Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Save BPM's in mp3 tag / read other dj program bpm tags

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I really wish Virtual DJ would store the bpm count and normalization information (gain) IN THE MP3 ITSELF.

Why this is important:
==============
When the DJ reloads the system or move tracks around VirtualDJ would not have to count thosands and thosands of tracks all over again!

A better Idea:
==============
It would be nice if VirtualDJ read existing MP3 tag info like BPM studio and PCDJ does. Currently these two programs share the same tag info. A track counted in PCDJ can be read in BPM, and vice versa. The information is stored in the header of the mp3 itself

I want to help:
==============
I can send VirtualDJ support an MP3 file that has been bpm counted with another DJ program, please email me at wirelessdj@comcast.net

I hope that VirtualDJ support will add support to the next release!!

Still stuck with no answer:
==============
Since I have NO solution to this problem, Can someone PLEASE tell me exactly how to back up the VirtualDJ record case so that when I move the drive around from system to system I do not have to recount all the tracks?

Assume for a moment that all of my tracks are stored on an external firewire or usb drive and my laptop is going to be reloaded.

1. I would disconnect the external drive that contains the MP3's so there is
no chance of losing the data.
2. I would make sure I have VirtualDJ 1.08 and serial burned to a CDR
3. I would WIPE my system and reinstall the OS/Drivers
4. I would re-install VirtualDJ with my serial number

What folder/directory do I copy/backup? How do I restore the information to the freshly loaded machine? Where is the info stored? Is there a way to EXPORT it to another drive? How about stroring the info in the directory
itself?

This is a general discussion, what do you all think? how do you deal with this problem?

Posted Tue 30 Dec 03 @ 3:42 am
Please post your message in only one forum

Thanks

Coyote

Posted Tue 30 Dec 03 @ 3:54 am
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I hope beyond all hope that they NEVER make virtualdj reliant on id3 tags! It's taken me years to encode my archives, and I don't want ANY software making ANY changes or notations to any of my files.
You can back up your bpm info and comments by going into your virtualDJ folder and finding this file:
virtualDJ Internal Database

Copy it and save it.

You can entirely uninstall your virtualDJ and re-install it on a completely different drive, and this will keep your bpm and file information the same.

Good luck.

Posted Tue 30 Dec 03 @ 5:40 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Wireless,

I agree totally!! All my bpm's are right in pcdj ,but (big but) The vdj bpm counter can not be trusted. I'm sure a script can be written just like the phraser one to import this tag info is the problem comes in when its not it a "standard" part of the tag!

Posted Tue 30 Dec 03 @ 7:48 am

Before a complete reload, what folder/directory do I copy/backup so I do not lose my bpm counts?

How do I restore the information to the freshly loaded machine?

What happens if the drive letter or file locations change?

Posted Wed 31 Dec 03 @ 3:15 am
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
See the above post!
To keep your bpm's and other info from your collection, copy this file from your virtualdj folder: virtualDJ Internal Database

Here's what I know about the drive letter question. On my desktop that I use here at home, I have a 120 gig drive used ONLY for my mp3's.
On my laptop that I use when working, I have a 120 gig firewire drive that is an exact duplicate of the one in my desktop. On my laptop it's called the F drive, but on my desktop it's called the D drive.
I decided to see if drive letter was an issue. I copied the virtualDJ Internal Database file from the laptop, and pasted it in the virtualdj folder on my desktop. All was fine. So, to make my life easier, I sat at the comfort of my desk and checked the BPM's of all my re-mixes. I'd guess that perhaps as many as 20% were incorrect. I then manually beat tapped all the incorrect ones, and copied the virtualDJ Internal Database back to my laptop. WHOO HOO! it worked beautifully.

Posted Wed 31 Dec 03 @ 3:27 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)