Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: New Atomix 2.1 Skipping errors - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I hate to do this since it's what the atomix' quality assurance dept. (if there's any such thing...) is supposed to be doing, but here's a possible solution to CPU load/skipping problems.
first of all I don't believe that the kernel goes to 100% when the skipping happens as was suggested in a previous post: I monitored the CPU and on my P4 it rarely even reached 50% and yet I had skips anyway...

my laptop had XP pro on, and I wanted to keep it because their cleartype technology for fonts makes such a big difference on my TFT that it'd be a waste not to use it, but win2k is definitely more stable and less demanding in terms of resources so I decided to go w/ a dual boot.

this has also a nice side effect of allowing an ultra-minimal w2k installation leaving XP for "normal" use (net connection etc.)
the main thing to keep in mind is that although XP and 2000 can live side by side on the same partition (2000 installs in C:\winnt, XP in c:\windows) 2000 has to be installed first (if you have XP installed already you can install 2000 but then you'll have to repair the XP installation from the original CD).

install 2000 w/ net support and download all the service packs/patches/drivers, then when you're done upgrading, remove all the networking components, and disable all the devices not necessary for atomix (I left only audio and USB support). then you can use this http://www.nemesysmusic.com/support/W2k_XP_Optimize.pdf as a useful guideline especially to figure out what services to remove.

after all this was done I had a win2k installation that started w/ only 13 processes running and taking up less than 50M of RAM. I tested atomix 2.1.1 w/ 2 tracks playing at the same time, equalizer on for both channels, 2 effects active per channel, time stretch enabled and a text-to-speech program running on top of everything. CPU was peaking at 25% and as far as I could tell there was no skipping even when browsing the list, previewing a track and nudging the preview back and forth.
the real test will be next saturday when I use it on my radio show, but now I'm pretty optimistic.

hope this helps someone else out there. have fun,

gd

Posted Tue 22 Oct 02 @ 10:58 pm
I forgot to mention that the display is set at 1024x768 w/ 16bit color and I use the JBS skin windowed (although it takes up all the screen) because I want to avoid the display switch when I need to access the desktop.

gd

Posted Tue 22 Oct 02 @ 11:15 pm
time to bump this thread... months have passed, people keep posting the same issues over and over and yet no "official" answer. I read all sort of crap from "run dvdplayer in the background" to "disable the virtual memory". yet the problems are still there. with the setup I described I managed to get rid of most problems but a few skip remain and other issues like poor sound quality (yes, I disabled time stretch and equalizer, and beat matching) are also still present.

I've been using the program more and more recently after getting a weekly radio show and I've noticed some problems that I hadn't seen before. the first 2 hours usually go smoothly then on the 3rd hour the I get many skips while moving the crossfader and on some tracks the sound is awful even with the pitch at 0. anyone else experienced this kind of degradation as time passed?

g.

Posted Mon 02 Dec 02 @ 11:46 pm
I thought Atomix could not support soundcards using VxD (or VDD) drivers ?

Posted Tue 03 Dec 02 @ 4:53 am
VxD? VDD? what are you talking about? can you please elaborate on that?

g.

Posted Tue 03 Dec 02 @ 5:40 am
dayloreHome userMember since 2002
Soyo Dragon Motherboard
athlon xp 2200
1.5 gigs of ram
80gig hard drive 7200 ata133
SB Audigy Platinum
LeadTek Geforce 4 ti4600
48x burner and DVD player
WinXP w/ SP1

And 2.1 skipz allllllll to hell

Posted Wed 04 Dec 02 @ 8:13 am
mixalisPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I sold my old toshiba 476mhz 192 ram 6mb hd notebook and never but never had skipping errors.
I have now an IBM PIII 1000mhz 396ram 30mb hd with a lot of skipping errors.
My problem now is the man who buy my old Toshiba don't want to give it back to me...ha ha ha
What can i do ???? 8-0

Posted Wed 04 Dec 02 @ 8:20 pm
i cant upgrade my atomix to 2,1 (have 2,0 now)
all i get is wrong serial and it ask if i have the right mailadress
help me please!!!!!!!

Posted Fri 06 Dec 02 @ 2:52 pm
OyyoDamsPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
Please mail to service@atomixmp3.com

Posted Fri 06 Dec 02 @ 3:20 pm
ploggyHome userMember since 2002
thank god!!!,i thought it was my system till i read all these posts,i have just built a new system,xp pro,amd xp2001 cpu,80gb 7200 h/d,1gb ddr memory,but i have put in my player live 1024 card,and i am getting skips and buzzes like mad.
if i go and buy a soundblaster 5.1 card will that cure this problem?

chris

Posted Sat 14 Dec 02 @ 10:49 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)