Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VDJ deletes vital song information!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

It's bad enough that every time you edit the title of a song, VDJ automatically looses all info regarding BPM, cue points, and comments...

But THIS is downright aggravating!

VDJ tells me it need to update it's database (or some such), and pow! just like that, I lose all the info on over 15,000 tunes!!!

WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?

Posted Wed 31 Dec 03 @ 5:55 pm
VDJ need to make an update of the database when you upgrade from version 1.06 to 1.07 (or higher) because there are some modification to do in database. It is your situation?

If yes, search with the “search engine” in forum about "database", you can find some tips about this manipulation to recover all your info.

Coyote

Posted Wed 31 Dec 03 @ 6:59 pm
Thanks for the reply. But, no, not at all... I am running 1.08.

There are seven hard drives in this computer. Four of them are on a seperate RAID controller that sometimes fails to boot, because of IRQ conflicts or something of that sort, I suppose,.. (who knows?) anyway, I assume that when VDJ noticed that some of it's normal directeries were missing, this promted the file update fiasco.

Whatever the initiating circumstance, this will cost me many hours of work!

Posted Wed 31 Dec 03 @ 7:10 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I too have had multiple hard drives in the past. As a matter of course, I always allowed VirtualDJ to do a full scan (not analyse) of all my drives whenever I launch it. I haven't had a database error since I started doing this. (actually I never had a database error with VirtualDJ, but I had back when I was using Atomixmp3, I've just kept the same habit)
Could be just lucky... Could be that the scan helps the software make corrections to the database.

Posted Wed 31 Dec 03 @ 7:35 pm
I wish I knew a little more (heck,.. anything at all) about the method(s) used by VDJ to store the info. I don't understand how it could lose it all (poof) in an instant!

At least then I could form an educated opinion about what is wrong with the system being used now. At this point, I think it's just whacked.

The info stored about each song is one of the main reasons for using the software and a computer, rather than a standard Dennon player or whatever. However,.. if you can't depend on that to be there when you need it....

Posted Thu 01 Jan 04 @ 3:41 am
Okay, I tried searching the forum for the word "database" (as some one suggested) to try and turn up some information as to how I might recover my file info, but to no avail.

So I've been doing some of my own thinking about the problem, and looking into the way I percieve VDJ to store it's data relating to the music files.

After opening the "internal database" using "notepad",.. although much of the data is coded,.. I find that aparently when anylizing, VDJ makes note of the unique name of the given file, and then records the pertinent data regarding that particular file, in a delimited format within the database.

I assume that the next time VDJ sees that title, it goes back to it's database, matches the name, and takes the information needed from that individual record.

However,.. I am thinking that as unwanted files will inivitably be deleted from the hard drive from time to time by the user, there must be a provision for some type of automatic deletion built in to the program as well, otherwise many usleless (being now defunct) records would clog, and slow down the database access,.. right?

And here lies the problem,... it would seem that when VDJ noticed several directories missing, it "updated" it's database, and wiped out a months work in the faulty clean-up process!

Now,.. I don't know much about ID3, but I assume that with this (ID3) process, info is actally written into the audio file itself. which to me appears to be an exponentially better idea than attempting store the data elsewhere, and trying to match it up when needed.

That is my main gripe about MS windows,.. where as in DOS, you loaded a program, and everything pertaining to it was right there in that folder with that self same program,... Windows has a dozen different places where it tries to store configuration files, DLLs, and other data on it's programs... IMO,.. the new system is a big step backward. It's much more complicated and much less reliable than DOS.

Unless some one can explain otherwise, I think VDJ should be changed to store it's info in ID3 , and the SOONER the BETTER!!!

Many songs are already encoded with ID3 info, and some or all of that information can be very usefull to the DJ. We should be able to access that data through the program, when needed.

-- Little Stevie --

Posted Thu 01 Jan 04 @ 10:29 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)