Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Absolute DJ Beginnings...Any tutorials?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ItsMeHome userMember since 2003
Hi all,

I've always wanted to create mixes of song "x" and song "y" but have never had the chance (lack of equipment mainly :)). Yesterday I stumbled upon VirtualDJ and my passion has come back. I want to learn!
I spent the entire day learning how VirtualDJ works, so I'm pretty confident without most of the gadgets....the problem is, my "DJ skills". I have NO idea what I'm doing when it comes to constructing music. I don't know when to cut one song and go to another, nor do I know how to do this (by "how" I mean, crossfading, cut straight away and go to the next track, etc.). The actual DJ stuff is where I lack skill, but I really want to learn and am willing to put in the time....

What I'd like to know is, is there ANY tutorials which outline these things? Something written for a newbie to it all like myself. Ideally it would be something where they give you 2 sample songs (preferably public domain tracks) and say "listen to track 1. Can you hear at 2:59 where the song dies down. This is the ideal place to go into track 2 at 1:30", etc. Then they'd give you a sample of a mix between track 1 and 2. You'd listen to that and try to duplicate it as an exercise, building skills as you go along.
Is there anything like that around? Anyone working on something like that. That would be fantastic! Am I just dreaming?

Thanks for VirtualDJ. I may not be the greatest, but this prog is going to help me :)

Posted Sun 28 Dec 03 @ 6:08 am

Posted Sun 28 Dec 03 @ 8:17 pm
And if you like VDJ, you should consider buying it ;o)

Posted Sun 28 Dec 03 @ 8:27 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)