Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: which configuration of os/sound card mboard etc works well?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

yammezzHome userMember since 2001
can any one tell me which combination of sound card, operating system ,cpu etc is best for atomix. amd 800 , win 98 se, aureal vortex 2 works fine.any one know if win 2000 professional ( fully updated) will run ok?

Posted Mon 29 Apr 02 @ 9:02 pm
stuxxxPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I am running w2k pro on both my laptop and desktop and use the laptop for live work regularly with no problems..

I am using 2 soundcards in the desktop, a SB5.1 and an Audigy and the sound quality is excellent.

On the laptop is a built in creative card and i also use a extigy external card for the second channel which both go through a numark matrix 3 mixer..

The desktop is a amd 1.3ghz on a abit motherboard with 1024mb of ram

The lapy is a p4 1.8ghz with 512mb of ram..

Hope this is of interest

its just important to keep those drivers up todate !

Regards

STU

Posted Tue 30 Apr 02 @ 1:04 am
RUN XP IF YOU CAN !!!!!!! Win2k gave me problems, but xp Has never given me problems. Win2k is only good for networking purposes. But as far as personal use goes (including atomix) ... XP is the BEST by far !

Posted Tue 30 Apr 02 @ 3:34 am
aknit44Home userMember since 2002
Mmmm... i guess you're wrong about Windows 2000 .. personally, i am not a Windows guy, but i have come to like Windows 2000, because it's, in my opinion, the most rock-solid Windows implementation ever, not even XP comes close... if i had to run a Windows alongside my UNIX machines, i would take Windows 2000 ... it's more configurable, manageable, stable, a little faster than the other Windows versions.. and generally, quite stable...

XP is actually based on Windows 2000, with alot of color and entertainment features added.... i have Atomix 2.1 running on my system, quite well actually, these are my specs:

1.12GHz AMD Athlon Processor
786MB SD-RAM
3x40GB Maxtor and Samsung IDE HDD
Acer DVP1648A DVD-ROM
nVidia GE-Force MX400 with 64MB DDR RAM
Gigabyte Motherboard
VIA Chipset
Software-based VIA DMA Driver
Creative Sound Blaster Live! Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster PCI 128 WDM On Board Sound Card
Windows 2000 Server with SP2

Good luck..

Posted Tue 30 Apr 02 @ 11:40 am
I am just saying that XP is the best, All-around. which is in my opinion.

Posted Mon 06 May 02 @ 1:26 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)