think so.

The best way is: get the song as many version (remix) as many you can then use an editor for mix them. In this way you'll have your own remix...

Have a good byte!

Posted Sun 13 Jan 02 @ 4:57 pm
Bem, eu conversei com um DJ e ele disse que isso é praticamnete impossivel, como ja foi dito aqui, vc perderia partes essenciais da música também...

[]'s

X-tasy Boys

Posted Mon 21 Jan 02 @ 1:45 pm
Just get the instrumental @ any promo site then play the clean version on 1st deck and the instrumental on the 2nd use the fader to take the vocals out.....

Posted Fri 27 Oct 06 @ 5:56 am

Never to late for an answer I guess;) hehehe

The thread was made Wed 19 Dec 2001, and when inactive early 2002.

But was answered again in 2006.. hehe

Not too bad, as long as there is life, there is hope... hehe

Posted Fri 27 Oct 06 @ 5:41 pm
there is a vst called knockout that is for this purpose,results differ depending on source material,works best with digital straight from cd tracks,search it out and dont be to suprised if it takes a while to get the result you want.

Posted Sat 28 Oct 06 @ 11:13 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
another time capsual :)

Posted Sat 28 Oct 06 @ 11:52 am
khr0nicHome userMember since 2005
download an acapella? lol...just kidding but check this out,

The most effective way to get rid of the vocals in a song, is that you have to look @ the bitrate first. the higher the bitrate the more unlikely you will be able to take the vocals out. the lower (but quality sounding) the better.

check out the plugins for virtual dj with vocal removers. theres 3 plugins that i found to be very useful. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't... when all of the plugins are unsuccessful, then i move on to plan b which is setting the song on Low Eq. and then using the vocal removers all @ once.

sometimes theres NO REAL way to get rid of ALL the vocals in a song (even with a high quality compressors and devocalizing machines). so what im sayin is, its very difficult depending on the song to get the vocals out all the way.. sometimes u will have a blunt, muffled sound in the background of the song which means that the vocals overpower the instrumentals.

so yeh ... best of luck.lol

Posted Fri 03 Nov 06 @ 1:06 am
*download an instrumental... which is what that dude said lol, i opened up my virtual dj and checked to see wut i do to remove vocals step by step, but still some songs are just near to impossible lol

Posted Fri 03 Nov 06 @ 1:08 am
they might have been kidnapped by north korea now lol

or might have given up lol

Posted Fri 03 Nov 06 @ 1:25 am
Supa DHome userMember since 2006
if any one know's how to remove vocals from a song hit me up!

Posted Fri 03 Nov 06 @ 7:39 pm
if you buy pro

you have acess to a vocal removal plugin

aslo can be done with adobe audtion

Posted Fri 03 Nov 06 @ 11:30 pm
you have acess to a vocal removal plugin
[Download a Vocal Removal Plugin w/o Pro]

aslo can be done with adobe audtion
[Doesn't work too well...]

...Verdict?

Posted Thu 09 Nov 06 @ 6:24 am
buy pro...

Posted Thu 09 Nov 06 @ 11:22 am
mwemweHome userMember since 2011
Try Audacity

Posted Thu 22 Sep 11 @ 6:55 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Five year old thread...

Posted Thu 22 Sep 11 @ 7:02 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)