Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: 3D sound: echo + deck bleedthrough

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am trying to configure Atomix so that I can preview via headphones the selected desk prior to play. Please see the settings which follow the problem I am about to describe:

In channels 1/2 (front) I am getting an echo that sounds much like the onboard effects of the audio card, but they are both muted and at zero gain. However the selected desk being monitored on channels 3/4 (back) does not have this echo.

Also, even when I am hard crossfaded (100%) to the active desk, the selected desk bleeds through the mix on channels 1/2 (front).

I am hopeful this is all a result of something I am doing wrong in configuration. Your help is greatly appreciated as I have a friend's wedding to DJ this Friday and would very much like to use Atomix instead of Winamp.

Here are my system settings:

Audio card: Santa Cruz (Turtle Beach)
Speaker mode: 4 Speaker
Onboard effects: muted
Connections:
1/2 Front: PA Mains
3/4 Rear: Headphones for Cue/Preview

AtomixMP3 Settings:
Hardware = 3D soundcard
Output = Headphones

Windows 98 multimedia setting=Quadraphone Speakers

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Benefactor

Posted Tue 12 Feb 02 @ 7:30 pm
Since no one bothered to answer my question, I will answer it myself.

My "solution" (though not a very good one) was to configure my sound as follows:

(Note: my sound card is a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz 3D card)

1. Instead of 3D Soundcard, select Dual Soundcards

2. For sound card 1, use actual driver (not emulated)*
* You can also use emulated 1/2 (front) but the performance may suffer and there mayl be sound quality degradation.

3. For sound card 2, use emulated 3/4 (rear)

Connections:
PA Mains on 1/2 (front)
Headphones on 3/4 (rear)

Issues:

If you use the actual driver for PA mains, you will notice latency problems between the playback of the emulated device versus the actual device. However the waveform display will accurately reflect the "realtime" beat mixing. If you are brave enough when to crossfade to the new song even though beats are not in synch in your headphones they will be on the PA mains as long as the waveform display shows the beats are in alignment.

This is a sloppy way to get the job done, but it does allow you to preview the upcoming song and beatmix it visually. Your 3D driver may have better emulation than my Santa Cruz so that the latency problems are not an issue.

Good luck.

Benefactor

Posted Sat 16 Feb 02 @ 8:26 pm
FGFalkeHome userMember since 2002
When you have started Atomix you'll have to reklick the 4 speaker option in the Santa Cruz Control Panel.

Posted Mon 12 Aug 02 @ 12:03 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)