Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Atomix Freezing Up

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

sometimes when i'm trying to add a song to the non playing deck it takes ages to appear and the song that has been faded out continues to play even if i press stop!?!?!?!?! it takes at least 20 seconds to correct itself!??!

Posted Sat 03 Aug 02 @ 10:29 pm
Have you got 128 mg on wXP?

Posted Sat 03 Aug 02 @ 11:01 pm
no i have 384 meg of ram using windows 98

Posted Sun 04 Aug 02 @ 1:25 am
I have, too. So, have you the official DirectX 8.1b? The first version available on Microsoft Download was a beta (it seems...). Try with the final.

Or: I have downloaded the Tweak-Me whick optimize my ram (w98). With that one, the system works better I think. It's exactly the same that Tweak XP.

http://www.pctip.ch/downloads/dl/20569.asp

Posted Sun 04 Aug 02 @ 9:37 am
aknit44Home userMember since 2002
I experience this problem too, and I've noticed that it has very little to do with system RAM.

The time it takes to load a folder or drive will depend on the size of the folder, i.e the number of MP3s in that folder or on that drive. This is because it pre-scans the folder and does a quick index, mostly so if you have enabled indexing services on Windows, available on Windows 2000. I'm not sure about Windows XP, but I know Windows 9x doesn't have it.

What I do is I partition my drives in such a way that I spread my MP3s equally across different folders, so I can have between 4,000 and 5,000 per folder. At 4,500, loading a folder can take as much as 12 seconds, during which time Atomix will freeze, but will continue to play the song from RAM, either physical or sound card memory, or both.

My trick to not getting into a situation is to load a folder or drive at least 1:10 minutes before a song ends, that way I have about 45 seconds to prepare a song for mixing.

I guess it's something we have to live with for a while, because other applications such as Winamp, Windows File Explorer, etc, will take some time in opening a folder or drive, depending on the size of the contents or the folder on that drive.

Posted Mon 05 Aug 02 @ 1:42 pm
Just to add something, if your OS supports process prioritising, such as Windows 2000, you can assign a High Process Priority for Atomix. I have noticed that this can reduce folder loading times by as much as 7 seconds.

However, you will have to strike a balance between system speed/performance and stability. For instance, Real Time priority will give you excellent system response from Atomix, but may mar your sound when changing folder or re-organising your play lists. Also, it could lead the OS into an unstable situation.

Play around with it and see what happens, if your OS supports it.

Posted Mon 05 Aug 02 @ 1:46 pm
@aknit44, the priority doesn't exist on w98, only with NT engine.

So, if I have suggested to d/l the Tweak-Me, it's because that one allows optimise the Ram and resources. It's allows clean unless dll files. Then, the system works better I think. Atomix too.

By the other hand, a French user experiencing the same problem that Walkers with some little folders.

NB: In fact, why do you include 5000 titles into the same folder!?

Posted Mon 05 Aug 02 @ 2:00 pm
Process priority setting was just an option I was giving if he was using Windows 2000 or Windows XP, as both are based on the NT File System.

There are other things to try if he isn't using these OSs, like you've already suggested. I haven't tried these myself, so I can't say much about them.

5,000 songs in a single directory is good for me, it allows me to select a large amount of music without having to trot around my computer all day/night long. Depending on what theme night I am playing, I could spend hours on a single folder, and only make a few moves if a listener/clubber has requested for a specific song.

It's all preference.

Posted Tue 06 Aug 02 @ 11:46 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)