Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Atomix on a 'slower' system...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

RedEyzHome userMember since 2003
I have a AMD K62-500Mhz, 512M SDRam and a SB PCI 128

Atomic runs through my 4.1 surround speakers with a mono Y Split and my headphones. Everything sounds totally wicked while I just mix stuff together on a regular - but if I try to record it I get chops, bumps, blips, bleeps and all kindsa stuff.

Any idea on how I can have this not happen? Recording with an external program [Wavelab] didn't seem to solve the problem.

I'm think my PC is just too damn slow...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. =)

Posted Fri 10 May 02 @ 10:44 am
GrimmPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Your problem could be a combination of your hard drive (and or controller card) and the speed of your computer.

A K6 isn't exactly the newest cpu around, and if I'm not mistaken, your motherboards IDE controller card is probably only a ATA-33. Thats pretty slow, and having the cpu accessing the hard drive to read a file, playback the file, alter the audio by whatever settings you may be running (EQ, Volume, Gain, Tempo, Effects, etc), then at the same time having it write to the hard drive can be *very* cpu intensive.
Add to that the slow access speed to the hard drive, and you more then likely get the problems you have.

The only suggestions I can give are these.

1. Close all running programs before you use Atomix to record a mix. Any program, even minimized, can steal cpu cycles away from Atomix.

2. Try a fresh OS install with all the latest drivers. With Windoze, this seem to help alot. It sure did for me. ;)

3. Upgrade to a newer computer. If you can build your own, or are not afraid to, check out http://www.pricewatch.com for the cheapest prices around. You can get a new mobo and cpu for under $100 and resuse most of your current hardware.

Grimm

Posted Fri 10 May 02 @ 12:57 pm

Thanks for the info... I figured as much as putting a new PC together. I'm in the process of saving up for parts as it is.

Planning on an XP 2.0+ with a gig of DDR 333 and a 120GB Maxtor drive. I know that's gonna solve my problems. =)

I just though if I could do something in the mean time it owuld have been nice.

Thanks.

Posted Mon 13 May 02 @ 2:58 am
Good thing when you don't log in huh?

Posted Mon 13 May 02 @ 2:58 am
that system is a wet dream

Posted Mon 13 May 02 @ 5:22 am
GrimmPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Wait till I get a P4 2.4 with the 533 bus. 8)

Posted Mon 13 May 02 @ 7:13 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)