Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: What USB device should I buy (Extigy or Roland UA1A)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

IamAbPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Can anyone help me with the next desision,
I want an additional output for my laptop Compaq 716EA

I have the choice between the Soundblaster Extigy wich has al lot of additional extras like dolby surround (for other appl.) 24 bit 96kHz converters and 6 outputs

The Roland/Edirol UA1A has no additional features and only 16 bit 44.1 kHz converters. (http://www.edirol.com.au/OneProduct.asp?prod=UA1A)

What about latency en which one will give better audio quality.

Does anybody know if the Extigy can use the front outputs for the mix to the PA and the rear outputs for monitoring, so that I don't have to worry about latency?

The Extigy is about €200 and the Roland about €125.
I'am going to use it on stage.
Regards DJ Appie (NL)

Posted Sun 31 Mar 02 @ 3:58 pm
DJtalonHome userMember since 2001
I have an Extigy right here.

The front output? There's a headphone jack, which disables the speaker output when headphones are plugged in. When you're mixing with 3d sound card / external mixer mode, I assume you hear both channels at once in the headphones.

Wait, you were talking about the "front speaker" output, not the jacks on the front of the card!! :-)

Yes, you can use the front and rear channel outputs for a mixer or monitor/main output, just like you would on an Audigy or a Live!. Latency is wonderful - there really isn't any to speak of, even though it's on USB. I have mine connected to a mixer and it works great.

The sound quality of the Extigy is absolutely smashing, especially when you use a good set of speakers. The remote control is fun, and EAX effects are cool to play with but pretty useless in the long run.

Hope I helped!

Posted Sun 31 Mar 02 @ 9:57 pm
does Extigy differ much comparing to Live!5.1? Talking sound quality wise??

Posted Mon 01 Apr 02 @ 11:30 am
DJtalonHome userMember since 2001
24 bit / 96 khz .... if you have any sounds with that kind of quality, they'll play.

The entire thing is well built but your MP3's are really what the quality issues come from...

Posted Mon 01 Apr 02 @ 10:49 pm
IamAbPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Tomorrow, I am going to buy the Extigy.
This because if I'm going to use the roland for the PA and the internal soundcard for the headphones, I fear there will be a latency. (A latency of 30 msec is very common for USB devices)
If presume that I use the Extigy front speaker output for the PA and the Extigy rear output for the headphones that there won't be any latency between those two.

I will be back with the results.....

Thanks guys, for the support.
DJ Appie

Posted Thu 04 Apr 02 @ 11:19 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)