Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: I Need Help Normalizing MP3's......

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Can anyone out there provide a little advice/info on Normalizing your MP3's so they will all be of the same sound level? I have Sonic Foundry's Sound Forge, but I have no clue how to do this properly. Anyone know how to use this program or can suggest another program to use??

Thanks for the help!!!

Posted Tue 15 Jan 02 @ 3:05 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Try mp3workshop. I don't remember the url, but I found it by doing a search for mp3workshop. Good luck!

Posted Tue 15 Jan 02 @ 6:19 pm
MikeyHome userMember since 2001
I've tried using Mp3 Workshop, it's pretty good. However, if you only want to normalise your mp3s, without re-encoding them (as you have to do with mp3 workshop), try Mp3Gain at http://www.geocities.com/mp3gain/

It works really fast, and you can re-normalise to different levels without any loss of quality (or so they say). Plus you keep all your id3 v1 and v2 tags, unlike Mp3 Workshop, which I think is fairly old now and doesn't support id3v2 tags. However, one thing I have noted is that after normalising my collection, some mp3s were missing their id3v1 tag. However, this was no problem as the id3v2 tag was still there, so I simply copied them back to the id3v1 using Winamp.

Posted Wed 16 Jan 02 @ 2:56 am
mamaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Resample them?? You don´t need to resample them with MP3Workshop. There´s a button in the upper right corner to normalize WAV files. If you then search for "all files" and queue your MP3´s, it´s done without resampling.

Posted Wed 16 Jan 02 @ 12:42 pm
Thanks everyone, I will try your suggestions!

Posted Wed 16 Jan 02 @ 2:13 pm
MikeyHome userMember since 2001
Thanks for that mama, I didn't think a button labelled "Wav Vol" would normalise mp3 files...sorry, I had only tried the "Mp3 - Mp3" button.

Anyway, Mp3 Gain remains a viable alternative.

Mike

Posted Fri 18 Jan 02 @ 2:54 am
With Sound Forge you can open the file (song) you want to normalize. Once the song is open on your screen, go under "Process" (at the very top of the page) and then from that pulldown menu select "Normalize". A new window will pop up then from the top of that window. You can select how you want to normalize it. You may have to play with the different ones to figure out which one works best for you. Also if you just want to normalize your recording to burn it to a CD, just mix the tracks as they are (un-normalized) and then let your CD software normalize it. I have EZCD creator 5 and if you go under "Sound Stream" there is a built-in normalizer. Glad your Atomix works. Mine skips alot. If only I could talk my wife into that new computer....

Posted Wed 23 Jan 02 @ 9:18 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)